• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
After arriving late to the game (again!) we missed the first five minutes but not, it seemed from the atmosphere, a great deal. The game was trudging along with a few half chances before Wayne Gray picked up a tidy crossed pass from Eastwood and superbly opened up space before lashing the ball home to the keeper's right. So far from the Wayne Gray of the beginning of the season, it was untrue

As if this wasn't evidence enough, Gray then picked up a through ball, Eastwood again the provider and once behind the defence, it was clear he would hold them off. Again, the finish was emphatic and, agaain, low to the keeper's right hand side. In all honesty, after the first goal, the match seemed to have an aura of inevitability to it but the second goal is something we often fail to get and with the goal difference in mind, it was a huge relief.

The second half was amazingly short of any real action or urgency from either side except, seemingly for Eastwood, Gray and Duncan Jupp who still endeavoured for a third. And so it was, Freddy Eastwood, after someone doing something while I wasn't watching to tee him up with a volley from the edge of the box (according to PA, of course!) which he duly dispatched in to the keeper's bottom left hand corner. Great strike.

If there was a lack of urgency at 2-0, it was amplified at 3-0 and the match seemed to fly by with only a couple of late chances for Cheltenham, one nicely tipped over by Darryl, representing any sort of genuine threat from them.

Darryl: Hardly had anything to do til the end and he was up to the task. Given 7 because six would suggest he was average. This is not the case, everything he had to do, he did well. 7

Jupp: Good solid performance. Dealt with everything they sent down the left comfortably and got forward without doing it recklessly. 7

Wilson: Excellent performance. Almost seems like he learns a new 'basic' every week and then demonstrates how well he can do it. Looked much more assured than I've ever seen him before. Apparently, Devaney's quite good but he barely got a whisper. Time to put those Cardiff demons to rest. 8

Prior: Generally solid but rarely had to deal with Odejayi who looked like the only real threat. Couple of Spinner moments to keep my Leicester buddy entertained but generally good. Looked to be struggling a bit with the pace of the game even though it was quite tepid. 7

Barrett: Battled manfully against Odejayi but struggled to contain him as is ususally the case with Barrett. Still, Odejayi managed very little with the ball and standing off seems to have been correct. Good performance. 8

McCormack: Have to say I've never seen us play so well without Maher before and this young lad was in no small part responsible. Played like a version of Maher with a better touch. Impressed with what I've seen so far. 8

Pettefer: Usual workrate made it difficult for the opposition although it was difficult to see anything going down the right if it wasn't fired in to Gray/Eastwood's feet. 7

Bentley: Considerably better than last time I saw him. This was Bentley getting back to his buccaneering best. Only thing missing now seems to be the goals. Excellent midfield partnership made the Cheltenham pairing almost anonymous. 8

Gower: Not vintage Gower but still a solid performance. Constantly probing the Cheltenham defence for openings and looked likely to threaten without proving terribly dangerous. The touch was definitely back today and seems he may come in to form at just the right time. 7

Gray: Not sure why he is a target man but he somehow manages to outmuscle and outbattle much larger opponents. Workrate excellent. Link-up with Freddy excellent. Two finishes sublime. Just the goal celebrations to work on but on that basis, he'll have more practice. MOTM. 9

Eastwood: Probably the best performance I've seen from Freddy. Looked really keen today and worked almost as tirelessly as Gray. People have said about him complaining to the ref sometimes when he shouldn't. Think I agree but I think he needs to be smarter. The ones he claims are usually fouls but Eastwood probably should be more professional and tumble if fouled. Not dive though and certianly don't ask Juppy after his shocker inthe 2nd half! Still, two excellent passes for Gray's goals and a beautiful finish for the third. Can't argue with that. 9

- Cheltenham were very poor after the first goal went in. Whether it was mid-table syndrome (it looked familiar), the poor form or the morgue like atmosphere at times, they really didn't impress. I'd love three or four more games (ideally all!) like this to take 9/12 easy points from.
- So much fun supporting open terrace in the sun. How football should be watched, I feel.
- Why did Cheltenham have diving boards on top of the UCAS (
mad.gif
) stand?
- Good turnout from the Shrimpers considering the length of the journey and pretty good noise throughout. Then again, it's easy to support when the team's doing well.
- Tes Is God (TIG) : Back the cat

- If I was ST, I'd have thrown on Blewitt and Guttridge as soon as we went three nil. The team seemed to lack any impetus after the third and needed an injection of life. Guttridge looked decent with what he got and there really wasn't time for Blewitt to make any impact.

Great day today, thorougholy enjoyed the day except the fracas with the police after the first goal. Way over the top.

Not at our vert best but didn't need to be. We controlled the game and always looked liked winning, one of our easiest wins of the season. Cheltenham played some decent football in the first half but only had 1 or 2 real chances and never looked liked getting a point.

Freddy was brilliant again, great goal and set up the other 2 well. Gray took his goals well but to be honest they were are best chances apart from Bentley's header. We took our chances and deserved to win. McCormack had a very good debut I thought, looked good on the ball and his passing was excellent. Guttridge showed a few nice touches when he came on, Spencer won everything at the back and all the back 4 were solid.

Great away support again, 14 games unbeaten and only 4 points off the top!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canada shrimper @ Mar. 19 2005,23:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ Mar. 19 2005,22:36)]Great day today, thorougholy enjoyed the day except the fracas with the police after the first goal. Way over the top.
What happened???
A few of your old friends were involved ...

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Mar. 19 2005,21:49)]Wilson:  Excellent performance.  Almost seems like he learns a new 'basic' every week and then demonstrates how well he can do it.  Looked much more assured than I've ever seen him before.  Apparently, Devaney's quite good but he barely got a whisper.  Time to put those Cardiff demons to rest. 8
In which case I look forward to him learning how to do the basic thing of passing the ball to a team-mate. If he can learn to retain possession we will be a much better defensive outfit.

Whilst he has improved dramatically, he remains a very limited footballer and is clearly the weakest link in our first choice XI.

I thought Che was very good yesterday, showed a lot of comittment and made some superb tackles against Martin Devaney who's a decent winger.

I didnt notice Devany at all today. maybe it was the poor view from the away terrace, but I think Che must have been doing something right to shut out Devany.

My ratings:

Flahavan: 7, did what he had to well, claimed a few long balls into the box and made a few good saves at the end.

Wilson: 7, as above, shut down Devany well and had a solid game.
Barrett: 8, assured performance at the back, I have never seen him have a bad game, long my this continue!
Prior: 8, as with Barrett, let little past him. Solid in defense.
Jupp: 7, quality of crossing wasnt that good IMO, but when called upon he defended well. I think this could be a similar situation to Gray earlier this season, a spell out of the side has rwally boosted his performance.

Gower: 7, looked dangerous and it seemed that something would happen every time he got the ball.
Bentley: 7, all over the place in this game clsing down the opposition.
McCormick: 7, looked good in place of Maher. Used the ball well and won his share of challenges from what I saw.
Pettefer: 6.5, not spectacular, helped Jupp at the back when needed but offered very little going forward.

Grey: 9 MOTM, Worked really hard and scored two very well taken goals. Also set up Eastwood for the third and battled away against the Cheltenham defenders.
Eastwood: 8, lots of hard work and good play to set up Gray twice. A good finsih from the edge of the box to make it 6 goals in 6 matches.

Subs:
Dudfield - Worked hard but I couldnt see any major impact on the game.
Guttridge - Had a few good touches and looks a useful player, didnt have long enough really to make an impact.
Blewitt - Hardly had long enough to get his boots dirty!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ Mar. 19 2005,22:11)]Very good summary
Well, it's no fbm views and ratings but I try my best

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Whilst he has improved dramatically, he remains a very limited footballer and is clearly the weakest link in our first choice XI

I completely disagree after the improvement in his performances. Perhaps you didn't notice, but Prior is hardly the most accurate of passers and Barrett's distribution was also well off the mark yesterday. At this level, what you need is defenders who can defend and if they can do anything else, it's a bonus.

Besides, I didn't actually think Che's distribution was too bad yesterday.

Oh, and I loved the fact that some guy had a shirt with loads of pictures of Che against each other (Guavara, sadly but the sentiment was there!!)

One more thing I forgot to add. Good to see some invention on the free kick where Gower played it low in to Gray who flicked it back to Eastwood. Admittedly, it didn't completely come off but fair play for trying! Not sure I remember seeing a lot of inventive freekicks in my time as a Southend fan!

Watched the (admittedly limited) highlights on football league review (when's london soccer night?) and loved the first Gray goal.

Voiceover: "...lovely first touch by Gray meant that Freddy Eastwood's pass didn't go to waste..."

My description: "Eastwood inside to Gray, who takes a touch, pirouettes, falls over, gets back up again, turns the defender, fires low and hard past the keeper. Goal!!"

I'm assuming that little 'routine' wasn't premeditated. If it was, i think Gray's a lot more worthy of godship than Tes. Would love to see that move in the next FIFA game
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Back