• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
I have a dream. I have a dream of Rome, May 27. I see Rio Ferdinand lifting the Champions League trophy, I see Wayne Rooney throwing his shirt into the crowd, but most of all, I see Sir Alex Ferguson leaning into a camera crew and, above the roar of the crowd, giving them the scoop of their lives.

"That's it for me, lads. I quit."

The annals of football history are littered with the poisoned legacies of those who went on too long. Brian Clough's achievements are tarnished by our final memory of him at Bramall Lane, tears rolling down his crimson cheeks as Nottingham Forest were relegated with a whimper. Bobby Robson should have sensed which way the wind was blowing at St James Park and got out with his dignity before lesser men tried to rob him of it. I don't want to remember Ferguson as anything less than a winner.

He has fallen foul of this delicate issue in the past. He famously reversed his decision to retire in 2002 when the speculation over his successor destroyed the form of his players and contributed to an unprecedented third place finish. He stayed on, kicked some bottoms and the title was duly reclaimed in 2003. Did he quit then? Nope, he gambled and three barren years followed. Roman Abramovich's wealth had raised the bar so far above his head that his players were reduced to celebrating their 2006 League Cup win over Wigan as if it actually meant something. For those three long years there was a suspicion that football had moved on and left him behind.

Of course, we know now that it hadn't. Those years chasing the coat-tails of Jose Mourinho were spent reconfiguring the team into the slick operation you see today. But it was concerning, wasn't it? I spoke to a number of United fans in that period who were convinced that his powers had faded and that he needed to be replaced. There were protests against him at Carrington! Now I'm not a Manchester United fan, I prefer my Uniteds to be of the Southend variety, but no-one wants to see a legend slipping out into the shadows like that.

Ferguson is the greatest football manager of all time. Bob Paisley was the most successful, albeit after inheriting a winning side and Clough was the miracle worker who won the league with two unfashionable, provincial clubs. Ferguson has done it all. He started at the bottom with East Stirlingshire, worked his way up through St Mirren and Aberdeen, took on the crippled giant that was Manchester United in 1986 and then fashioned four great generations of teams; 1993, 1996, 1999, 2007.

If United pick up a point tonight, as they surely will, it will be only the fifth time in English football history that a team has won a third consecutive league championship. Only Huddersfield in the 20s, Arsenal in the 30s, Liverpool in the 80s and United themselves at the start of this century have ever managed such a feat. If he wants to leave on a high, now would be a good time.

Just imagine if he stays and United fade next season. If Liverpool strengthen and beat them to the title. If Chelsea ever get their act together and appoint a manager for more than six months. If Arsenal's youngsters come of age. How long do you think the Glazers would give a 70 year old to get it right? Probably about as long as Freddy Shepherd gave Sir Bobby.

Ferguson doesn't owe anything to anyone. He has the luxury of being able to choose how he leaves the club. If Manchester United beat Barcelona in Rome, I sincerely hope that he makes the right choice.

I think it'll be another year before he contemplates retiring... And even then a man like Sir Alex will never truely leave the club.

One of my favourite SAF quotes is one he gave to a journalist when asked about what his goal at United was, I'm adlibbing, but it was distinctly close to: "My biggest goal at United is to knock Liverpool off their f*cking perch... And you can print that".

With United look set to equal Liverpool's record of 18 titles, I think he'll surpass it with 19 and then leave that phenomenal squad he's assembled in the hands of David Moyes.

I think he'll keep going til he's 70 and even then I think he'll still want to stay on.

When the day does come when he retires I hope Man United dont do what Chelsea have done and gone through 3-4 managers in the last few years.

Greatest football manager of all time??

I think we can look closer to home than that, we know one manager who has a 100% winning record over Ferguson.;)

Greatest football manager of all time??

I think we can look closer to home than that, we know one manager who has a 100% winning record over Ferguson.;)

Good point but TBH cannot see the particular gentleman you are referring to ever winning 11 Premier League titles and 2 (possibly 3) Champions League titles. :)

Good point but TBH cannot see the particular gentleman you are referring to ever winning 11 Premier League titles and 2 (possibly 3) Champions League titles. :)

not with a Utd of the Southend variety! Who knows what Tilly could achieve in 15 years time, when he has moved on to bigger and better things.

Tomorrow's interview in The Sunday Times could tell us a lot about what Ferguson's plans are. I am sure he wants to win at least another title to forge ahead of Liverpool though.

I agree that he'll probably give it one more season, so prepare for him masticating as ever like some three toed ungulate chewing the cud.:)

After listening to him after the match today, i don't think he has any plans to retire for a while yet. I agree to a point with what slipperduke says but with the squad that he has at his disposal, i believe they will be champions yet again next year

I think he'll die in the dugout like Jock Stein, though hopefully not in a couple of weeks when Manure get smashed by Barcelona.

I think he'll die in the dugout like Jock Stein, though hopefully not in a couple of weeks when Manure get smashed by Barcelona.

Nice to see there are still people about who would rather support a club they have no affiliation with whatsoever than get behind a club representing their own country...

Nice to see there are still people about who would rather support a club they have no affiliation with whatsoever than get behind a club representing their own country...

That's down to personal choice, lots of people have a Spanish team that they follow, or indeed, one from any of a number of countries, particularly if a player you've admired ends up there. You don't HAVE to support a British team.

"Representing their own country?" Have you been overdosing on the Eurovision song contest?

It's a club competition pure and simple, or is this just a bit of :net:

Great article this one, and spot on with the facts that SAF is now the greatest club manager ever, love him or hate him, you really cannot argue with that one.

Being a Southend Utd fan I have never seen the reason to hate a club who we have no connection to, and enjoy watching them play exciting football. I will be watching the game next week as a netrual, but would certainly not mind one bit if Utd won it again.

Back