• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films that you have seen that you felt were totally overated

Being as it was made 96 years ago, a silent film and in black and white of course The General is outdated by today’s standards. Btw, it’s not meant to be a rip-roaring comedy….or did you not realise….
Well one guy in the audience kept laughing---I kid you not.
It was painful to hear him.
I have no idea why I did not leave!

Sorry how on earth you can say The Last Picture Show is " boring" I really don't know.One thing I would perhaps agree with you about is that a lot depends on your age when you first saw the film (although you don't actually mention this).I first saw TLPS when in first came out (in 1973 IRRC) -I've seen it many times since on DVD..Back in 73 I was a student so not much older than many of the film's young cast.The book on which it's based by Larry Mcmurtry is also gives an excellent coming of age description of young kids in a small Texas town.Also who can forget Sam the Lion?

We had better agree that we have a difference of opinion.

Driving Miss Daisy….dire
Forrest Gump…….much preferred the (earlier) Being There with Peter Sellers

Anything with Steven Seagal or J-C Van Damme…..

Armageddon and Titanic spring ingloriously to mind, maybe I was in an inventive mood but did Armageddon actually have engine screeches in tight turns of the shuttles and I swear down bro, I heard tyre noises too.

We had better agree that we have a difference of opinion.
That certainly but just as everyone could make their own list a la Woody Allen of things worth living for
(I notice Swedish movies were on his) then *pretty much everyone could make their own list of films they thought were over-rated or just didn't like ie It's a very personal thing.

* Remember (as Yeats said) "Tread softly for you tread on my dreams."

Last edited:
Well one guy in the audience kept laughing---I kid you not.
It was painful to hear him.
I have no idea why I did not leave!
Generally I'm not much of a fan of silent movies including Keaton's & Chaplin 's but I recognise that times have moved on since they were made.

Edit:Are there any silent or foreign fìlms that you actually like?

Last edited:
Generally I'm not much of a fan of silent movies including Keaton's & Chaplin 's but I recognise that times have moved on since they were made.

Edit:Are there any silent or foreign fìlms that you actually like?
"Les Diabolique" is totally amazing---Hitchcock missed out on this film by 30 minutes.
"Four Hundred Blows"
German new version "All Quiet On The Western Front"
Some of Bergman's films.
Lots of Hollywood films (well you did say foreign lol)

Silent Laurel and Hardy selling Christmas trees in the summer.

I am not a Chaplin fan but I enjoyed the bio pic.
The Laurel and Hardy bio pic was also very good.

Last edited:
Withnail and I.

Not helped by having to suffer Richard E Grant.
On the contrary it's a wonderful film which I still watch fairly regularly on DVD.When It first came out here in Barna I saw a couple of colleagues in the queue for the next session .One of them a Sherman was the only person I've come across (until you) who didn't like the film.At the time I put it down to her nationality .Now I'm not so sure. :Winking:

On the contrary it's a wonderful film which I still watch fairly regularly on DVD.When It first came out here in Barna I saw a couple of colleagues in the queue for the next session .One of them a Sherman was the only person I've come across (until you) who didn't like the film.At the time I put it down to her nationality .Now I'm not so sure. :Winking:
But we all have differences of opinion...........Just look at what the film lecturers love....German expressionism films.......No thank you I say!!!!!!! (God help me from such dated comedy lol)

You do fit my profile as fan of that film....How many times they have watched it can tell a lot. Don't worry other films also tell a story about different groups

I doubt you spend much time with those that switched it off half way through their first watch.

You do fit my profile as fan of that film....How many times they have watched it can tell a lot. Don't worry other films also tell a story about different groups

I doubt you spend much time with those that switched it off half way through their first watch.
As Chuck Berry once sang "You Never Can Tell"

1.You do fit my profile as fan of that film....How many times they have watched it can tell a lot. Don't worry other films also tell a story about different groups

2.I doubt you spend much time with those that switched it off half way through their first watch.
1.There used to be a cult for quoting lines from the film.Never been part of a group like that..Seen the same thing with Pulp Fiction.Thought that was rather sad too.

2.Certainly hope not. :Winking:

Back