• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fave US/Canadian Sports Teams

Bentley's Absurd Gait

From the Superbowl thread I can see a lot of interest in the NFL amongst Zoners, wondered if this spread to other US sports. Having spent 5 years in Canada and the US, I am a big fan of all four major US sports, and I follow these teams:

NHL: Montreal Canadiens. (Seen them live twice). Grandfather is from Montreal so easy decision, With 24 Stanley Cups, the greatest franchise in the history of the sport. The last Canadian team to win the Cup in 1993, on course for the playoffs this year despite meagre budget and a team considered 'too small' to compete in the increasingly physical league.

MLB: Tampa Bay Rays (Seen them live 5 times). Saw them during their inaugural season (1998) and took them into my heart. Never won half their games in a season, perennial losers with small but rabid fan base (sound familiar?). Occasional moments of brilliance raise hopes, which fade fast.

NFL: Washington Redskins (Never seen them live). Guilty of glory hunting a little here, they won the first Super Bowl I watched (SB17) and followed them since. The arch enemy of 'America's Team' The Dallas Cowboys and have their own anthem 'Hail to the Redskins'.

NBA: Los Angeles Clippers (Never seen them live). The unfashionable court mates of the Lakers, perennial losers and something of a joke. I love a feisty underdog.

Apologies for this somewhat self-indulgent post, but I'm bored....

Not massive on American Sports, but did play American football for a while.

NFL: Redskins. Mainly for the same reason as you. They seemed to be the main team on TV & thought John Riggins was superb.

MLB: Atlanta Braves. This is due to my mum buying me a shirt of theirs about 30+ years ago. Followed their results ever since!

NBA: Anybody who beats the Spurs!!! I dislike Tottenham that much!!

Couldn't care less about Ice hockey!!

About as much sense as Queen Of The South being my Scottish football team!!

Really only follow the NBA and NFL:

NBA - Milwaukee Bucks. Backed them at 28/1 for the NBA Championship way back in 2000/01. They got to the Conference Finals, losing 4-3. So although I won nothing they gave me a great run for my money and I've supported them ever since. Saw them beat the Knicks at MSG three years ago

NFL - Chicago Bears. Never seen them, but started getting in to the NFL in 1985. You do the math, as they say over the pond.

I'm aware that supporting teams from rival cities (in the NBA, the Bucks can't stand the Chicago Bulls and Green Bay, effectively Milwaukee's NFL team, are Chicago's biggest rivals) is essentially a bit anomalous, but it's too late to change now!

NFL I don't pay any attention to at all.

MLB the Yankees or Chicago, purely on reputation.

NBA Toronto Raptors, been a fan since Vince Carter signed for them, but keep an eye on the Magic scores because a favoured British player played for them at some point.

NHL Detroit Red Wings, used to love playing NHL 96 on the Sega MD with them, scored at least 5 a game nine times in 10.

For NFL same as Uxbridge - my dad let me stay up late to watch american football and the Bears were the best team at the time. I wasnt to know then they would complete sh!te for the next 20 years.
NBA - Chicago Bulls - did a trip to Chicago to take in all the sports (mostly with watching the bears in mind) and although not a huge bball fan, just follow them.
NHL - Anaheim Ducks, embarrasingly enough thanks to the Mighty Ducks films. Then they grew up, dropped the "The Mighty" bit and won the Stanley Cup.
MLB - Yankees - i cant live in NY without liking them apparantly.

When I first started to notice US sports my best mate had spent the summer with his uncle in Detroit, I took an interest in teams from this area, although after spending time myself in Minneapolis and going to the Metrodome my NFL choice changed.

NFL - Minnesota Vikings

NBA - Detroit Pistons

NHL - Detroit Redwings

MLB - Detroit Tigers

I followed the Pittsburgh Penguins in NHL when Lemieux and Jagr were in their prime, though always had a soft spot for the Rangers.

NFL - Denver Broncos
NBA - Denver Nuggets
MLB - Colorado Rockies
NHL - Colorado Avalanche

MLB - Yankees - i cant live in NY without liking them apparantly.

Yes, you can, at least become a Mets fan or something. The Yankees (and Red Sox) are evil. Heck, start supporting the Rockies, I'll send you a t-shirt from the club to sweeten the deal as well.

NFL - Giants
NBA - Knicks
NHL - Islanders

Don't really follow MLB but if I did it would be the Yankees.

Mmmmm, can you spot a pattern here? Oh yeah & Red Bull Metrostars for Soccer in the US too :p

I thought the the Cubs were the NFL team? In any case, the Sox.

The NFL team is the Bears. In baseball the Cubs play in the National League and the White Sox in the American League. My prediction for this baseball season is that the Cubs will win it all. It's now been 100 years since their last title, so it would be fitting.

NHL - Anaheim Ducks, embarrasingly enough thanks to the Mighty Ducks films. Then they grew up, dropped the "The Mighty" bit and won the Stanley Cup.

I hope that's how history remembers them too!

Only really follow Canucks from my time in Whistler. Pretty hard when NHL gets so little exposure over here. As much as I enjoyed the NFL season, I don't really have an affinity to any particular team.

I hope that's how history remembers them too!

Only really follow Canucks from my time in Whistler. Pretty hard when NHL gets so little exposure over here. As much as I enjoyed the NFL season, I don't really have an affinity to any particular team.

Well I think you should start following an NFL team, and from my unbiased opinion I think you should choose the Broncos, they are obviously the best choice. ;)

Back