• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Film of the summer: Indy vs Batman

Simple Indy or Batman

• Total voters

seany t

President
So what do people reckon? I think the big hit of the summer will be one of these two what with Iron Man & Speed Racer already out and Potter 6 / Bond not now out until Autumn / Winter.

Here is the last trailer for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull before it hits the screens in a fortnight:
http://www.indianajones.com/site/index.html

Likewise, the new Batman flick The Dark Knight gets its first proper length trailer here:
http://www.whysoserious.com/happytrails/trailer.htm

Personally I can't wait for both, but having these recent reruns of Indy on BBC has made me dampen my expectations a bit thankfully as they were in danger of exploding. I was concerned from the previous trailer that it all looked a bit CGI heavy and stupid, but after watching the older films they've always been like that haven't they? So that should be great fun. Early reviews suggest its not the best one (was it ever going to be?) but well worth a watch.

Elsewhere, the film company behind Batman have shocked me by actually making an adult Batman flick. From this trailer and the sneak peek photos released, it's going to very, very dark and probably a 15 / 18. It also looks highly accurate to the source material it's lifted from. I'm still stunned they haven't called it Batman 2 as well...

So all in all, should be a good couple of heavyweight summer blockbusters for the first time in years.

I can't wait to see either, just wondering if Harrisson Ford is a bit too old for Indy these days?

Batman should always been dark & adult. The graphic novels from Alan Moore & Frank Miller were head and shoulders above the travesty of 1960's camp nonsense, and more akin to the character that Bob Kane created in the depression ridden 1930's.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see either, just wondering if Harrisson Ford is a bit too old for Indy these days?

Batman should always been dark & adult. The graphic novels from Alan Moore & Frank Miller were head and shoulders above the travesty of 1960's camp nonsense, and more akin to the character that Bob Kane created in the depression ridden 1930's.

Agreed on both, but the initial trailer for Indy did a good job of referencing his age early on and tweaking the formula a bit. Just hope Shia LeBeouf doesn't end up another Shortround.

As for Batman, as a massive fan I'm even more excited about this one. The film looks to follow the plot of The Long Halloween really closely, which is for me the definitive comic book barring Batman: Year One (which Begins was based on). I don't actually like comics / graphic novels except when it comes to Batman, and it really looks like Nolan and his team have nailed the characters and mood. If he can improve his action sequences too, this won't just be the best comic book flick ever, but also a strong contender for film of the year...

I don't actually like comics / graphic novels except when it comes to Batman

Off track here mate, but have you read V for Vendetta (far better than the film), Watchmen or Maus? They are outstanding.

Last edited:
Off track here mate, but have you read V for Vendetta (far better than the film), Watchmen or Maus? They are outstanding.

I've not no. But I've been intrigued by the Watchmen film set reports. Sounds great. Think I should investigate further...

Anything Morgan Freeman is in rules...so Dark night for me ..:)

*Poll Added*

Watched Temple of Doom last night for the umpteenth time...cracking 2 hours..

Never noticed till last night, at the end of the opening scene in the bar/club, as they escape, Lao runs out of the club to chase them and the name of the club is seen for a couple of seconds...

Obi Wan Club

Classic being as though Lucas and Spielberg were involved....

So the day has come. Critically, the reviews have been warm. 4/5 from Empire, Telegraph, Rotten Tomatoes etc.

But I know of several people that have seen it today. One refused to talk about it saying something along the lines of "It's another Phantom menace. Only worse cos I love the character more" with another refusing to ever acknowledge it's existence.

I'm scared...

I know reviews have been mixed....Kermode is the only man I trust and I'll find out what he's got to say tomorrow.

I'm seeing Indy tomorrow and can't wait.

ps Phantom Menace was fine. If you take away the annoying Jar Jar it was a good well-made film

The CGI issue will be huge if the TV spots are anything to go by. The river scene looks really... un-Indy? Spielberg has promised to do lots of the effects in camera and old school, but the trailer suggest that he told a porky with that one.

We'll see. There's a great feature over on Empire's blog actually about CGI and why it can ruin a film so much. I think personally, it's because its got so awkwardly close to real life now, but you know it isn't. In the Last Crusade, you just ignored it because it looked so bad. But in Spiderman 3 you can't, because it's so annoyingly close to being realistic but a bit too cartoony. I guess thats why Bond has moved away from it again in recent years (thank God). Anyway, it's here if you want a good read:

http://www.empireonline.com/empireblog/Post.asp?id=124

Ill go for Indy . Now thats odd about the CGI in Indy ??? I read theres very little in there (much to teh distain of George Lucas who wanted a good deal ). Stunts effects etc are all primarily "real" (well the odd blue scrren)

Back