• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Kajaki, its on Netflix.

Based on a true story about one incident involving 3 Para in Afghanistan. Its the opposite to the Dam Busters or Reach For the Sky and is a great example of why we our troops should never be in such places.

Relevant at the moment as it highlights how people at the sharp end are completely failed by management and above when it comes to the right equipment and decisions....Decisions that cost lives.

Brilliant film, such a shame it doesn’t get the attention that other conflict films get.

Controversial opinion: I think it’s better than 1917 and Dunkirk, I know they’re different eras but they’re still classified in the true war film category.

I probably have more of a connection with it as I have been to Afghanistan and spent 7 months out there.

Dunkirk - the original,..... close to how it was.

Carve Her name with Pride - brace your self for the ending

The Cruel Sea - the classic scene of cowardice in the opening

Paul Scrader ... the best screen writer...ever

Taxi driver

American Gigolo

forever an Apocalypse Now fan ..

Natural Born Killers

The Godfather

Great film seen it a could of times. The kind of war Film the Americans can’t make
Made me research the story on line

Brilliant film, such a shame it doesn’t get the attention that other conflict films get.

Controversial opinion: I think it’s better than 1917 and Dunkirk, I know they’re different eras but they’re still classified in the true war film category.

I probably have more of a connection with it as I have been to Afghanistan and spent 7 months out there.

Not sure the 'banter' would be understood in the US.

Yes, its worth doing some research on the story but not before the film as it would spoil it because the tension builds without big dramatic scenes.

Saw Clockwise again last night .Suprised to learn. that the DVD re-issue was only last year.Still a great comedy.Always liked Michael Frayn's work .Worth it just for that immortal line"It's not the despair I can't stand Laura.It's the hope."

One of my favourite films. I love the gangster based first part of the film. I suspect there were cuts - the film implies that there was previous between Chas and Joey Maddocks without going into too much detail.

The film was certainly heavily edited by Cammill rather than Roeg who went off to shoot Walkabout.Witness the scene where Turner ( Mick Jagger) spray paints a wall in his Notting Hill house.It was found and brought forward to near the beginning of the film to provide a (rather spurious) "link" between the first and second parts you mention.

A real life film that details how we ended up in the Iraq and Afghanistan mess and leaves you with no trust of government and the legal profession is OFFICIAL SECRETS . Interspersed with real clips of Blair,Bush etc it really leaves you with the sense of how we were taken to war against the wishes of the people and manipulated evidence ,which one woman tried to stop and paid a price for because of the official secrets act.
I saw this film by chance and it really took you back to 2003 and how we've been left with a mess and a destabilised world by politicians who should be in jail for causing so many unnecessary deaths of our military and the hundreds of thousands of ordinary civilians since.

A real life film that details how we ended up in the Iraq and Afghanistan mess and leaves you with no trust of government and the legal profession is OFFICIAL SECRETS . Interspersed with real clips of Blair,Bush etc it really leaves you with the sense of how we were taken to war against the wishes of the people and manipulated evidence ,which one woman tried to stop and paid a price for because of the official secrets act.
I saw this film by chance and it really took you back to 2003 and how we've been left with a mess and a destabilised world by politicians who should be in jail for causing so many unnecessary deaths of our military and the hundreds of thousands of ordinary civilians since.

Thank you, I had that on my list for ages and completely forgot to get around to watching it. I’ll give that a watch.

Just watched a film called vivarium. Strangest film I have seen in a very long time.

5 out 10. Could be a cult one if you like oddities.

The Man with the Iron Heart on Sky movies

Poweful Czech film about the assassination of a top Nazi Reinhard Heydrich

10/10 very moving especially as kept to the truth 99 %

Kursk : the last mission - 8/10 touching no spoilers but gripping.

My wife and I have put a list of 6 films on a bit of paper, 3 each, and when we have a film night, we drawer one out and have both agreed to watch if it is our choice. This was the first one and she said she was totally absorbed even though it wasn't a film she would have chosen.
Obviously this was first one out.

The others:

Rush, The Great escape

Playing for Time, Get On Up, The Kominsky Method

whoever recccomended KAJAKI ..

Thank you very much. Not easy but a proper watch ...

And dear Shrimpers a bit of a day for me as my book is coming out .. indie press etc
but if you are interested here it is ...

I am not sensitive so rip the **** or post a slagging onn Amazon ;-)

but enjoy .. it might make you think ..

1585659912022.png

Back