• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fat Gary Barlow

Should Barlow have his OBE taken away?

• Total voters

Pubey

Naughty boy. Always thought was a bit of a dick. Looks like he's going to be quite a lot poorer now.

Should he have his OBE taken away? I don't think tax avoidance is in keeping with the principles of getting an honour like that.

If he hasnt broken any laws then no.

Why ignore all the good things the guy has done just because he has tried to pay less tax, which Im sure lots of OBE and knighted people do themselves.

Not a nice blemish for him to have on his record nonetheless.

Should have it taken away for crimes against my earholes. Hopefully this'll end the BBC's love affair with the "national treasure".

Exactly, Ive heard parts of his solo album and he should be made to live on the Isle of Man for that alone.

If he hasnt broken any laws then no.

Why ignore all the good things the guy has done just because he has tried to pay less tax, which Im sure lots of OBE and knighted people do themselves.

Not a nice blemish for him to have on his record nonetheless.

Without getting into the legal technicalities and whatnot, a judge has ruled that he did pay into a tax-avoidance scheme and he's got to repay a big lot of tax. I don't think you have to break the law to show that you're clearly 'not in this together'. OBE's are awarded to making a big contribution to the country - and not paying your fair share of tax clearly isn't a positive contribution, irrespective of what else you've done/how many ****** records you've made/how much to donated to the Tories.

Slightly different reaction from the PM if your name is Jimmy Carr...

Didn't he get his OBE for his charity work?

Giving to charity has long been a popular way of tax avoiding.

Didn't he get his OBE for his charity work?

Giving to charity has long been a popular way of tax avoiding.

Yeah, something really nice about seeing Gary Barlow beg members of the public to give their hard earned cash to Children in Need while he squirrels away his millions to avoid paying any tax.

Lovely.

what a pile of crap. He's paid more in tax than probably the whole of SZ today (hyperbole is not dead :smile: BTW). If you were rich and went to your accountant and he said you can pay this much tax or that much tax you would say to him, "look I want to pay as little tax as is legally possible. I'll leave it to your expertise to acheive that"...................and don't say you wouldn't.

I personally think Maragaret Hodge should have resigned years ago for her cover up of the Islington child abuse scandal.

what a pile of crap. He's paid more in tax than probably the whole of SZ today (hyperbole is not dead :smile: BTW). If you were rich and went to your accountant and he said you can pay this much tax or that much tax you would say to him, "look I want to pay as little tax as is legally possible. I'll leave it to your expertise to acheive that"...................and don't say you wouldn't.

I personally think Maragaret Hodge should have resigned years ago for her cover up of the Islington child abuse scandal.

I think most people would want their tax affairs arranged in a way which meant that years later a judge didn't rule to make you pay a huge amount.

I think most people would want their tax affairs arranged in a way which meant that years later a judge didn't rule to make you pay a huge amount.

You win some you lose some. It's not an exact science. My point was which you probably deliberately avoided or was it evaded was non tax experts like Gary Barlow, you or me leave it to their accountants.

If you have 'avoided' tax to that extent you should be made to register for PAYE and just pay up at source like the rest of us have to.
What is my job? An accountant in the music industry.

**** just remembered. I've got loads of ISAs to avoid paying tax. I buy AVC's to avoid paying tax. String me up naked in the High Street and drag me down it in a handcart before tarring and feathering me.
It's called arranging your financies in a tax efficient way. God if you saw how successive governments squander money you'd try to avoid giving them more than was their legal entitlement.

I just don't see what tax issues and musical talent have related in order for his OBE to taken from him.

**** just remembered. I've got loads of ISAs to avoid paying tax. I buy AVC's to avoid paying tax. String me up naked in the High Street and drag me down it in a handcart before tarring and feathering me.
It's called arranging your financies in a tax efficient way. God if you saw how successive governments squander money you'd try to avoid giving them more than was their legal entitlement.
It's not very efficient if you have to pay it anyway a few years later.

4Ever - I think the OBE vibe is because they are given out for services to the country and he has tried to avoid paying taxes that go towards health, education, security services for the country.
The OBE is no big issue for me - its just like a Blue Peter badge from the Queen.

Will they take away his family photo's, all earnings post OBE, ban media clips etc etc just to make sure this is fair.

Barlow has already undergone a witchhunt from the media in this ****ry. leave him alone.

Will they take away his family photo's, all earnings post OBE, ban media clips etc etc just to make sure this is fair.

Barlow has already undergone a witchhunt from the media in this ****ry. leave him alone.

I remember a witchhunt for Jimmy Carr as well - and it was led by David Cameron.

This is a waste of taxpayers money and should be settled out of court with a severe punishment beating and repayment of all the money.

Naughty boy. Always thought was a bit of a dick. Looks like he's going to be quite a lot poorer now.

Should he have his OBE taken away? I don't think tax avoidance is in keeping with the principles of getting an honour like that.

We all have people who we think are "a bit of a dick"!!! Doesn't necessarily mean they deserve to have something like his OBE taken away - which has absolutely nothing to do with his music, and everything to do with humanity and charity.

If MPs were being judged on this kind of criteria, I very much doubt there would be any who receive knighthoods and peerages!

Back