• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Ferguson’s Goal

Andy Sussex volley vs Luton? That was class and what a game to do it. What a shame Ferguson did it in an empty ground .. nothing like being right behind the goal seeing it crash in.
I seem to remember that one thundering along the grass like a long shot on a snooker table (could be my memory has changed it though).

I think he's still trying to get the ball under control
Yes, that's the one I had in mind. I travelled down from Suffolk in a hired minibus with Ipswich supporting friends. I enjoyed the return journey.

Ferguson's goal was special. Certainly one of the best I've seen from a Shrimper in over 60 years of watching the lads - Kelman's at Plymouth is a competitor. Mind you, Hobson's goal on Wednesday was also something special and Dieng's measured, lofted, curling shot following great work by Akinola was also pretty damn good.

I think I can safely say that whilst it's certainly possible to argue that there have been one or two better goals than Ferguson's over those 60 years I don't think there has been another game when we have scored three goals of such outstanding quality.

Ferguson's goal was special. Certainly one of the best I've seen from a Shrimper in over 60 years of watching the lads - Kelman's at Plymouth is a competitor. Mind you, Hobson's goal on Wednesday was also something special and Dieng's measured, lofted, curling shot following great work by Akinola was also pretty damn good.

I think I can safely say that whilst it's certainly possible to argue that there have been one or two better goals than Ferguson's over those 60 years I don't think there has been another game when we have scored three goals of such outstanding quality.
The 4-0 win at Bradford a couple of years ago contained 4 goal of the month contenders.
Unfortunately that was that until we eventually won a game under Kevin Bond.

The 4-0 win at Bradford a couple of years ago contained 4 goal of the month contenders.
Unfortunately that was that until we eventually won a game under Kevin Bond.

True, but none of those was really a contender for goal of the last 60 years.

Reactions: fbm
I happen to agree with you here. I like to see a really good team goal. (I seem to remember Arsenal scored a lot of them under Arsene Wenger.) The problem is that they never really seem to be appreciated and don't really seem to win any awards.
Not appreciated, don’t win any awards?
I give you 1970 World Cup final Carlos Alberto,

Reactions: fbm
I know this is being very pedantic, but I do think Ferguson's was better. The difference is that Kelman saw the 'keeper off his line and lobbed him. Ferguson's was actually a shot rather than a lob, with the 'keeper in a pretty good position.

I know you could argue this until the cows come home, so I think I'll just add that it's a nice discussion to be having!

Lobbed? LOBBED?

I know he technically did, but the word hardly conjours up in the mind what actually happened. I'll bet no-one describing that goal on the day called it a lob.

Lobbed? LOBBED?

I know he technically did, but the word hardly conjours up in the mind what actually happened. I'll bet no-one describing that goal on the day called it a lob.

I did...I said he lobbed the 'keeper from the half way line.

I didn't say they never win awards. However, I'm glad you managed to find one from 50 years ago!
It wins the award for best goal ever most years, so it’s actually up to date ?
So the age actually adds to my point, not detract from it .A TEAM goal scored 50 years ago is still rated as a better goal than thousands of “worldies”

It wins the award for best goal ever most years, so it’s actually up to date ?
So the age actually adds to my point, not detract from it .A TEAM goal scored 50 years ago is still rated as a better goal than thousands of “worldies”

1 in 50 years doesn't prove your point!

Best view in football, high up and close to the pitch - a rare observation point. I think on the clubsite, you can see views from various seats
For a good few years, I had a season ticket in the front row of the South Upper, right behind the goal, with my teenage son, my cousin. and his two sons. Great view and great seasons to.enjoy it, including the league 2 playoff winning year followed by the league one win and the "one team in Essex" pitch invasion, then the year in the Championship, Freddy v Man Utd, etc. Happy days....

Seem to remember Leon Clarke scoring a really great goal. Can't remember who against, but was at home

Back