• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Film Director calls Southend "...a grotty third world Vegas..."

Heathrow Express to Paddington 15 mins, Paddington to Liv St 20 mins. It takes an age just to walk between Piccadilly and Central lines at Holborn the prospect of which, with a suitcase, laptop bag and duty free goody bag didn't appeal much to me at 530am this morning . The tube journey from Heathrow to Holborn also takes an eternity. I'll take the extra 15 pounds for the comfort (and if things run smoothly) massive time saving thanks

In reality it takes nearly twice that time, as you found out, which is what makes it often quicker to do by tube where services are more frequent on both lines.

Remember this? The director calling Southend a third world las vegas I've found his twitter trawling through the interweb @davidlghughes I really do hope this film is a flop just for the needless description of our home, our town.

I can see where the bloke is coming from. Take a look at Vic Ave Roundabout, it's a nightmare at the best of time, the High treet is full of empty or closing down shops and trust me when Sainsburys move it wil be the end of the high street.
The seafront is a joke with traffic crawling at 20mph and regular speed cameras along western esplanade making the seafront into a cash cow for the police. Battered and dead pine trees line the esplanade going into Thorpe Bay where the main eyesore is a derelict office building.
Victoria Avenue has more derelict office buildings, while the junction of Southchurch Rd and Chichester corner must be the most depressing area due to the inhabitants that loiter here.
Infact travelling by car to Southend means long delays at Sadlers or umpteen speed cameras on the A127.

On Rotten Tomatoes too, gets 14% though bizarrely the Observer critic like it :stunned:

There are eight brutal murders, and this must be the first movie in which a gangster's moll likes to have sex with two men on the same day because she likes to feel the different sperms doing battle inside her. :stunned:

I can see where the bloke is coming from. Take a look at Vic Ave Roundabout, it's a nightmare at the best of time, the High treet is full of empty or closing down shops and trust me when Sainsburys move it wil be the end of the high street.
The seafront is a joke with traffic crawling at 20mph and regular speed cameras along western esplanade making the seafront into a cash cow for the police. Battered and dead pine trees line the esplanade going into Thorpe Bay where the main eyesore is a derelict office building.
Victoria Avenue has more derelict office buildings, while the junction of Southchurch Rd and Chichester corner must be the most depressing area due to the inhabitants that loiter here.
Infact travelling by car to Southend means long delays at Sadlers or umpteen speed cameras on the A127.

I'm a long term exile but still frequent visitor to Southend and I can only say again what I've said before whenever this subject comes up - there are many far worse places in the UK. Though as an exile when I say I am from Southend I am really referring to the whole area from Leigh-on-Sea to Shoeburyness. Southend's poor reputation often seems to be based on singling out certain parts of the town area of Southend that have seen better times. Just about very place in the UK has those sort of areas and in some places make up a much greater proportion of the whole area than they do in the borough of Southend.

Why will sainsburys move have any effect on Southend High Street !?!

High Streets arent what they used to be anyway but see no bearing on a supermarket moving away from it. People either want to go high street shopping, or do their weekly shop. I dont normally think, right Ive got my 8 bags of shopping, think Ill pop down to WH Smiths now !

Southend is in regeneration, the Vic Ave roundabout is no longer there and been revamped, the high Street has been done up over the last 5 years (ok there are empty shops but theres a recession, its the same everywhere) and so has the seafront.

Yes its a shame there are speed restrictions at the seafront which stop boyracers tearing up and down at 60mph and allow families to actually go there, but thats something we will have to live with.

Warrior Square has been totally refurbished, so the tramps have a nicer park to hang out in.

Youve also got the University etc which is a massive boost to the town.

Compare it to a similar Seaside town like Margate and you will find it hard to say Southend is the 3rd world slime pit. Southend isnt perfect, Vic Avenue needs pulling down and Id still not take the kids down the high street on a saturday night for example, but its a lot better than it was 10-20 years ago.

Compare it to a similar Seaside town like Margate and you will find it hard to say Southend is the 3rd world slime pit. Southend isnt perfect, Vic Avenue needs pulling down and Id still not take the kids down the high street on a saturday night for example, but its a lot better than it was 10-20 years ago.

Margate probably not the best example. Tracy Emin has brought a lot of business into the area.

Margate probably not the best example. Tracy Emin has brought a lot of business into the area.

Margate is indeed on the up and will get better as they have a lot of development planned but was down there last summer and it was the perfect example of a dead seaside town. Most of the seafront was closed, which is a shame as it has a great beach.

Back