• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fans returning to stadiums put on hold.

They haven’t stepped in to save the travel, tourism and aviation industries as yet, would think saving football clubs is unlikely.
In fairness if I was the government I would ask why the government should be bailing out football when the EPL has over £1 billion in bank accounts ( accounts as at June 2017 £1.6 billion in the bank).

pit pressure on the EPL to help out football in general.
At the very least there is NO WAY the government should be giving money to EPL clubs. What exactly is the EPL going to use the money for?

these are unprecedented times and call for unprecedented solutions

So what does that mean for people that purchased season tickets and more importantly any expected revenue derived from the season ticket?

Think you’ll find they’re listening to some medical chaps instead.

This is the worst thing I have seen during the pandemic, the whole "They are listening to experts" Despite the fact there are plenty of scientists who have already debunked yesterdays briefing. This weird myth that every single expert/scientist/immunologist all agree the same thing, they dont. It is far more nuanced than that and is just a lazy stance.

As Carl Henegan says (Director of evidence based science) we have to learn live with coronavirus as it is an endemic, it is never going to go away. The WHO literally said two days ago they do not adovacate lockdowns as they do not work. SAGE agree also.

This is just a terrible decision and another nail in the coffin for community instituitions

We will.

We’re just waiting on the green light from the council, and that will allow us access to funds again.

In the meantime, all we have to do is fob HMRC off with a few bits and bob payments, which we’ll do by selling a few players.

It’s not ideal, but it’ll have to do for now.

Surely that green light can only come after revised plans have been submitted and reviewed.

Didn't the council take 2 years to review the last set of plans? (That last bit is facetious - I doubt very much they'll take that long again.)

Reactions: GBJ
Surely there’s more chance of Covid spreading in a Wetherspoons on a Friday night (10pm curfew or not) than in a socially distanced, outdoor football stadium with plenty of restrictions and rules in place. I thought the successful return of fans in Germany might have given us a bit of hope that the same could happen over here, but clearly not. We’ll be lucky to be back in Roots Hall before the 20/21 season is over, if the season is even finished that is (and we still have a club to support).

That might be the case in many stadiums, but I actually doubt it at Root Hall where the gangways are very narrow.

France is also going through a second wave but spectators can still attend sporting events although it's down from 5000 max to just 1000. The French Open tennis is still going ahead next Monday.

That might actually be the case in many stadiums, but I actually doubt it at Root Hall where the gangways are very narrow.
The stadium isn’t going to be anywhere near full though. With only 250 people in each stand, time slots to enter/leave the stadium, and the use of masks when walking around the stadium, it shouldn’t be difficult for social distancing to happen and the experience to be safe. Even at Roots Hall.

We will.

We’re just waiting on the green light from the council, and that will allow us access to funds again.

In the meantime, all we have to do is fob HMRC off with a few bits and bob payments, which we’ll do by selling a few players.

It’s not ideal, but it’ll have to do for now.

In the current climate, would the council even sign off on this, when nobody knows what the future holds - if we'll even have a club to go in the stadium etc?

The stadium isn’t going to be anywhere near full though. With only 250 people in each stand, time slots to enter/leave the stadium, and the use of masks when walking around the stadium, it shouldn’t be difficult for social distancing to happen and the experience to be safe. Even at Roots Hall.

Presumably that will go for the toilets as well.

I can't see this season finishing properly, let alone having people back in stadiums fully again.

Teams aren't even regularly testing their players (only L1/L2 players that have been away on international duty): https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...rced-pay-EFL-Cup-rivals-coronavirus-test.html

Leyton Orient's squad have pretty much all come down with it, and their last 3 opponents have been notified. God knows how long they had it for, since they're not being tested before each game.

The schools should have been opened in mid June and remained open all summer. With the option for parents to take children out for various holiday breaks....Isolation would have worked and all the kids would have herd immunity by now. The so called second wave would be smaller and easier for the NHS and everyone else would be back in work.

Oh and fans would be back in RH even if not the full numbers.

Ever thought of standing for the head of the teachers union ?
They would love you and you’ll be elected with a landslide

Surely that green light can only come after revised plans have been submitted and reviewed.

Didn't the council take 2 years to review the last set of plans? (That last bit is facetious - I doubt very much they'll take that long again.)

Yes, as far as I’m aware. I’ve heard November could be the date when our plans are meant to be reviewed, but I can’t say for sure.

The difference this time around, I believe, is the council are now very much in support of the project, where in recent years that may not have been the case.

Case in point, our plans were meant to be submitted over the summer, so they could be reviewed and decided upon, earlier this month. But we didn’t submit them because we had to tinker with them a bit first. Obviously if we submit something, and it is rejected because it needs alterations, we may need to wait several months before they can be reviewed again.... which I believe has been our biggest downfall, and one of the major factors for this project running aground over the last few years.

So the idea right now is for us to submit them just the once, and hopefully be passed straight away.

It could even be the case that some very helpful council members - who now want our project to take off, as quickly as possible - took a look at our plans back in the summer, and told us not to bother submitting them as they were, and that we should make the adjustments that they advised, before submitting.

If we’ve done all that, and submit them for a November hearing, then you’d hope that it would be a simple formality of rubber stamping our project... which I believe would be the final piece of the jigsaw.

I would expect (hope) that when the wheels finally creak into motion, it won’t take too long before we start making serious tracks on the stadium front, and will also allow us to get our paws on that refinancing deal to fund the club.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it’s brighter and closer than its ever been before... but we must now weather the storm until we are finally & exhaustively able reach it.

If that means flogging a few players and continuing to mug off the taxman, then that’s the way it’s got to be.

Last edited:
In the current climate, would the council even sign off on this, when nobody knows what the future holds - if we'll even have a club to go in the stadium etc?

I can’t see why not. The Council are in desperate need of the housing to add to their quota, so it’s in their best interests to plough ahead with it.

The optimum word being ‘shouldn’t’. If as mentioned earlier folk won’t wear a mask in a shop what makes you think they’ll wear one all through a game (as in Germany) ?

Yes, as far as I’m aware. I’ve heard November could be the date when our plans are meant to be reviewed, but I can’t say for sure.

The difference this time around, I believe, is the council are now very much in support of the project, where in recent years that may not have been the case.

Case in point, our plans were meant to be submitted over the summer, so they could be reviewed and decided upon, earlier this month. But we didn’t submit them because we had to tinker with them a bit first. Obviously if we submit something, and it needs alterations, we may need to wait several months before they can be reviewed again.... which I believe has been our biggest downfall, and one of the major factors for this project running aground over the last few years.

So the idea right now is for us to submit them just the once, and hopefully be passed straight away.

It could even be the case that some very helpful council members - who now want our project to take off, as quickly as possible - took a look at our plans back in the summer, and told us not to bother submitting them as they were, and that we should make the adjustments that they advised, before submitting.

If we’ve done all that, and submit them for a November hearing, then you’d hope that it would be a simple formality of rubber stamping our project... which I believe would be the final piece of the jigsaw.

I would expect (hope) that when the wheels finally creak into motion, it won’t take too long before we start making serious tracks on the stadium front, and will also allow us to get our paws on that refinancing deal to fund the club.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it’s brighter and closer than its ever been before... but we must now weather the storm until we are finally & exhaustively able reach it.

If that means flogging a few players and continuing to mug off the taxman, then that’s the way it’s got to be.

But if the council says they need more time, then what. HMRC will only be kept happy for so long

Back