• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

true although I'm talking in terms of if the club went under and there were no alternative. A new fan based club at southchurch park, with Tilly at the helm, rising from the ashes that Ron had created would attract massive interest, especially the Echo. If the club went bust, where would all the people that couldn't help themselves going on saturday going to go?

The problem with Southchurch Park is its Essex Senior level and no more, so we would not be able to even consider promotion until we found somewhere else to play...I don't think that thats going to attract Tilly and 4000 supporters every week....

It wouldn't be at Southchurch Park in any case. The pitch and facilities are currently used to their maximum availability. Southend Manor had to turn down groundshare requests last season for this very reason. It'd have to be Burroughs Park, providing, of course, their facilities weren't being used all the time .

But the age and state of the stadium, whilst far from pristine, is not the reason for moving, True, regular maintenance will be expensive, but its a prime site close to town with little in the way of planning restrictions, There is potential for the owners of the site to maximise its potential by moving the ground to a site with considerably less market value and more planning restrictions.
Were we to stay at RH, we would still have 7M of debts, we would still be limited to 12K maximum attendance , thus severely limiting our potential income, and we would either have to pay the going rate to buy it of its owner or pay 500K a year rent. Thus we would be left with very little in the way of spare cash to pay players which would lead to season upon season of bargain basement teams (imagine the current lot but less of them...

I'm well aware of the situation, but still have no enthusiam for an all seater box of crap 2 miles out of town with fake pubs (sports bars) at £4 a watered down pint....

It wouldn't be at Southchurch Park in any case. The pitch and facilities are currently used to their maximum availability. Southend Manor had to turn down groundshare requests last season for this very reason. It'd have to be Burroughs Park, providing, of course, their facilities weren't being used all the time .

it's all hypothetical, but if we came along with a business plan based on gates of 1,500, the fans willing to undertake the basic improvements to the ground required, then they couldn't turn the potential down

the fact that anyone is even entertaining this thought is an achievement in my book!

I'm well aware of the situation, but still have no enthusiam for an all seater box of crap 2 miles out of town with fake pubs (sports bars) at £4 a watered down pint....

It's little more than a ten minute walk from Roots Hall.

it's all hypothetical, but if we came along with a business plan based on gates of 1,500, the fans willing to undertake the basic improvements to the ground required, then they couldn't turn the potential down

the fact that anyone is even entertaining this thought is an achievement in my book!

I can guarantee you it would be turned down flat.

haha - I'm assuming you are chairman of southend manor with a cast iron guarantee? :)

It's little more than a ten minute walk from Roots Hall.

looking at the waist measurement of the average southend fan I would defy most to make that walk in 10 minutes, it takes most 10 mins to make it from Victoria circus

please join desert me and go the the side of the FF apologists

I can guarantee you it would be turned down flat.

I was waiting for you and your knowledge of the local Non league scene....

Am I right in assuming that the locals close to SP would never allow expansion. IIRC the objected like mad when Manor wanted to upgrade the floodlights about 20 years ago and I recall the Athletics club having the lights switched off at 9 o/c sharp ....

So your objection is not based on fiscal planning, but on the chance that a pub will be settling watered down beer......Jeez

come on now, we've had a decent chat to this point, don't take one contributory factor and claim that is the basis for my disdain of FF. it's the culture of the whole place

Yeah. Having a scoreboard that worked would be a start.

another modern addition that gripes me, I know Rab couldn't count, but I would expect most at southend are able to count without the aid of some illuminations?

I was waiting for you and your knowledge of the local Non league scene....

Am I right in assuming that the locals close to SP would never allow expansion. IIRC the objected like mad when Manor wanted to upgrade the floodlights about 20 years ago and I recall the Athletics club having the lights switched off at 9 o/c sharp ....

Sorry for the delay in replying. Aldi's near Chalkwell Park were selling Village Bakery loaves for 30p so I had to go.

Yes, you're right, there would be untold objections from the residents surrounding it, on the basis of noise, parking facilities, litter, etc, etc.

Another big obstacle is that Southend Manor has over 200 registered players and youth and senior levels alone, plus another club who also shares the facilities. The only time the place isn't being used at the moment is Monday evening. The rest of the time the main pitch and training areas are in use. It simply wouldn't be viable for a Step 4 club, which is where any proposed reformed Southend based senior club would want to start from, to come in and groundshare, whatever the financial inducements.

Burroughs Park would be far more accommodating, I would imagine, or if you want to stretch it, Thames Road, the home of Concord Rangers, if only to irritate Canvey Island.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Aldi's near Chalkwell Park were selling Village Bakery loaves for 30p so I had to go.

Yes, you're right, there would be untold objections from the residents surrounding it, on the basis of noise, parking facilities, litter, etc, etc.

Another big obstacle is that Southend Manor has over 200 registered players and youth and senior levels alone, plus another club who also shares the facilities. The only time the place isn't being used at the moment is Monday evening. The rest of the time the main pitch and training areas are in use. It simply wouldn't be viable for a Step 4 club, which is where any proposed reformed Southend based senior club would want to start from, to come in and groundshare, whatever the financial inducements.

Burroughs Park would be far more accommodating, I would imagine, or if you want to stretch it, Thames Road, the home of Concord Rangers, if only to irritate Canvey Island.

now there's an interesting thought! enjoy those loaves

another modern addition that gripes me, I know Rab couldn't count, but I would expect most at southend are able to count without the aid of some illuminations?

Well, you say that but I ended up being 5 minutes late on Saturday because I couldn't park on my usual side of the ground with all the residential parking they've added. If ever I'm a few minutes late the guys behind me always say '5-0 up'. I thought they were winding me up about Port Vale's early goal for ages with no scoreboard to confirm the sorry truth...

Well, you say that but I ended up being 5 minutes late on Saturday because I couldn't park on my usual side of the ground with all the residential parking they've added. If ever I'm a few minutes late the guys behind me always say '5-0 up'. I thought they were winding me up about Port Vale's early goal for ages with no scoreboard to confirm the sorry truth...

it must be terrible for you! there you go then, no scoreboard adds to your enjoyment with a little bit of light banter!

Back