• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Ferguson’s Goal

So, that goal last night. Has there ever been a better goal scored by a Southend player, and if so what was it? I cannot think of one in my 45 years.

I’m expecting this to be a very a short thread.

It was the goal I remember John Nielsen's goal against Bolton being.

We should also mention Charlie Kelman's debut. In comparison Ferguson's was a tap in.

April 1988 v Wigan, David Crown scored one of the best goals I have ever seen, very similar distance to Ferguson’s. Martin Ling I seem to remember also scored a cracker that night. Added to that we came back from 0-2 down to win 3-2, Shame there was only about 3000 at the hall to see it.

Fantastic goals and in the context of trailing in that game and where we were in the League at that time, i.e. fighting relegation from the old Div. 3, they were so valuable. I think that game was part of those five wins from the last seven games that just kept us up that season.

I remember a wonderful thunderbolt from David Crown v Chesterfield (away) in late '89. Only about 30 yards out though.

It was as clean a strike as I can remember. Amazing goal.

It’s just my preference though, but I like a team goal or one where a player goes on a mazy run. I think I can remember a great goal scored by Nathan Jones where he dribbled from his own third and slotted past the keeper.

Probably the best but without fans to witness it from a terrace point of view unfortunately.

What makes a great goal. Importance, occasion, opposition or just sheer brilliance.

A few off of the top of my head.

Mohnsi v northampton 35 yarder
Andy Sussex v luton to stay up
Freddy v Bristol City for the hatrick
Michael Timlin v Stevenage with he head gear
Piggot for obvious reasons
Clark v Chelsea for the pure scenes

That goal yesterday is right up there. It wasn’t a flukey hit and hope, he made the chance himself, turned and with barely time to think about it arrowed it into the top corner from probably close to 40 yards. If Zlatan had done that it would be goal of the season at any level.

It was as clean a strike as I can remember. Amazing goal.

It’s just my preference though, but I like a team goal or one where a player goes on a mazy run. I think I can remember a great goal scored by Nathan Jones where he dribbled from his own third and slotted past the keeper.
Last game of the season IIRC, and possibly late on? Won me a bit of money that as well.

Probably the best but without fans to witness it from a terrace point of view unfortunately.

What makes a great goal. Importance, occasion, opposition or just sheer brilliance.

A few off of the top of my head.

Mohnsi v northampton 35 yarder
Andy Sussex v luton to stay up
Freddy v Bristol City for the hatrick
Michael Timlin v Stevenage with he head gear
Piggot for obvious reasons
Clark v Chelsea for the pure scenes

That was the goal that last nights effort reminded me of. Looking at the grass gut lines on the Roots Hall pitch, that were 6 yards wide, I reckon Mohsni was 38 yards out with no wind assistance.

Last nights goal probably topped it though. Just.

April 1988 v Wigan, David Crown scored one of the best goals I have ever seen, very similar distance to Ferguson’s. Martin Ling I seem to remember also scored a cracker that night. Added to that we came back from 0-2 down to win 3-2, Shame there was only about 3000 at the hall to see it.
Yep, my favourite too. It was ' only' about 25 yards but Crowny cut in from flank and beat a couple on the way, albeit every time he talks about it the goal gets better. And yes, it being the winner after being two down made it more special, aswell as being under thr Friday night lights. And it gets a deserved mention in the Good Book, the ultimate accolade

It depends on how you define the greatest goal.
A 40 yarder like that? A well worked end-to-end with 14 passes? An individual Maradona-type goal?

John Cornwell's 90th minute winner in a 3-2 home win over Preston was pretty special back in the early 90s.

Another vote also for Ricky Otto's "Crossy come shotty" (his words not mine) away at Barnsley.

For technique (and a bit for 'the being there' factor), Cox's goal away at Bradford in Jan 2019 is top three 3 for me. A ridiculous outside of the boot shot that seemed incredulous from our position in Valley Parade. The highlights proved it so.

Back