• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bromley Blue

The artist formerly known as the_saafender
There was a comment on another thread the other day regarding Michael Timlin and how he might not get into our Best Ever XIs but would be on a lot of people's Favourite Ever Blues XI. So it got me thinking, who would be in mine, and yours?

I'm not interested in who are the players with the best ability to ever pull on the blue shirt and who would get the best results. This is purely about who you enjoyed watching the most, for whatever reason - good or bad. The only rule I'm setting is you choose 1 goalkeeper and 10 outfield players. Formations are otherwise irrelevant. I'll start with:

GK - Darryl Flahavan

This, for me, is a straight fight between Flavs and Dan Bentley. Both were top class goalkeepers in their time with us, both were very popular with the fans and both were involved in promotion campaigns. Because of the above, Messrs Mildenhall and Oxley have found it very difficult to replace them and got a hard time from our fans at the start of their spells with us.

I don't think there's much argument that Dan Bentley is, and will go on to be, a much better keeper. He's already established himself as a number 1 at a Championship club and looks comfortable at that level. He's also got time on his side to play even higher.

But for me, I'm going to go with Darryl Flahavan. He was involved in 2 promotion campaigns with us and also won League One Player Of The Year in a year when Freddy Eastwood's goals had promoted us. That was an incredible achievement and fully deserved as he was a vital part of that team.

DF - Leon Cort

Like Leo Roget before him, Leon Cort stood out to a young the_saafender as one of our better players during a time during the early 2000s when most around him were pretty dire. It's going on for 13 years since Cort left Roots Hall so you'll have to forgive my lack of memories on certain games. But I wasn't surprised to see him go on to establish himself at Championship level and have the odd appearance in the Premier League too.

DF - Adam Barrett

This man was a solid lower league defender for us and literally bleeds blue and white. He's been involved in 3 successful promotion campaigns with us, scored some vital goals and lead the team from the back, regardless of whether captain at the time.

Adam's always had his limitations and struggled against forwards with genuine pace and trickery. But I think he always knew those limitations and tried to do the basics of defending well. Watching Adam play for Southend was like having one of us fans pulling on the shirt every week and for that he's in the side and captain.

DF - Duncan Jupp

In terms of ability, easily the worst player to make it in to this side. But god loves a trier and luckily for Duncan, so do I.

Steve Tilson's side at that time was full of grafters and Juppy always put a shift in, knew his limitations and would play the simple ball to Kevin Maher whenever possible.

One of my greatest regrets as a Southend fan is not being there in Cardiff for his goal in the playoff final. A player who never scored saves his first goal for the club for a final. Truly epic.

DF - Bilel Mohsni

Everyone knows he was an absolute liability at times and it's not surprising we didn't get promoted with a total nutter in the camp.

But every game was entertaining when Bilel was in the side, coz quite frankly you had no idea whether he was going to score the winner, punch the ref or sacrifice a kestrel in the centre circle before the game. Mad as a box of frogs but worth the ticket money alone to watch him play.

Bilel had so much raw ability and talent but sadly pro football requires more than that. Things like discipline and self control which he lacked to put it mildly.

MF - Ryan Leonard. The only one of the current players to make it into my team. Lenny is Mr Reliable for us and has the potential to play higher IMO. If he could improve his passing and also possibly be played alongside a ball winner to let him get forward more, we might see a lower league Steven Gerrard arise. But for now, his presence in our team makes it that much harder for the opposition to break through through his excellent covering and tracking back. I've lost count of the times he's bailed out a Jason Demetriou or John White who's bombed forward when we had the ball. IMO should be captain in the near future.

MF - Kevin Maher

Really surprised at how much he divides opinion amongst Southend fans. For me he's a complete legend of this club. Lead the side to two promotions and really was a key player in both.

Everything went through Maher in those Tilson's sides. Quite simply because the Che Wilson and Duncan Jupps of this world were terrible in possession but Maher was never more than 10 yards away to offer a simple pass.

Also who can forget some of the screamers he scored during the season in the Championship and that win over QPR.

MF - Anthony Grant

I remember Granty fondly for two main reasons.

- He stuck around when everyone else jumped ship when we were relegated to League Two

-His hilarious ability to win a free kick for his side at a moment's notice. This is something Ryan Leonard has brought into his game too and although it's a dark art, you probably need a player like that.

That said though, he was/is a darn good central midfield player and I was gutted when he moved on. But with us in League Two it was totally understandable as he was far too good for that level.

MF - Mark Gower

As per Kevin Maher, I could never understand some of the stick Gower got when he was with us. Even when he had a poor game he was always the player we'd look to for a bit of creativity and to make something happen.

He scored some great goals over the years for us and seemed to come alive in the Championship so I wasn't surprised to see him go.

ST - Freddy Eastwood (first time)

In Leagues One and Two you very rarely see players that get you out of your seat every time they get the ball. Freddy was one of a rare breed.

Was a prolific scorer for us in both promotion campaigns and struck up a great understanding with Mark Gower that was a joy to watch at times.

Was gutted when he left for Wolves but totally understandable at the time. He'd outgrown us. I found it really sad that he never really hit any form after leaving as well.

ST - Barry Corr

I think I've lost count of the amount of posters on here that revealed they had a man-crush on BBBC.

One of Paul Sturrock's greatest signings who went on to achieve cult status in his time at the club.

When a Daggers supporting mate broke the news to me of his move to Cambridge it was like a death in the family.

He played his part in one of the greatest days in this club's history whilst probably already knowing he was on his way in the summer regardless.

Absolute legend and sorely missed.

Over to you guys...

These threads have been done to death regularly.

However, in the interests of others and the ones you havent mentioned already... Bentley, Collymore, Cadette, Angel, Otto.. In recent years, I also liked Wayne Gray & Shaun Goater, I always felt that there appearance on the pitch could change a game.

Yes, I see 'mattitouk'.

Would you be able to find and link those threads to this one, so we can all have a gander, before making our choices? :winking:

Right, off the top of my head :-

Cawston

Austin
Moody
Barrett
Powell

Pountney
Marsh
Butler
Tilson

Eastwood
Collymore

I'm not internet savvy Andy... But i'm sure you can, you can help me out on this one.? But im quite sure ive read a best Southend XI.. quite a lot over the years.

Not wanting to put off other posters, just saying, it's so repetitive.

I'm all ready getting depressed about the idiot that starts a thread called "next season's kit designs"... it's normally around the day after the end of the season!

Well, you have a point there.

Kit designs are for boozers, losers and Jacuzzi users!

Sansome

Francis prior ferdinand powell

Gower maher Tilson otto

Collymore Eastwood

Subs

Royce Barrett Angel Payne Marsh Ansah Mulgrew

So hard it's virtually impossible. Over the last 25 years there have been so many players I've loved having here. I guess the promotion winning team of 90/91 ranks very highly

Favourites must include those that i looked up to as a young player. But i'll have to include some that literally got me up out of my seat. So....

Paul Sansome
Alan Moody
Spencer Prior
Justin Edinburgh
Chris Powell
Kevin Maher
Ron Pountney
Bilel Moshni
Rikki Otto
Stan Collymore
Freddy Eastwood

Christ, thats some team ..

Some good shouts there but Paul Sansome, David Martin, Peter Butler and Spencer Prior would probably all get in my side

Agree there, so tricky really.

I think Sansome was a great keeper, we've had good ones in our time but I do recall big Jim Stannard very fondly too.

I also think Chris Powell and big Roy McDonough (The original Barry Corr) get honourable mentions

So

Sansome

Austin, Martin, Prior, Powell

Payne, Maher, Lenny, Tilson

Eastwood, Collymore

So many honourable mentions too! What's nice about my selections is so many of them went onto the Premiership!

Yes, I see 'mattitouk'.

Would you be able to find and link those threads to this one, so we can all have a gander, before making our choices? :winking:

I'm not internet savvy Andy... But i'm sure you can, you can help me out on this one.? But im quite sure ive read a best Southend XI.. quite a lot over the years.

Not wanting to put off other posters, just saying, it's so repetitive.

I'm all ready getting depressed about the idiot that starts a thread called "next season's kit designs"... it's normally around the day after the end of the season!

There are probably others but I lost the will to live searching them out.

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?51564-Favourite-All-times-Blues&highlight=Favourite
http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?692-Favourite-XI&highlight=Favourite
http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/show...vourite-Blues-THE-RESULTS&highlight=Favourite
http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/show...time-blues-player-and-why&highlight=Favourite
http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/show...d-XI-Not-based-on-ability&highlight=Favourite

This one was nostalgic

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/show...rite-underwear-on-a-woman&highlight=favourite

Hard one, loads of others i could have included;

Paul Sansome

Chris Powell
Alan Moody
Adam Barrett
Pat Scully

Ricky Otto
Ryan Leonard
Ron Pountney
Anton Otulokowski

Stanley Collymore
Derek Spence

subs: Mervin Cawston, Micky Stead, Andy Edwards, Keith Jones, Colin Morris, Andy Ansah, Brett Angell, Freddy Eastwood

Management Team: Phil Brown, Steve Tilson, Danny Greaves :-)

Special mention for Danny G, always used to come and talk to me and my school mates before games when we used to stand in the South Paddock near the players tunnel.

These threads have been done to death regularly.

However, in the interests of others and the ones you havent mentioned already... Bentley, Collymore, Cadette, Angel, Otto.. In recent years, I also liked Wayne Gray & Shaun Goater, I always felt that there appearance on the pitch could change a game.

To be fair mate you could just not reply to the thread if you feel like it's been done to death.

I appreciate these guys kinda things come up a lot but as another poster has already said, Best XIs come up a lot. But this is favourites. I'm interested in who were cult heroes to some. And Shrimperzone spans several generations so people will all choose different players.

Mods im getting duplicate posts? on a reply?... also cant hit the space button between words?.. I think this should be belong in area 51, as it was mentioned prior.

Sansome
Francis
Barrett
Paul Clark
Powell
Gower
Keith Jones
Peter Butler
Otto
Crown
Sir stan

Sammy,