• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Fickle Football Fans

Kent Shrimper

Mike Reid
It amazes me just how fickle football fans are, don't get me wrong im probably just as bad. However since Sunday i cannot believe how people are reacting to Ron's latest episode.

Ron has used and abused, Staff, Players, Sponsors, Suppliers, Fans and the last straw our Legend of a Manager. Sunday seemed to be the turning point, one where everyone rose up and said enough is enough!!!

Come Monday and the sniff of a new manager and a few signings and everyone is positive and defending Ron. Can i just outline 1 point, nothing has actually changed, staff are still being treated like ****, we still aren't paying our bills, the embargo hasn't been lifted. It doesnt matter how much you say there is a positive vibe from the club, it doesn't make it true.

I conversed with Ron on Sunday via text as i have done when things have been good and bad, and up until Sunday i have defended him to his detractors. However after Sundays communication and the way he tramples on everyone in his goal to get what he wants im afraid i dont think i can trust the man again. Some may say what do i know, as well as these occasional chats, i have also done business with him. I wont go into that episode but it took a while to rectify.

Yes Ron may be having Cash flow problems, and no we don't know what goes on at the club, However as i explained to Ron on Sunday, whats the point of having a video blog where the questions are written by your media manager? How are we supposed to know anymore when all we are told is spin. Trouble is, he seems to have hooked a good few of you and now its all sweetness and light, I just hope non of you ever get treated the way the staff, players, sponsors, suppliers and tilly have!!!

Come tomorrow Sainsburys will probably bail us out, we probably will pay the PFA, We probably will sign players and that's great for Southend United, However whats not so great is the way in which Ron has and i think will continue to go about his business with total disregard to anyone but himself. He tried telling me that he "cares more than any other supporter" and that he wont let "the on the field failings of the past 2 years" repeat themselves. Not once did he put his hands up and say "you know what, i ****ed up". Im not sure he could of been more patronising if he tried!!

But don't worry everyone because there is a lovely positive vibe on the Zone.....

Here! Here! Andy ..exactly my thoughts and I believe you stole some of my word's to mate ;)

It amazes me just how fickle football fans are, don't get me wrong im probably just as bad. However since Sunday i cannot believe how people are reacting to Ron's latest episode.

Ron has used and abused, Staff, Players, Sponsors, Suppliers, Fans and the last straw our Legend of a Manager. Sunday seemed to be the turning point, one where everyone rose up and said enough is enough!!!

Come Monday and the sniff of a new manager and a few signings and everyone is positive and defending Ron. Can i just outline 1 point, nothing has actually changed, staff are still being treated like ****, we still aren't paying our bills, the embargo hasn't been lifted. It doesnt matter how much you say there is a positive vibe from the club, it doesn't make it true.

I conversed with Ron on Sunday via text as i have done when things have been good and bad, and up until Sunday i have defended him to his detractors. However after Sundays communication and the way he tramples on everyone in his goal to get what he wants im afraid i dont think i can trust the man again. Some may say what do i know, as well as these occasional chats, i have also done business with him. I wont go into that episode but it took a while to rectify.

Yes Ron may be having Cash flow problems, and no we don't know what goes on at the club, However as i explained to Ron on Sunday, whats the point of having a video blog where the questions are written by your media manager? How are we supposed to know anymore when all we are told is spin. Trouble is, he seems to have hooked a good few of you and now its all sweetness and light, I just hope non of you ever get treated the way the staff, players, sponsors, suppliers and tilly have!!!

Come tomorrow Sainsburys will probably bail us out, we probably will pay the PFA, We probably will sign players and that's great for Southend United, However whats not so great is the way in which Ron has and i think will continue to go about his business with total disregard to anyone but himself. He tried telling me that he "cares more than any other supporter" and that he wont let "the on the field failings of the past 2 years" repeat themselves. Not once did he put his hands up and say "you know what, i ****ed up". Im not sure he could of been more patronising if he tried!!

But don't worry everyone because there is a lovely positive vibe on the Zone.....

Everyone is positive, because, we just named Sturrock ( a proven manager ) as our manager, and then starting to be being linked with players again, really good news from the training ground, Akinfenwa for a start is being linked with us.

Just because people are positive about the football side of things doesn't make everybody forgive Ron.

Everyone is positive, because, we just named Sturrock ( a proven manager ) as our manager, and then starting to be being linked with players again, really good news from the training ground, Akinfenwa for a start is being linked with us.

Just because people are positive about the football side of things doesn't make everybody forgive Ron.

Dave i hear you, however whilst everyone is raving about sturrock and the players who is actually questioning the Chairman? To me it seems for some that its easier to bury the way Ron has acted because there is a glimmer of hope.

How many bits of news have we had recently to get even slightly positive about? 2010 has been a shocking year for this football club. If people want to stop feeling angry and upset for a few hours then let them. Once we go into Administration tomorrow and Sturrock walks away taking his potential signings with him it'll be business as usual around here.

Dave i hear you, however whilst everyone is raving about sturrock and the players who is actually questioning the Chairman? To me it seems for some that its easier to bury the way Ron has acted because there is a glimmer of hope.

I see what you mean. But people are trying to concentrate on something good.
Don't get me wrong I really do hate Ron boy Martin, the same amount as anyone if not more.
The way he has treated everything, it all adds up. Nobody is denying that. We love Tilson.

But somehow the appointement of the new manager has brought around this buzz, and there is a real buzz, players starting to be linked with us. I have said from the start when every player had been treated awfully etc.. that when the embargo is sorted and HMRC etc, everything will be announced at once, now I do not blame Ron for this.
Tomorrow we will lift the embargo, pay our debts, Sturrock and Tommy will sign their contracts, we will sign 5 - 10 players, arrange 2 new attractive friendlies, Spencer will put pen to paper, Francis will named as club captain, and Moussa will sign an extension.
It will cover how much of a slimey toad Ron Martin is, but the fact is that him being slippery is going to get us into the new stadium, I do not trust him, but I still remain level headed. Sure a consortium multi million takeover could be great. But Ron is here, he will stay here, he hasn't got to this stage by being a nice guy and inviting everybody around to his mansion to play with his toy train set, smoke cigars and eat cucumber sandwiches and all washed down with a drop of Sherry. He has got here, and been (semi) successful. He has blagged some parts of his business career, but that is truly a gift. He has been a ******* but aslong as our football club survives then I can remain half calm. Everybody realises now how much of a **** the man is. Somehow he manages things, and most of the time, we pull through, now seriously I'm up for being pulled through. We will be competitive next season.

It is never boring to support Southend United.

How many bits of news have we had recently to get even slightly positive about? 2010 has been a shocking year for this football club. If people want to stop feeling angry and upset for a few hours then let them. Once we go into Administration tomorrow and Sturrock walks away taking his potential signings with him it'll be business as usual around here.

That also would not surprise me.

Beefy i dont want there to be negativity, however i do want the Chairman to act and treat people with some respect, i wouldn't treat enemy's the way he does his customers. Not once has he acknowledged the way in which he has gone about things. Admitting faults, errors or mistakes doesn't make you a weak or bad person. However continuing to do it and ignoring it does.

Ron must be enjoying these few days rest, with PS and the potential signings taking the attention away from him. But I don't think you should confuse being optimistic with completely forgetting about our problems. I for one am still angry at Ron for what he's done but if you compare how it's been recently to the recent news it is understandable why the majority are happy on SZ.

Does being slightly more happy than I was make me fickle?

I'm still angry with Ron over the treatment of Tilly, and that resentment will be there for a long time. That said, the way things are looking at the moment he seems to have pulled some financial rabbit out of the hat and as I've said before if he can somehow get us through to Fossetts Farm despite our cashflow shortage and the obvious fact that he's not got a pot to **** in himself then it'll be a truly remarkable achievement on his part.

Tomorrow will be a big day. If he really has got the money then the Court hearing should be a formality. If he's going to chance his arm on spinning the Court another blag then I suspect that it'll be his last day as owner of the club.

Ron must be enjoying these few days rest, with PS and the potential signings taking the attention away from him. But I don't think you should confuse being optimistic with completely forgetting about our problems. I for one am still angry at Ron for what he's done but if you compare how it's been recently to the recent news it is understandable why the majority are happy on SZ.

Being fickle is part of being a football fan, in 5 years time, we are in a new stadium, playing in the championship, im sure i will look back and say so what. However even with the supposed good news i cannot over look the way in which Ron continues to perform, i don't want him to slip under the radar because we are all so desperate for something good at our football club.

in the nature of all football fans to be fickle, going back to 1992 when Dave Webb walked some people including myself said we would never set foot at Roots Hall again but then a certain Stan Collymore came along and we soon realized we were cutting off our noses to spite our faces and we cameback. This time there will be no Stan Collymore type player and things are far worse than they were in 1992 but as fans we cling on to the hope that things will get better.

I'm still angry with Ron over the treatment of Tilly, and that resentment will be there for a long time. That said, the way things are looking at the moment he seems to have pulled some financial rabbit out of the hat and as I've said before if he can somehow get us through to Fossetts Farm despite our cashflow shortage and the obvious fact that he's not got a pot to **** in himself then it'll be a truly remarkable achievement on his part.

Tomorrow will be a big day. If he really has got the money then the Court hearing should be a formality. If he's going to chance his arm on spinning the Court another blag then I suspect that it'll be his last day as owner of the club.

But beefy doesn't that make us all as bad as him, isn't it saying its ok to treat people like **** as long as the end game is achieved?

Being fickle is part of being a football fan, in 5 years time, we are in a new stadium, playing in the championship, im sure i will look back and say so what. However even with the supposed good news i cannot over look the way in which Ron continues to perform, i don't want him to slip under the radar because we are all so desperate for something good at our football club.

Put it this way KS that bloody man will never do the lap of honour again,he wouldn't make the N/E corner.

I agree, I think shrimpers fans have had so much bad news that ANYTHING positive comes as a great relief. It does not however mean we have forgotten Ron's dealings, nor should we, and, I don't suppose they are over yet. Nothing surprises me at Southend United, and until Paul Sturrock has signed a conract, and these poised to sign players are actually signed, and we pay them and honour their contracts, then we can say something positive is happening.

Yesterday I heard some shocking things about basic things the club could not afford and local traders refusing them any more credit. Can't give more detailed account as it may get the person at the club in trouble. (Not Scriven).

There is still disgraceful news coming out almost every day.
Ron won't talk to the Trust about 60K owed.
People laid off with no notice and owed money.
Club ignoring the fans over the £80 refund for season tickets.

That's just a few things.
So the club is still upsetting people all the time and being run very unprofessionally.

But we've spent nearly every day over the last year or so harping on about the negatives. At the moment some of us would for a nice change, would also like to go on about the rare positives.
If you read my posts or replies, I am going on about both. I'm very happy with Paul Sturrock's start, it could hardly be better. I'm happy with potential new signings, especially Akinfenwa, what a coup that would be.

But I'm still unhappy with the treatment of Tilly. I am extremely unhappy with Ron Martin and I think the way the club is run is an absolute joke.

Last edited:
But beefy doesn't that make us all as bad as him, isn't it saying its ok to treat people like **** as long as the end game is achieved?

I guess sometimes in business when you're fighting for your life maybe it is. It's not like the Club is running brilliantly, turning profits and yet he's still refusing to pay some people and is sacking others with no warning. On a personal level it's **** what happened to Tilson and to the players last season, and it's terrible that people are being made redundant behind the scenes now but if the money wasn'tthere then what alternative was there? If the Administrators come in tomorrow they'll treat people like **** too and without wanting to turn this into some anti-Consortium rant, had Rubin & Co been running the Club now then they'd have been looking to be as ruthless as possible to get costs down.

Ron won't be going on any walks around the pitch any time soon. He must know how unpopular he is right now.

Back