• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Farewell to a Shrimper

Please indulge me, as earlier today I heard the sad news from Adelaide, Australia that my Uncle Syd passed away this morning aged 80.

Syd was the second youngest of 6, my late mum being the eldest, who hailed from Tottenham, but moved to Southend when my Grandad decided to move just after the end of the war. From the side of North London he came from his first love were Spurs, but soon after moving to Southend he discovered and fell in love with the Shrimpers, a love affair which lasted over 60 years. He was also a fanatical Essex cricket fan and was at Southchurch the day the Aussies piled up 700+ in a day, with Bradman scoring 187.

He was to be seen at every home match, and was present at the opening of Roots Hall, although his support waned when he married and with the advent of his children. Although the family moved to Australia he still followed from afar, by BBC Worlds Service and other means before finally embracing th'internet. I'd receive weekly emails from him, sharing his joy or despair as we do on here. It was also my privilege to bring him to the Bristol City game which saw us win League 1 and get us into the Championship. He was able to attend a couple of other games during visits in 2006 & 2008.

I hope he's looking down on us from a celestial Roots Hall (or Fossetts Farm) reliving the great moments and memories he had as Blues supporter for all those years.

RIP mate.

With stories like that,makes me believe this club will never die,God bless you syd,and don't worry we're be back.
And to you CS,my condolences mate,RIP fellow Shrimper.

Our club is about so much more than the odd promotion, or relegation, or a stadium we have been in for barely half our existence, or dodgy chairmen - it's about fans like Uncle Syd who have spent most of their lives following a rather unfashionable provincial football team, who have watched as they let in 9 goals against Brighton, as they bounced back and forth between Divison 3 and Division 4, as they held mighty Liverpool on frosty night, and then roared the team on to their first spell in Division Two.

I'm glad he lived to see the best 6 years in our history, that he was there to see us lift the League 1 Championship. As long as there are Uncle Sids on the terrace, or cheering the Shrimpers on from afar, there will always be a Southend United FC.

Rest in Peace, Uncle Syd.

RIP Uncle Syd

It was nice that he was able to see the Bristol City game one of the greatest games in the clubs history and one of teo times we have ever lifted a trophy.

That's a lovely tribute, H ... thanks for sharing it here. Love the way Uncle Syd became such a fan on moving to Southend, and how ingrained that love became. You can take the man out of Southend, but not Southend out of the man ...

RIP Uncle Syd.

Back