• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fantasy World Cup

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
How's everyone faring in this (I see Naps is just ahead of me:thumbdown:) and what sort of squad did you go for?

Mine:

Amla
Gambhir
Kohli
Trott
Darren Bravo (and yes I know that's not Dwayne but his baby brother)
Sangakarra
Watson
Morkel (Morne not Albie)
Gul
Kulasekara
Southee

I was one of only 25 to pick Darren Bravo:hilarious:. Let's hope he outscores Gayle (692 and the most popular pick:omg:).

In fact I didn't pick any of the 3 most popular picks (Gayle, Tendulkar and Steyn) and only 2 of the most popular 9.

My 4 bowlers combined were picked less often than Steyn (who is class, but who I think teams will defend against).

Gautam Gambhir
Kevin Pietersen
Virender Sehwag
Graeme Smith
Ross Taylor
Ryan ten Doeschate
Matt Prior
Umar Gul
Lasith Malinga
Muttiah Muralitharan
Shaun Tait

For me...

Good team there Kev.

Greg Smith is the only player I don't like in that XI, and even he'll score loads of runs against the minnows. Think Murali is past his peak and won't be as effective though.

Yeah Ross Taylor is a very good player but unfortunately NZ skittled their oppo out cheap and he never got close to a look in. I didn't realise Malinga had picked up a knock pre-WC and was subsquently rested for the opening game but you cant win them all. Nearly went for Haddin over Prior, but one Aussie was more than enough! Im not expecting to win this kind of thing so put in players i like (Tendo, KP, Gambhir, Taylor) rather than necessarily the big names which everyone will pick...

Yeah Ross Taylor is a very good player but unfortunately NZ skittled their oppo out cheap and he never got close to a look in. I didn't realise Malinga had picked up a knock pre-WC and was subsquently rested for the opening game but you cant win them all. Nearly went for Haddin over Prior, but one Aussie was more than enough! Im not expecting to win this kind of thing so put in players i like (Tendo, KP, Gambhir, Taylor) rather than necessarily the big names which everyone will pick...

Smith? You could have least gone for his opening partner: Amla's even starred for Essex!:smiles:

Everyone always goes for the big names, but (a) that's boring because everyone does it and (b) you've actually got a better chance of winning if you go for some players who are a bit different because if Tendulkar and Gayle get runs, everyone gets points.

Would have gone for Tendo but you get points for being on the winning side.

Youve edged past me now Yorkie.

1. Marvels Marvels 1093
2. Geoff_Boycotts_Grandmother XI 1009
3. Napster's XI 998
4. General Stars 967
5. Batricians Of Malvern 811
6. Southend 729
7. Leyland fox lane 676
8. Highland Storm 674

Last edited:
Michael Clarke Australia Batsman 98
Chris Gayle West Indies Batsman
Virender Sehwag India Batsman 240
Sachin Tendulkar India Batsman 68
Jonathan Trott England Batsman 102
Ryan ten Doeschate Netherlands All Rounder 204
Brendon McCullum New Zealand Wicket Keeper 86
Shoaib Akhtar Pakistan Bowler 40
Brett Lee Australia Bowler 80
Dale Steyn South Africa Bowler
Graeme Swann England Bowler 80
Total 998

ShrimperZone Leaderboard
Me Team Name Points
1. Marvels Marvels 2653
2. Napster's XI 2553
3. Geoff_Boycotts_Grandmother XI 2520
4. Southend 2293
5. General Stars 2280
6. Highland Storm 2137
7. Leyland fox lane 2117
8. Batricians Of Malvern 2027

My team

Gayle, KP, Tendulker, Iqbal, Sehwag, Watson, Sangakkara, Lee, Murali, Steyn, Swann

At the QF stage, I'm a point ahead of Napster!

1. Highland Storm 5561
2. Marvels Marvels 5483
3. Geoff_Boycotts_Grandmother XI 5478
4. Napster's XI 5477
5. General Stars 5164
6. Southend 4974
7. Leyland fox lane 4932
8. Batricians Of Malvern 4795

I rang the changes and dumped out all the players from the minnows (NZ, WI and Australia) and replaced them with stars from the big boys with two extra Pakistanis (albeit one of them plays for South Africa) and an Indian.

Out therefore goes Bravo (just in time for him to make a big, fat, plum sauce covered duck), Watson and Southee and in come the all-dancing (on the wicket) Shahid Afridi (who picks up 4 wickets on debut for me), Imran Tahir and Yuvraj Singh - albeit as much for his pie-chucking as his flat-track bullying batting.

My team therefore contains 3 South Africans (one of whom plays for England), 3 Pakistanis (one of whom plays for South Africa), 3 Indians and 2 Sri Lankans.

It looks like I'm tipping an South Africa v India final, with the other semi-finalists Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

Back