• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimp in a Kilt

Inspired by an excellent post from Matt on the Chit Chat forum:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would be delighted to see any one of the following served on draught in the Shrimpers bar:

Crouch Vale Brewery
Mighty Oak Brewey
Felstar Brewery
Blanchfields Brewery
Farmer's Ales (The Maldon Brewing Co.)
Mersea Island Brewery
Greene King
Ridleys

I wonder which is your favourite beer? A description of the beer and reason for loving it?

Matt seems to favour Crouch Vale, which I must confess I hadn't heard of.

My current nomination, (though I reserve the right to change my preference as often as I lift a glass) is Black Cuillin from the Isle of Skye Brewery, described in The Good Beer Guide 2005 as ‘a complex, tasty brew worthy of its many awards. Full-bodied with a malty richness, malts do hold sway but there are plenty of hops and fruit to be discovered in its varied character. A truly delicious Scottish old ale.’

There is a small brewery at Dundonnell, just down the road from me, which is brewing some excellent beer at the moment too, but I am still reasearching.

Oo.gif
smile.gif
sleepy.gif
upside.gif

OOOh No...if thats any thing like when I was camping near the black culllins it will result in terrible wind and getting soaking wet.

As for beers I presume this is an Ale thread so i will leave you beardy coudorouy wearers to it.....(Kronenberg Blanc or Hoegarden are my current faves plus the usual guinness)

SiaK - you should try some stuff from the Black Isle Brewery - based, as you might expect, on the Black Isle by Inverness. Their Yellowhammer and Red Kite beers are top notch.

Crouch Vale's "Brewers Gold" is the current holder of CAMRA's Supreme Champion Beer of Britain title - and it is, as you might expect, a magnificent drop.

Of bitters more readily available, Spitfire brewed by Shepherd Neame is a wonderful pint, but if there's one bitter I'll come back to time and again, then I'm back north of the border for a pint of the superlative Deuchars IPA, brewed by Edinburgh's Caledonian Brewery. It is a truly magnificent pint. Caledonian's 80/- is also a lovely, richer pint for winter.

Of the lagers, after much research (*hic*), my tastebuds keep bringing me back to Krin Ichiban - "Kirin No. 1". It's interesting that the first Kirin beer to reach these shores was their normal grade, export beer - which I didn't really like that much. I then went to Japan and tried the Ichiban - their "premium" beer - and was amazed at how much nicer a beer it was than the ordinary Kirin.

I'm pleased to see that it's now on sale in the UK - and so I always try to have a few bottles of it at home.

smile.gif

Cheers! *hic*

Matt

Got really in to Deuchars IPA whilst in Scotland a few of weeks ago. Happily they stock it in Uxbridge Sainsbury's too. Come to think of it, think I might get a few bottles tonight to drink during the St Helens vs Hull game!

When I'm oooop north, I like a nice drop of Belhaven Best, smooth as silk. Also I was recently introduced to another beer that I think was called 60 Shilling (sp?) which was also very tasty.

At home it'll have to be Carlsberg or that Mexican gnats pi$$ who's name now escapes me?
rock.gif
?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ June 08 2006,14:56)](Kronenberg Blanc or Hoegarden are my current faves plus the usual guinness)
I had Hoegaarden in Brussels and must admit ti wasn't too bad... Though i do prefer Kronenbourg Cru to Blanc

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Usual_Suspect @ June 08 2006,15:07)]Also I was recently introduced to another beer that I think was called 60 Shilling (sp?) which was also very tasty.
60 Shilling... or Caledonian's 80 shilling...?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 08 2006,15:04)]...brewed by Edinburgh's Caledonian Brewery. Caledonian's 80/- is also a lovely, richer pint for winter.

rock.gif

Matt, I have a few bottles from the Black Isle brewery stashed away, and very nice too... The Inverness' Tesco and Morrisons, to their credit, stock a lot of the local micro-brewerey bottled beers, and at four for a fiver in Morrisons the temptation to sample new beers is never easily resisted.
wink.gif
and I agree, the 80 shilling is a nice drop too.

Firestorm, Beard - yes, Courderoy - no, very happy to hear about Lager on here too
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Uxbridge Shrimper @ June 08 2006,15:04)]Got really in to Deuchars IPA whilst in Scotland a few weeks ago.
I always knew you were a classy geezer...

biggrin.gif

Just remembered another favourite pint of mine: Adnams - nothing finer than sitting in a pub near the Southwold shore in Suffolk with a pint of their local brew. Wonderful.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Usual_Suspect @ June 08 2006,15:07)]When I'm oooop north, I like a nice drop of Belhaven Best, smooth as silk.  Also I was recently introduced to another beer that I think was called 60 Shilling (sp?) which was also very tasty.

At home it'll have to be Carlsberg or that Mexican gnats pi$$ who's name now escapes me?
rock.gif
?
Corona?

Belhaven's good too. Had a good few pints of that when up in Glasgae in January.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Usual_Suspect @ June 08 2006,15:07)]Also I was recently introduced to another beer that I think was called 60 Shilling (sp?) which was also very tasty.
Which brewery?

From realbeer.com

The Shilling rating of Scottish beers goes back to the 1870s when the price of beer, including the duty, was worked out in the old pre-decimal shillings: 60 Shillings meant a light ale; 70 Shillings a heavy; 80 Shillings an export and 90 Shillings, or even 100 Shillings, a barley wine-style known as ‘wee heavy’. To confuse matters even more though, the light ales which corresponded to the English mild in strength were dark in colour, while the heavy, akin to a English bitter in strength, was lighter in colour.

80 shilling is the standard for ales. 60's a bit weak. In Embra I was on the 80s, invariably McEwan's as they were the cheapest.

But my favourite is the Weistephaner Dunkles. Munich is great for beer.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ June 08 2006,15:07)]too many leather-patches-on-elbows Geography teacher types on this thread methinks
biggrin.gif
Some of us are blessed with tastebuds that have matured enough to appreciate things other than "cooking lagers" like Carling and Stella...

tounge.gif

Theakstons Old Peculier is my top tipple.
Old Speckled Hen holds a place in my heart but got very ill one time after a few pints (nothing to do with the beer just got ill) and your body being a strange old thing put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5 and now I just don't enjoy it like I used too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 08 2006,15:17)]The Shilling rating of Scottish beers goes back to the 1870s when the price of beer, including the duty, was worked out in the old pre-decimal shillings: 60 Shillings meant a light ale; 70 Shillings a heavy; 80 Shillings an export and 90 Shillings, or even 100 Shillings, a barley wine-style known as ‘wee heavy’. To confuse matters even more though, the light ales which corresponded to the English mild in strength were dark in colour, while the heavy, akin to a English bitter in strength, was lighter in colour.

80 shilling is the standard for ales. 60's a bit weak. In Embra I was on the 80s, invariably McEwan's as they were the cheapest.

smile.gif
Top anoraking, Naps!

biggrin.gif

Weihenstephaner - top beer; and, indeed, you can't go wrong in Munich. Very fond of the ole' Paulaner meself...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 08 2006,15:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 08 2006,15:17)]The Shilling rating of Scottish beers goes back to the 1870s when the price of beer, including the duty, was worked out in the old pre-decimal shillings: 60 Shillings meant a light ale; 70 Shillings a heavy; 80 Shillings an export and 90 Shillings, or even 100 Shillings, a barley wine-style known as ‘wee heavy’. To confuse matters even more though, the light ales which corresponded to the English mild in strength were dark in colour, while the heavy, akin to a English bitter in strength, was lighter in colour.

smile.gif
Top anoraking, Naps!

biggrin.gif

Weihenstephaner - top beer; and, indeed, you can't go wrong in Munich.  Very fond of the ole' Paulaner meself...
Paulaner's very good as well - in fact there was little i didn't like while I was there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 08 2006,15:25)]Paulaner's very good as well - in fact there was little i didn't like while I was there.
During Oktoberfest, we ended up in the Spaten - literally "Spade" - tent. An awesome beer... even after the four steins there, we could tell that the Löwenbräu wasn't quite as good (as we moved on to that tent later in the day)...

smile.gif

Back