• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fenchurch Street Closing

MrB

Life President
Just had this fly round on an email:

Thousands of commuters face up to a year of chaos next year when one of the main line stations in London is closed.

London Fenchurch Street will be closing in October 2011 for major redevelopment of the station and surrounding building and TfL have warned that it could take up to a year to complete.

The line which carries thousands of commuters each day will be diverted to nearby Liverpool Street. Network Rail have estimated that the station will be out of action for eight months which would mean that the Fenchurch Street line will be open and ready to share the responsibility of carrying an extra 200,000 people in 2012 for the Olympics. Insiders however fear that Fenchurch Street will not be re-opened until early 2013.

It will also cause chaos for people in Essex who use the line to get to the Docklands as all trains will be diverted to Stratford and Liverpool Street.

Blimey. That's going to cause carnage. I've never thought the station required major redevelopment, it seemed perfectly functionable...

I do not know what the trouble is, surely we have experienced this before when they replaced all the OHCs and signalling between Barking and Fenchurch St, we were diverted into Liverpool St for sometime.

Those at docklands will need to get on the DLR at Stratford instead of West Ham, which is only stop away. People needing the Tube will be able to jump on more lines at the terminus, instead of walking to another station.

Do not think last weeks problems at Liverpool St will be the same when they have an organised timetable. I feel more sorry for the commuters on the smaller lines as they will find their trains are sacrificed to accommodate our trains at Liverpool St.

Of course I am in favour of this as I work in Broadgate Circle which means I only have 3 mins walk undercover to the office :D

TBH I have always wondered after the time I mentioned above why the powers at be did not run at least one c2c train to Liverpool St per hour and a NXEC train from Southend Vic into Fenchurch St.

They did a whole load of major refurbishment and there were quite a few new buildings constructed in the 90's without the Station having to close. Although it was surrounded by scaffolding for about 5 years, and IIRC the last train out at night was around 2100hrs before you had to trek to Liverpool Street.

I hope I have a job when I finish punching the keyboard and headbutting the screen!

They did a whole load of major refurbishment and there were quite a few new buildings constructed in the 90's without the Station having to close. Although it was surrounded by scaffolding for about 5 years, and IIRC the last train out at night was around 2100hrs before you had to trek to Liverpool Street.

It did happen back in 94 when I last worked up in London, the station was completely closed for 3 months so you had to either go to Liverpool Street or get a tube to Barking.

Wasnt nice!

This must be a hoax though, they wouldnt shut it for a year.

It did happen back in 94 when I last worked up in London, the station was completely closed for 3 months so you had to either go to Liverpool Street or get a tube to Barking.

Wasnt nice!

This must be a hoax though, they wouldnt shut it for a year.

Didn't know that as at the time I was an exile and would only go through Fenchurch St occasionaly.

Back