• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperjon

President
I was having a chat with my parents the other day. Due to flying out on holiday Friday they will miss the game Saturday. It was actually my mum who said she was gutted to miss the game as it means so much more this time. My dad agreed, he had waited 61 years to see Southend at Wembley, me 33 years. But last time there was a sense of occasion, the first time the club had played at Wembley, and although of course we were desperate to see us win and distraught at the defeat there was a sense of 'oh well at least we have seen Southend at Wembley' and rightly so we were the under dogs in that game, against a decent Crewe side.

This time though it does mean more. We have now played 48 games to get to this one off game, the whole season will come down to Saturday, very much like we all felt travelling to Morecambe. On that day the team didnt deliver, but over the two legs against Stevenage they showed an incredible ability to bounce back in both games, a real togetherness and fighting spirit. It is clear to me, that every player is 100% committed to the club and its goal to get promotion. So, my mum is right, Saturday does mean so much more. Can we do it? yes. Will we do it? who knows, but we have a real good chance. Wycombe wont be easy but i just feel that if we can keep the game tight, ultimately we will pull through. If not that journey home will feel even longer than last time!

Come on you Shrimpers

As Ive said before, the JPT trophy was a nice day out, the only reason for it is to get to Wembley. Would have been nice to win it, but really didnt care we didn't, the big part of that was actually going to Wembley.

This is different, its about the result first and foremost and is the culmination of 5 years in this league and if we win will get us out of the basement division after watching all our local rivals enjoy playing in the league above us.

Playing at Wembley this time will mean little on its own if we get beaten.

I read on twitter John White said how proud he was to be playing at Wembley, I just hope they realise that for us fans the Wembley experience is part of it, but that winning at Wembley is more important.

The first time was certainly a novelty and I didn't expect us to get anything from the game, although the way we lost and the early goals in each half did flatten the atmosphere a bit.

This time there is more hope and expectation. I believe we have the capability to win it, but whether we will win it is another question. I can see it being a very tense game, possibly decided by a late goal.

I'm hoping that it being some of the lads second time at Wembley after the JPT that will work in our favour. Wycombe haven't been to Wembley in 21 years. In the JPT Crewe settled really quickly, probably due to having been under the Arch the previous season in the play-offs. The likes of Corr, Timlin, Atkinson (who reached Wembley twice in 2 months with Bradford) and also Barrett who has been there and done it with us before can all play a big part in this respect.

If you look at the spine of our side we have some very experienced players and it's that which I hope will help to see us over the line.

I'm hoping that it being some of the lads second time at Wembley after the JPT that will work in our favour. Wycombe haven't been to Wembley in 21 years. In the JPT Crewe settled really quickly, probably due to having been under the Arch the previous season in the play-offs. The likes of Corr, Timlin, Atkinson (who reached Wembley twice in 2 months with Bradford) and also Barrett who has been there and done it with us before can all play a big part in this respect.

If you look at the spine of our side we have some very experienced players and it's that which I hope will help to see us over the line.

I would certainly hope that the experience a couple of seasons ago will go some way to helping the players relax a bit. What is also interesting is that under Tilson we made a big thing of the LDV finals with suits for the players etc. We didn't do any of that for the play off final.

I also read on the BBC website today that the Wycombe players have been measured for their club blazers. I hope (and it really is a hope) that they over-hype this to our advantage, like we have been guilty of in the past.

like others I remember last time seeing the Crewe players going through their warm up routines - and our players taking photos !

I agree this time does feel different, its much more important. Its also (obviously) end of season and we don't have the side Issue of our manager being sacked and the pantomime over who would manage at Wembley which upset many of us. I don't recall the matches before Wembley lat time, but this year it is on the back of a great run, the last match was amazing and I would guess that many of us didn't fancy our chances against Crewe. but think we have a better chance against Wycombe

Yep , totally different this time for sure.
We all seemed to agree that the team selection last time was awful ( Mohsni in CM , Straker , Barker coming to the end ) and I'm pretty sure it will be much more settled this time.
One thing that struck me about the side last time was our bench : BENTLEY , PHILLIPS , REEVES , EASTWOOD and CORR !
Think they would have given the starting 11 a run for their money.
JPT was only 5 subs , but can anyone recall if Leonard was injured ( I know Timlin was ) or just left out ?

Least PB has an idea of his players and no glory (re)signing like that pointless nutter Moshni.

Sure i read the other day he was just left out, very harsh!!

Yep , totally different this time for sure.
We all seemed to agree that the team selection last time was awful ( Mohsni in CM , Straker , Barker coming to the end ) and I'm pretty sure it will be much more settled this time.
One thing that struck me about the side last time was our bench : BENTLEY , PHILLIPS , REEVES , EASTWOOD and CORR !
Think they would have given the starting 11 a run for their money.
JPT was only 5 subs , but can anyone recall if Leonard was injured ( I know Timlin was ) or just left out ?

He was left out

I would certainly hope that the experience a couple of seasons ago will go some way to helping the players relax a bit. What is also interesting is that under Tilson we made a big thing of the LDV finals with suits for the players etc. We didn't do any of that for the play off final.

I also read on the BBC website today that the Wycombe players have been measured for their club blazers. I hope (and it really is a hope) that they over-hype this to our advantage, like we have been guilty of in the past.

We've just banned seven of our club blazers.

Spoken to a lot of blues fans and all feel sorry for Luke Prosser, he has played in 30 odd games this season, and is one of the whole team, not just the 11 who started last thursday is a team game and all who have played should be thought of at this time. Thats is folks.

Spot on. Last time for me was a realisation of a lifelong dream to see my beloved Sufc grace the hallowed turf.....I could not care less about the result etc etc
This time however is a very different story, we could be playing at south church park,the venue is irrelevant, the result is all that matters, promotion is at stake. I am already nervous for this one.

Pretty amazing that Bentley , Corr and Leonard were all fit and available last time , but none of them started !

Strangest decisions for me last time were Mohsni starting and Lenny not even making bench. Even back then, two years younger, Lenny had that ability to burst forward and cause trouble in opposition defences. I should very much hope that he will be one of the first names on the team sheet this time. This will be Tims' 3rd time, once with Swindon, and once with us. He didn't get to play on either of his previous visits, again, one of our most important players. I would say 9 out of the team pick themselves, the only issues really are who partners Corr, and who takes the 4th midfield spot.

Have felt for some time, that this was our destiny this year, and the signs all suggest to me, that this is our season.

Pretty amazing that Bentley , Corr and Leonard were all fit and available last time , but none of them started !

In fairness Bentley was 2nd choice behind Smith at the time, and Smith had played almost the entire season.

It was the same with Cardiff. The cup finals were days out, the one that mattered was full of nerves and it didn't matter where it was being played.

Back