• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As highlighted on another thread, we (Southend United) are in a very similar position to last season.

Last season during February we blew hot ......... and then cold.

Having won at Shrewsbury (with 10 men) and beaten Colchester at home we then lost away at Scunthorpe and Bradford followed by a win at home to Burton and then an away loss at Port Vale.

February 2016 - 9 points out of 18 points.

February 2017 sees us again playing 6 times and 3 points on the board already. And then .......

Millwall (A)
Oxford (A)
Cobblers (H)
Posh (A)
Gills (A)

Away draws and a win at home would only see a return on 10 points. By 'eck it's a tough division.

I certainly think we will win at least 1 of those 4 away games the way we're playing.

I'm going for 2 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat - so 11/18 points which would be pretty good.

6 of the next 8 are away, so winning the 2 home games is a must.

From the 6 away games, if we can take 10 points we'll still be in and around the play-off picture.

Unbeaten until the end of the season and up as champions. You heard it hear first. :thumbsup::winking:

Unbeaten until the end of the season and up as champions. You heard it hear first. :thumbsup::winking:

Close this forum now.....I miss the Brown out, players hate him, players doing it for the tea lady/coach/popular player, conspiracy theorists and general scorn....I'll come back after the next defeat.....if there is one :winking:

Many similarities to last season no doubt. One difference though imo...I think we are playing better and looking classy all over. Last season the team did not have that feel...more grinding victories than the sheer dominance we have seen at times during this current spell.

I think Saturdays game will set the tone for the rest of Feb.
Must not let them bully us like they did at home.
Think we were unlucky there in the cup and overall think we are better than them.
But they are doing well and will be a tricky one.

I certainly think we will win at least 1 of those 4 away games the way we're playing.

I'm going for 2 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat - so 11/18 points which would be pretty good.

I'm with you on that one, looking at those upcoming fixtures in the initial post and at their own current league positions, I think 11 points is the most realistic.

2 away wins coming at Northampton & Gillingham.

Based on our current form, 10 points looks easily achievable with 2 wins, 2 losses and a draw, and I wouldn't rule out 12 points either with 3 wins and 2 losses. (i'd be surprised and over the moon if we managed any more than that).

As highlighted on another thread, we (Southend United) are in a very similar position to last season.

Last season during February we blew hot ......... and then cold.

Having won at Shrewsbury (with 10 men) and beaten Colchester at home we then lost away at Scunthorpe and Bradford followed by a win at home to Burton and then an away loss at Port Vale.

February 2016 - 9 points out of 18 points.

February 2017 sees us again playing 6 times and 3 points on the board already. And then .......

Millwall (A)
Oxford (A)
Cobblers (H)
Posh (A)
Gills (A)

Away draws and a win at home would only see a return on 10 points. By 'eck it's a tough division.

With our current form and the strength in depth we have (barring the CB position) so AF please stay fit, I can see us going on an unbeaten run in February. None of the above teams scare me at all

I can't see us falling away as badly as we did last year. Our recent record against the top sides is not bad at all, so I would back us to do OK in Feb, it all depends on how lucky we are with injuries/suspensions.

If we can come out of February in a good position, March and April don't look nearly as daunting, with the usual caveat that no game at this level is easy.

With our current form and the strength in depth we have (barring the CB position) so AF please stay fit, I can see us going on an unbeaten run in February. None of the above teams scare me at all

Of those, Millwall and Peterborough certainly worry me a tad.

Millwall seem to be a bit like us, consistent in terms of picking up the points, but never really winning by any big margins. Their last league loss was back on the 17th December against Scunthorpe & bearing in mind they have knocked 2 premiership clubs out of the FA Cup so far (Bournemouth & Watford).

Peterborough on the other hand, is more likely to go either way, depending on what Posh team show up on the day.
They seem to either get thrashed within an inch of their lives (ie: their recent 0-4 loss to Mk Dons or the 2-5 loss to Bury) or have a goal fest like their 5-2 win over Chesterfield or their 5-1 win over Millwall at the beginning of the season.
Either which way, i'm sure there will be goals from both sides in our clash with them, they haven't had a 0-0 result yet so far this season, and the way both teams seem to score freely i'm sure this wont be one of them.

Currently, Northampton at home and Gillingham away don't scare me, but I think Oxford away will be more tricky then we think, and i'm predicting a draw for that one.

Anyway it's all theory, but I wouldn't be to down hearted if we came away with a single point from the next 2 games, and then went on an undefeated streak until we face Bolton in April.

UTB

:loyalsupporter:

Last edited:
Dead right
Feb will be a tough month with all those away trips
One thing that was instrumental in last year's run in was that Lenny got done by that Col U guy
He was a big big miss
I remain optimistic if we steer clear of serious injury that we can do something special this year
Fingers crossed

Given that Millwall and Peterborough are up there with us I think it is important not to lose those games (not that we want to lose any game at all) -winning would help put some space between us and them - the old "it's a 6 pointer" cliche.

51 points to play for and we probably need another 30 at least to be in playoffs. We certainly can't afford to drop too many points this month.

10 points from those 5 games is well within our capabilities. I think the difference this season compared to last is that this time round we have quality throughout the squad. I do worry that an injury to either Ferdinand or Thompson could make things difficult for us but the rest of the squad is pretty strong. Millwall and Peterborough away on paper will be our toughest tests you'd think though that said Peterborough form in recent weeks has been up and down. A win vs Northampton is an absolute must given the amount of away games we are playing during the month.

We certainly have a better squad this year.
But 6 out of 8 away? Is an extremely tough ask for any team in any division.

Millwall (A)
Oxford (A)
Cobblers (H)
Posh (A)
Gills (A)

Can't see us losing more than 1 of these. We will beat Cobblers and Gills.

Plus one of Posh/Oxford

I see 10 points from the 5

I think we'll do ok. Probably a bit optimistic, but I'm saying all wins except for Millwall and Posh, which will be draws

Back