• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bielzibubz

President
Is it possible to get voice capabilities in the Shrimperzone chat room?
The reason I ask is that I wasn't able to make it to the Palace away game on Tuesday so I, like a good many others, hung out in the chat room. What was plainly obvious is that some here in the UK and also some overseas Shrimpers were havin real trouble with Blues World cutting out constantly or not getting it at all. Also, those living abroard or not here in Essex were not able to get the radio commentary on BBC Essex.

If voice was available in chat like say in Yahoo I could have ramped up the volume and all those without commentary would have got to hear the game.

I appreciate server bandwidth could possibly be a problem as well as peoples connection speeds but with the vast majority of users now with broardband that shouldn't pose a significant problem. Iv'e no idea as to the legalities of broardcasting a live radio broardcast etc etc but theres bound to be a reason why it cant be done.

Also be interested to hear other members views on the idea

It would be good but the football league like to charge for these things

[b said:
Quote[/b] (D62SUBOY @ Aug. 11 2006,18:26)]Is it possible to get voice capabilities in the Shrimperzone chat room?
The reason I ask is that I wasn't able to make it to the Palace away game on Tuesday so I, like a good many others, hung out in the chat room. What was plainly obvious is that some here in the UK and also some overseas Shrimpers were havin real trouble with Blues World cutting out constantly or not getting it at all. Also, those living abroard or not here in Essex were not able to get the radio commentary on BBC Essex.

If voice was available in chat like say in Yahoo I could have ramped up the volume and all those without commentary would have got to hear the game.

I appreciate server bandwidth could possibly be a problem as well as peoples connection speeds but with the vast majority of users now with broardband that shouldn't pose a significant problem. Iv'e no idea as to the legalities of broardcasting a live radio broardcast etc etc but theres bound to be a reason why it cant be done.

Also be interested to hear other members views on the idea
Over to Matt the Shrimp on this one - but my immediate thought is of a legal can of worms, akin to Pandora's Box, opening up in front of us...

Oo.gif

Good idea otherwise, let's see what Matt reckons first though

smile.gif

Spiff

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCHUTTON @ Aug. 11 2006,18:32)]It would be good but the football league like to charge for these things
I do believe it's got bugger all to do with the football league. This would be purely for voice chat, nothing else
wink.gif
if someone happens to have their radio on and others just happen to hear it whilst on voice and then someone just happens to tip the broardcasting authorities off about it then i'm sure the mods would take the apropriate action against that particular member.

I very much doubt that Yahoo pay a license fee to every radio station in every country that messenger happens to be available in....in fact, I know they dont and voice in Shrimperzone chat would in effect operate on exactly the same basis and in exactly the same way. Whether being an actual website and not a piece of stand alone software like yahoo messenger with voice makes a difference or not I don't know.

I thought about that. It would mean seeting up a seperate Yahoo account, getting every member to register a Yahoo account, adding everyone to the new account and those members that dont have Yahoo Messenger would have to download and install it. It just seems a whole lot less hassle to have it within Shrimperzone....for me anyways, maybe not for the Mods
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ Aug. 11 2006,17:57)]but my immediate thought is of a legal can of worms, akin to Pandora's Box, opening up in front of us...
I knew a girl called Pandora once, never got to see her box though.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (A loyal supporter @ Aug. 11 2006,20:20)]what about a ventrilo server?

Read more here
Hmm, looks useful if your into VOIP but having voice in Shrimperzone chat would mean that anyone that has got the commentary on a decent radio channel could broardcast the game, not just me.

On a side note, i downloaded the Ventrilo software and server programme and got it up and running in about 5 minutes behind my router. Very simple, looks good and one I'm going to keep

Back