• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Faster than the speed of light

so Cricko it means you can turn the clock and you can probably go back to 80 years old soon!

It looks like they have already put it into practice.:unsure:

theJeremyVine Jeremy Vine

Einstein's theory of time is proved wrong 56 years after his death. Einstein statement due in ten minutes.

To dig this up, I watched a programme about this and I was amazed at;

1) Neutrinos are incredibly tiny. There a literally billions flowing through you now as you read this. If you picture an atom as the size of the solar system, a neutrino is the size of a golf ball. :stunned:

2) Some scientists think that this experiment has revealed that the neutrinos didn't actually beat the speed of light, but took a short cut through an alternate dimension before jumping back into ours. :dim:

However, the godlike genius that is Brian Cox thinks that the experiment is cobblers and who am I to doubt a man who has been in two terrible bands?

Science is great :smile:

a) this needs proving elsewhere that it wasnt a fluke
b) the experiment itself is mainly rubbish :P
c) if it still holds, then science is broken.....

To dig this up, I watched a programme about this and I was amazed at;

1) Neutrinos are incredibly tiny. There a literally billions flowing through you now as you read this. If you picture an atom as the size of the solar system, a neutrino is the size of a golf ball. :stunned:

2) Some scientists think that this experiment has revealed that the neutrinos didn't actually beat the speed of light, but took a short cut through an alternate dimension before jumping back into ours. :dim:

However, the godlike genius that is Brian Cox thinks that the experiment is cobblers and who am I to doubt a man who has been in two terrible bands?

Science is great :smile:

I think it's been mooted for some time that space and time aren't necessarily linear, so that second statement probably isn't as "out there" as it first appears.

I think it's been mooted for some time that space and time aren't necessarily linear, so that second statement probably isn't as "out there" as it first appears.

String theory. Quantum physics is nuts - put a pen in front of you, and where could it be one second later?

Answer: Theoretically anywhere in the universe. Nuts!

String theory. Quantum physics is nuts - put a pen in front of you, and where could it be one second later

Answer: Theoretically anywhere in the universe. Nuts!

As someone with a background in physics I can assure you it is a lot harder and a lot more boring than the likes of Brian Cox would have you believe.

I was an undergraduate with Brian Cox and it saddens me to see him throwing his life away like this.

As someone with a background in physics I can assure you it is a lot harder and a lot more boring than the likes of Brian Cox would have you believe.

I was an undergraduate with Brian Cox and it saddens me to see him throwing his life away like this.

The only Brian Cox I've ever heard of(until now)is the excellent Scottish actor.Fortunately (or not)physics remains a closed book to me.:winking:

c) if it still holds, then science is broken.....

I remember in a science and religion lecture at uni, the lecturer gong on and on that all science is based on assumption and as such will continue to change. We only really have a temporary hold on the 'laws'.

I remember in a science and religion lecture at uni, the lecturer gong on and on that all science is based on assumption and as such will continue to change. We only really have a temporary hold on the 'laws'.

I can imagine science came out of that quite badly compared to something as concrete and tangible as religion.

Earlier in this thread mk stated that doc cox was in two bands now im sure one was d-ream,what was the other please?

He was in a god-awful 80's soft rock band Dare with some bloke from Thin Lizzy.

General conclusions are that it doesn't have to be one or the other and many top scientists have a strong religious belief.

I'd love to know how many scientists who work in the field of Astrophysics, Quantum Mechanics etc would be religious. The two don't seem to fit in my eyes.

I'd love to know how many scientists who work in the field of Astrophysics, Quantum Mechanics etc would be religious. The two don't seem to fit in my eyes.

I think they can, depending on your particular religion. I'd imagine believing in a big bearded fellow in the sky may be a hindrance, but there are many religions that are pantheistic, or autotheistic that would fit in with serious scientific research

in response to MK:

Charles Hard Townes - Nobel prize winner in physics 1964
John Polkinghorne - British particle physicist and Anglican priest. Winner of the 2002 Templeton Prize.
John T. Houghton - He is the co-chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and won a gold medal from the Royal Astronomical Society.
Michał Heller - He is a Catholic priest, a member of the Pontifical Academy of Theology, a founding member of the International Society for Science and Religion. He also is a mathematical physicist who has written articles on relativistic physics and Noncommutative geometry.
Eric Priest-An authority on Solar Magnetohydrodynamics who won the George Ellery Hale Prize among others.
Christopher Isham - Theoretical physicist who developed HPO formalism.
Francis Collins - He is the current director of the National Institutes of Health and former director of the US National Human Genome Research Institute. He has also written on religious matters in articles and in Faith and the Human Genome he states the importance to him of "the literal and historical Resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, which is the cornerstone of what I believe." He wrote the book The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief.[144]
John D. Barrow - English cosmologist who did notable writing on the implications of the Anthropic principle. He is a United Reformed Church member and Christian deist. He won the Templeton Prize in 2006. He once held the position of Gresham Professor of Astronomy
Denis Alexander - Director of the Faraday Institute and author of Rebuilding the Matrix – Science and Faith in the 21st Century. He also supervises a research group in cancer and immunology at the Babraham Institute
Stephen Barr - Physicist who worked at Brookhaven National Laboratory and contributed papers to Physical Review as well as Physics Today. He also is a Catholic who writes for First Things and wrote Modern Physics and Ancient Faith.
Martin Nowak - Evolutionary biologist and mathematician best known for evolutionary dynamics.
John Lennox - Mathematician and Pastoral adviser. His works include the mathematical The Theory of Infinite Soluble Groups and the religion-oriented God's Undertaker – Has Science buried God? He has also debated religion with Richard Dawkins. He teaches at Oxford.
Jennifer Wiseman - She is Chief of the Laboratory for Exoplanets and Stellar Astrophysics at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. In addition she is a co-discoverer of 114P/Wiseman-Skiff. In religion is a Fellow of the American Scientific Affiliation and on June 16, 2010 became the new director for the American Association for the Advancement of Science's Dialogue on Science, Ethics, and Religion.

Back