• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

February Fixtures 2021

After the high of December's point tally came the low of a not so good January.

Here is what February has in store for us stressed and concerned Southend United fans.

Walsall (H) - Saturday 6th Feb

Newport (A) - Tuesday 9th Feb

Cambridge (A) - Saturday 13th Feb

Bolton (H) - Saturday 20th Feb

Forest Green (A) - Tuesday 23rd Feb

Salford (H) - Saturday 27th Feb

A rather busy time for the shortest month of the year.

Should all those games go ahead we will have played 32 games of the season - or about 70% of the season.

What can we realistically expect from those games........Walsall are beatable, we've already done so, Newport aren't the force they were (only three points from their last five games), Cambridge will likely beat us, Bolton are stuttering so we could beat them, Forest Green will likely beat us as will Salford. So......maybe 5 - 9 points out of a possible 18 if we're lucky....? March offers somewhat easier fixtures and Olayinka should be back but by then it may be too late.

The way you have listed the upcoming fixtures certainly focuses the mind........in my opinion unless there is a significant upturn in the performance of our team I cannot see us accumulating many points and after yesterday's lacklustre signings compared to what some of our relegation rivals achieved it's not looking good. I just hope we can dig deep and grind out some results, fingers crossed........

Thats a busy Feb considering its one of the shortest months of the year.

Got to be aiming for at least 3 wins from that to keep holding onto the coat tails of other clubs around us. Anything more then February will have been very productive indeed

Hard fixtures if you ask me. If MM continues with this 532 formation then it's good night Vienna! Go back to the 4231 formation which was getting some points.......

First thing for me is to go back to having a tight defence. The longer we can keep a clean sheet in each game, the more opportunity we will have to win the game should we get one in the onion bag at the other end.

Not much of a strategy I admit.

Newport might have only 3 points from their last 5 games, but Port vale had only 1 win in their last 11 until we rocked up at vale park and played them off the pitch for at least 3 seconds.

Walsall will be up for the game and out to prove they are not a complete bunch of muppets after being the first team to lose to us - draw at best

Newport away - hopefully we will concede less than 5!

Cambridge away - 3 goal defeat

Bolton - if we can score and score first this is the one I fancy us to get something out of. head says draw, heart wants win

Forest Green away - defeat

Salford home defeat.

I see 4 points max based on the current squad and tactics we are using along with the injuries we are carrying.

You only have to listen to the frustration from Clarky on his summaries in the repeated basic mistakes we make and why we don't address them and his astonishment that our management team don't seem to be able to spotlight them and change our set ups and the concern and painfully honest assessment from Glenn Pennyfather after Saturday's pathetic display to realise the trouble we are in. There was nothing to see any change in the activity or lack of it last night. We have a talented midfielder who has only played 10 games since August because of an injury that initially was going to see him out for the season. Also a very good young prospect that won't be able to play until March again due to injury. In the mean time we have one forward player who has a dodgy hamstring and a youth player we released and bought back into the club when once again we failed to attract, for whatever reason a decent forward in the summer, in a total panic move.

Our run that gave some hope in December was against a Col U side who have fallen like a stone in recent weeks and show the same issue of no one sticking the ball in the net, and they got rid of a striker to Stevenage, Luke Norris! The other wins were against Grimsby, who are just as bad as us and it seems the 0-0 draw there was definitely 2 points dropped to and an edgy win against Barrow.

As soon as we play any team out of the basement our defence is like a sieve and we have absolutely no penetration up front.

Letting my head rule my heart, After February is played out I could see us down by mid March and it breaks my heart that I can't see anything in our current state to change my mind on that.

One of the most painful posts I have ever written bar none!

Last edited:
Goals win games and where are they going to come from in our team. We must be the easiest team to defend against.

Newport might have only 3 points from their last 5 games, but Port vale had only 1 win in their last 11 until we rocked up at vale park and played them off the pitch for at least 3 seconds.

Walsall will be up for the game and out to prove they are not a complete bunch of muppets after being the first team to lose to us - draw at best

Newport away - hopefully we will concede less than 5!

Cambridge away - 3 goal defeat

Bolton - if we can score and score first this is the one I fancy us to get something out of. head says draw, heart wants win

Forest Green away - defeat

Salford home defeat.

I see 4 points max based on the current squad and tactics we are using along with the injuries we are carrying.

You only have to listen to the frustration from Clarky on his summaries in the repeated basic mistakes we make and why we don't address them and his astonishment that our management team don't seem to be able to spotlight them and change our set ups and the concern and painfully honest assessment from Glenn Pennyfather after Saturday's pathetic display to realise the trouble we are in. There was nothing to see any change in the activity or lack of it last night. We have a talented midfielder who has only played 10 games since August because of an injury that initially was going to see him out for the season. Also a very good young prospect that won't be able to play until March again due to injury. In the mean time we have one forward player who has a dodgy hamstring and a youth player we released and bought back into the club when once again we failed to attract, for whatever reason a decent forward in the summer, in a total panic move.

Our run that gave some hope in December was against a Col U side who have fallen like a stone in recent weeks and show the same issue of no one sticking the ball in the net, and they got rid of a striker to Stevenage, Luke Norris! The other wins were against Grimsby, who are just as bad as us and it seems the 0-0 draw there was definitely 2 points dropped to and an edgy win against Barrow.

As soon as we play any team out of the basement our defence is like a sieve and we have absolutely no penetration up front.

Letting my head rule my heart, After February is played out I could see us down by mid March and it breaks my heart that I can't see anything in our current state to change my mind on that.

One of the most painful posts I have ever written bar none!

I am find myself thinking like this and thinking it would take an incredible piece of management to actually turn this around now ...

With the current weather predictions, & freezing temps due for most of next week, odds on Tuesday's game at Newport being called off again?.

According to the B.B.C. Newport will be at or just above freezing during the day with temperatures falling to -3C during the evening.

I reckon if we can average a point a game over those 6 games that will be decent. A win and a couple of draws is probably more liekyl, 5 points. Given how bad Barrow and Grimsby are at the moment, as long as they don't suddently go on a run 5 or 6 points will probaby keep us about where we are compared to them. Then we have to go on a bit of a run ourselves when some potentially 'less tough' games come along or its game over..

50/50 we finish the month with the same manager we started with. Before anyone tramples on me I should say I hope we have the same manager as that will have meant an uptick in performances.

Looking at those fixtures is rather worrying. Take those out of the equation and we will be running out of time. Realistically I can only see Grimsby, Barrow and Stevenage as the teams we have any hope of finishing above. Only takes 2 of them to put a run together and we’re done for. I’d really hope we can pick up 7 points from those home games. Anything other than defeat from the aways would be a bonus.

I wonder though whether there is any home advantage now, with no crowds?

What can we realistically expect from those games........Walsall are beatable, we've already done so, Newport aren't the force they were (only three points from their last five games), Cambridge will likely beat us, Bolton are stuttering so we could beat them, Forest Green will likely beat us as will Salford. So......maybe 5 - 9 points out of a possible 18 if we're lucky....? March offers somewhat easier fixtures and Olayinka should be back but by then it may be too late.

Well, that's a good start. Cambridge being thrashed by Salford tonight may be good news for us but just as easily may not be!

Stevenage winning at Tranmere was a surprise and reduces our relegation mini league to just three teams, ourselves, Grimsby and Barrow. But we only need to finish 22nd........

Back