• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Female songwriters

MK Shrimper

Striker
As their is not a single lady entrant in the latest Battle of, I've been wondering why that is? There's some great female songwriters out there - Carole King, Patti Smith, Bjork, Tori Amos for example, but not a single one made the 32.

Are we all sexist pigs?

Yeah, it is odd. I put it down to music obsessives being mostly male (did any females even nominate anyone?), and most great songwrters being male too :)

I considered nominating Joni Mitchell or Sandy Denny, but didn't think either had a hope in hell of winning.

As their is not a single lady entrant in the latest Battle of, I've been wondering why that is? There's some great female songwriters out there - Carole King, Patti Smith, Bjork, Tori Amos for example, but not a single one made the 32.

Are we all sexist pigs?
And especially with Joanna Newsom's ode to Southend v Swansea
[video=youtube;NUpElXWVMj4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUpElXWVMj4[/video]

and this for good measure
[video=youtube;KCCl3nzL5PI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCCl3nzL5PI[/video]

Yeah, it is odd. I put it down to music obsessives being mostly male (did any females even nominate anyone?), and most great songwrters being male too :)

I considered nominating Joni Mitchell or Sandy Denny, but didn't think either had a hope in hell of winning.

OBL went for Stevie Wonder.

And especially with Joanna Newsom's ode to Southend v Swansea
[video=youtube;NUpElXWVMj4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUpElXWVMj4[/video]

and this for good measure
[video=youtube;KCCl3nzL5PI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCCl3nzL5PI[/video]

Bah! Can't Green you as I "Have to spread it around". But suffice to say Miss Newsom earns you major brownie points.

There are/have been plenty of superb female songwriters around, maybe it is a simple case of as a majority male board, we identify better with male songwriters, all about perspective i suppose.

How about we come up with a list of female songwriters and make a mini-battle poll for it?

Other suggestions:
Cat Power, PJ Harvey, Lady Gaga, Vashti Bunyan, Kate Bush, Karen O, Debbie Harry, Annie Lennox, Siouxsie Sioux, Nina Simone, Aretha Franklin, Kim Deal, Kim Gordon, Dolly Parton (Mrs DS would kill me if I didn't mention her), Billie Holiday, Missy Elliott...

Bah! Can't Green you as I "Have to spread it around". But suffice to say Miss Newsom earns you major brownie points.

There are/have been plenty of superb female songwriters around, maybe it is a simple case of as a majority male board, we identify better with male songwriters, all about perspective i suppose.

How about we come up with a list of female songwriters and make a mini-battle poll for it?

Other suggestions:
Cat Power, PJ Harvey, Lady Gaga, Vashti Bunyan, Kate Bush, Karen O, Debbie Harry, Annie Lennox, Siouxsie Sioux, Nina Simone, Aretha Franklin, Kim Deal, Kim Gordon, Dolly Parton (Mrs DS would kill me if I didn't mention her), Billie Holiday, Missy Elliott...

Sounds like a plan mate, suggest after this battle has ended.

Other suggestions:
Cheers - I'm sure Rusty will green me on your behalf.
I do whatever Shrimperzone tells me and since it said 'spread it around' I have engaged in several morally dubious but physically pleasing affairs.
Vashti Bunyan makes Kevin Shields look like a workaholic!
Best female song writer defo of interest when this one has run its course, and best songwriter since 2000 could educate us all.

Are we all sexist pigs?

I didnt realise this poll was running but if I had seen it then this is where my nomination would have gone. Most of the songs written and performed by this artist are timeless classics.

I didnt realise this poll was running but if I had seen it then this is where my nomination would have gone. Most of the songs written and performed by this artist are timeless classics.

I know I must these polls clearer in future :dim:

Not true, she wrote Material girl for a start! She didn't write all of her stuff though. From what i am led to believe she wrote a lot of lyrics but not the music.

'Ray Of Light' being a perfect example (and a f**king good album to boot!)

It does raise a good question though. What is more important to song writing, writing the lyrics, or writing the music. Which influences which more? Certainly within the dance music genre, lyrics are second place to the music/production side of things, but that said most instrumentals wouldnt become as 'popular' without the lyrics added (Avicii's - 'Penguin' ---> Leona Lewis/Avicii - 'Collide', or Tim Berg 'Bromance' ----> Tim Berg 'Seek Bromance' as a couple of examples).

Last edited:
Back