• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Xàbia Shrimper

Co-founder of ShrimperZone
Why can’t we go back to the North Bank?

The simple answer is: no-one really wants to.

The longer answer needs a cup of coffee and a comfy armchair ...

The North Bank debate has raged for many years, almost as soon as Vic Jobson kicked us all out in 1994 and “forced” us to use the new legoland-inspired two-tier stand at the southern end the ground (the one that everyone in the upper tier likes now).

At the time football was still undergoing great change and Roots Hall was no exception. The giant South Bank disappeared in the late 80s and was replaced by a row of Firholm apartments above the small caged shelf that remained for away fans. The North Bank remained pretty much as it was when I first started going in the 1970s with the exception of the fence that ran it’s length from the East Stand around “billy-no-mates-land” in the NE corner to join with the “members-only” club in the West Bank. It was noisy, it was fun, it was often dangerous to anyone under 5ft 6. This was our North Bank.

A quick glance at the record books seems to confirm what we always feared might happen when the fans were prised away from their “spiritual home”; the passion ebbed away from Roots Hall and the performance of the team on that hallowed turf suffered. Within four years the Shrimpers had crashed through the Football League to stand poised at the very edge of extinction and were it not for an initially-inspired appointment of ex-player Alan Little, the club could have started the new millennium playing the likes of Nuneaton Borough and Hayes. Was it really just coincidence?

In 2002, the Imps had managed to persuade their club to allow home fans back into their own “spiritual end” and set a precedent for Southend fans who longed to see packs of Shrimpers back in the North Bank. For six weeks late in the same year, fans lobbied the club for a return to the North Bank.

The campaign was launched at the beginning of October 2002, led initially by Dave Scriven and the team at ShrimperZone before the Southend Evening Echo applied its weight. “It was our end,” announced Dave. “It was a place where you used to go once a fortnight to worship. You stood side by side with complete strangers but you all had a common faith in Southend United.” The club reacted with predictable nonchalance, declaring that safety issues precluded any hope of a return. Southend Council, who administered the safety certificate that allowed the club to hold games at Roots Hall, admitted that there was little chance without re-building work.

Yet the campaign clung on to what little hope was left. The letters pages in the Southend Evening Echo filled with letters from fans who remembered the passion of the North Bank. The internet was awash with the memories of several generations. Eventually the club reacted. Co-owner Rob Martin announced that a special safety meeting had been called at which representatives from the club, the council and the police would discuss the possibility of allowing the move. “I understand that moving back to the North Bank is something very close to the hearts of a lot of our supporters and I am all for letting them back to create a better atmosphere at Roots Hall,” Martin told the Evening Echo on October 9th. Popular player Paul Clark also lent his weight to the campaign, revealing that the North Bank was where he first watched the team as a boy. “It was the first spot I stood on at the ground and was a welcoming place where you built up relationships with the people around you,” he told the Evening Echo. “The vocal support was always strong from that part of the ground and it seemed to make a big difference to the team – it would be great to hear that sound again!”

By mid-October the club announced that after lengthy meetings with council and police chiefs, the decision had been left in the club’s hands and that it would be carrying out a poll of its own to gauge the true support for a return before committing itself. Later it announced that the cost of allowing home fans back into the North Bank would be as much as £17,000, which would pay for new segregation barriers and gates plus ticketing and catering facilities. “The price wouldn’t be prohibitive to the scheme as we can accommodate it,” claimed Ron Martin, speaking to the Evening Echo on October 16th. But he warned that the club was unlikely to press ahead without strong support from the fans. “We need to know what the cross-section of the Roots Hall supporters genuinely felt about a North Bank return.” A slip was added to the matchday programme for the clash with promotion hopefuls Hartlepool United on October 25th and the price reduced by 20p to encourage as much feedback as possible. “If fans want to return to the North Bank then they need to come out in strong numbers and tell us through our poll,” warned Martin. The Shrimpers’ Trust also did their part, producing a tear-off slip in their October newsletter which asked whether fans would support a return.

As the campaign gathered speed, support came in from an unlikely quarter. Barry Fry had left the club under controversial circumstances in December 1993 to take over at “sleeping giants” Birmingham City, taking his coaching staff with him and later a few of the club’s better players. Southend United were in serious contention for promotion to the Premier$hite (it sounds incredible to think so these days!) when Fry jumped ship and the club never recovered from his systematic “asset-stripping” of players and coaching staff. The wound ran deep but the ‘Fat Judas’ was gracious enough to lend his support to the campaign. “We pulled off miracles when I was manager at Southend and the North Bank played its part,” he declared. “Those passionate fans behind the goal made a huge difference back then and they could make the difference again and help shout the Shrimpers back up the leagues.”

Almost 5,200 watched Southend lose 1-0 to Hartlepool at Roots Hall. Perhaps it was this defeat, the third in a row, coupled with the embarrassing 6-1 mauling at Swindon Town in the LDV Vans Trophy just a few days earlier that sparked lethargy amongst the faithful few. On November 7th the club announced that it had received just 50 replies to the poll and, of those replies, just 26 expressed a wish to return to the North Bank. “The response has been very poor and left me feeling disappointed,” admitted Ron Martin. “We realised that a lot of fans would like to back in the North Bank and we gave them a chance to show us that this was the general consensus. But the feedback we received is nowhere near enough to get the wheels in motion.” The campaign skidded to a halt. In the end just 77 people responded. It seemed that very few people were actually bothered. An equally disappointed Dave Scriven, who now works for the Commercial Department at Roots Hall, was fairly philosophical about the lack of success. “I don’t consider that it has been a waste of time as I feel there is still genuine interest in a move back to the North Bank,” he said at the time. “However, the way the poll was conducted wasn’t the best way to get a decent response.” Nigel Rickard was a little more scathing of the lethargy of fans in the Shrimpers Trust newsletter of December 2002: “A song and dance was made, but in the end only 77 people could be arsed to reply to United via the programme. Meanwhile, the Trust cut-out slip in number 41 hardly had members breaking a world record to get their scissors out.”

On April 1st 2003, after much lobbying from fans, the North Bank turnstiles were flung open to the Southend faithful one last time for Steve Tilson’s testimonial match. There was still much persuasion needed on the night to prise open the gates and return to the “spiritual home”, and rumour was that the stadium manager was making it as difficult as possible for fans to enjoy the homecoming. About 300 gathered in the centre of the stand behind the goal, joined by many others who transferred from other areas of the ground once they realised that the North Bank was alive again. The old songs emerged, the banter returned, and there were several misty eyes as heroes of old stood on the pitch and purposefully saluted the North once again. But, with seats bolted unceremoniously to the old terracing, it didn’t feel the same. You couldn’t sit down without kneeing the bloke in front of you in the back. As we walked reluctantly from the stand at the end of the evening, many stopped and took a final look. There were a few knowing looks, familiar glances exchanged, and there were plenty of smiles. But there was also sadness. For we knew then that the North Bank of old could never return.

WS
Sep 2005

Postscript: an online petition created last year attracted just 170 signatories, although closer inspection revealed that people like Tom Leftley and Simon Kirby were so passionate about a return that they signed the petition several times. Such blatent fraud often negates the validity of petitions so they really weren't doing the fans any favours. Additionally, Ash signed the petition commenting that we should "please donate food and shoes to Koling" so I'd wager he is probably not a real fan!

170 is not even nearly enough. I once spoke with Ron Martin and he would expect over 500 before he would consider a return and double that regularly using the stand if it were ever returned.

It seems to make sense from policing the away fans etc.

Has the West Stand become the new spiritual home?

Always thought the North Bank was like a 'junior school' and then you graduated either East or West.

And we never had noise from three sides of the ground in the North Bank days.

Been there on this old chestnut several times. I once thought things could be possible but after several insights into this you just gotta hold your hands up and say its not gonna happen, I think we should be more worried about the future of where we are gonna play let alone the sodding north bank!

Mike, did you have to be so brief?

tounge.gif

To add a little more insight as to the reasons why we had to leave in the first place...

Following the Taylor report post Hillsborough, it was recommended that football stadia should be all seater with total segregation and that extended to the entrance wherever possible.  Whilst Southend were in the lower divisions, and back then away support was much less fashionable than it has been in recent years, it was a case of "spot the away crowd" (big games and derbys aside) at Roots Hall as only a few would make the journey from "oop north" to watch their side get trounced.  I remember literally a handful - a dozen at most - Huddersfield fans for a league game in the late seventies/early eighties.

However, once we climbed into Div 2 (The Championship in new money) we were playing "proper" teams with hundreds if not thousands of away followers.  It took only a season to realise that with these fans came potential for trouble, as they had to use the common entrance in Victoria Avenue.  Extra policing was required, anyone in the club shop had to run a gauntlet of fear just to get there (especially against Wolves whose fans were particularly intimidating for some reason) and it was generally a problem, or at least a potential problem, that would occur before and after matches.

More to the point it meant that the club could not fully comply with the Taylor report, and at this time the Premier$hite had just been born with mootings being made for "Premier$hite 2", an invitation for all the bigger clubs still in the Football League including teams like Newcastle, Birmingham, Leicester, West Ham, Charlton, Wolves, Sheffield United, Stoke, WBA, Fulham... but not us.  In fact, teams like us, Oldham, Wimbledon and QPR (the latter 3 being founder members of the Prem by the way) were an acute embarrassment to the bigwigs because we didn't fit the "big club" image.

I know that it was a real ambition of Vic Jobson and John Adams to get as high up the league as possible and stay there, so as to continue to embarrass the so called bigger sides.

In particular, they did not want to give any excuse for SUFC not to be included in any Prem 2 based on the unsuitability of the ground.  Hence the reason why we had to rush to be all seated (Portsmouth and many others still aren't by the way) and also the need to have total segregation with the away end having it's own dedicated entrance.  We were trying to make sure that if the club didn't get included it was not on the back of a technicality.

It's as simple as that.  The North Bank is the only stand that can have it's own entrance.  From Vic Ave you can access the East and South and from Shakespeare Drive you can get to the West and South.

And how do I know this?

Because I was working there at the time.

You do wonder whether this sort of explanation should be pinned!

The only solid argument was that we were selling out what we had so we got the North West corner. In my eyes, that was significant progress.

I might start a campaign for us to never have the North Bank back. Steve will be heading it

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Sep. 21 2005,19:21)]You do wonder whether this sort of explanation should be pinned!
I'm hoping one of the moderators WILL pin it since that was the request ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Sep. 21 2005,19:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Sep. 21 2005,19:21)]You do wonder whether this sort of explanation should be pinned!
I'm hoping one of the moderators WILL pin it since that was the request ...

WS
Mods? They never seem to be about anymore. Naps is in love. MtS must be working and Leeboy is a lazy c*nt.

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Sep. 21 2005,20:53)]Mods? They never seem to be about anymore. Naps is in love. MtS must be working and Leeboy is a lazy c*nt.
I thought you'd be taken on, Kev. No?

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Sep. 21 2005,19:53)]Mods? They never seem to be about anymore. Naps is in love. MtS must be working and Leeboy is a lazy c*nt.

tounge.gif
I am all of those three, but seeing as I'm feeling generous, I'll pin this in a sec....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Sep. 21 2005,19:54)]I thought you'd be taken on, Kev. No?

WS
Why would anyone want to take on a waster like that, come on give us some respect.
wink.gif

Oh I did not pin it as it seems people do not read pinned topics, so as an experiment when this was posted the views stats showed 393, If you take another 10 people to read this post, will take us to 403. Lets see what the stats show in 2 days.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Sep. 21 2005,21:38)]Oh I did not pin it as it seems people do not read pinned topics, so as an experiment when this was posted the views stats showed 393, If you take another 10 people to read this post, will take us to 403. Lets see what the stats show in 2 days.
Fair do's ... and you'll be probably proved right. ORM did ask for it to be pinned though so we'll blame it on him ...

WS

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Sep. 21 2005,20:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Sep. 21 2005,19:54)]I thought you'd be taken on, Kev. No?

WS
Why would anyone want to take on a waster like that, come on give us some respect.
wink.gif

Oh I did not pin it as it seems people do not read pinned topics, so as an experiment when this was posted the views stats showed 393, If you take another 10 people to read this post, will take us to 403. Lets see what the stats show in 2 days.
Eeek. Didn't mean to mess up the experiment Andee! Doh
ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Sep. 21 2005,20:38)]
[b said:

WS
wink.gif

I don't think it's that people don't read pinned topics Andee, it's more the point that they don't see them.

For example, I've just spent about 5 minutes looking for this topic, wondering whether or not it had been moved to another forum, and was just about to post a message asking where it was when I noticed it was pinned.

A suggestion - take the colour shading away. Then any pinned topics will look like the top 3 most recent, and will always be read.

That's my guess anyway.

Make the subject line bold possibly? I've seen other boards where the pinned topics are similar looking to the rest of the topics and I think it just makes the page look more messy.

One thing's for sure, since my post, IGUN hasn't read it!

Making the subject line bolder seems to be a great idea. I'm not sure if it's possibly but maybe BC can take a look ...

WS

Back