• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Is there a battle rap scene in Southend?

We should stick to what we are good at, third rate gangster film loosely based on the Essex Boys firm.

No idea mate, you're a bit closer to me to investigate. Looks like a British 8 Mile (which I've not seen either).

Icebreaker, a Russian film about a ship stuck in, er, ice. Unbelieveably bad, they should stick to poisoning and hacking.

Looks like the biggest load of ****! Couldn’t think of anything worse. And no I haven’t seen 8 mile and never will.

Why? It looks like a decent film. Rap & grime are hardly my culture either but I wouldn't write it off because of that.

Why? It looks like a decent film. Rap & grime are hardly my culture either but I wouldn't write it off because of that.

That’s exactly the reason to write it off. Don’t encourage that cRAP.

Absolutely not, Elvis was a true musician.

I do love a bit of Elvis, but a true artist? Not sure about that, when most of his songs were originally sung by black American artists who never got the credit. Big Mama Thorton's rendition of Hound Dog is substantially better (IMHO) that Elvis' but she's been virtually airbrushed from history.

Absolutely not, Elvis was a true musician.
He didn't single-handedly write any of his songs. He has a few co-writing credits. He was supported by a team of song-writers and producers, just like many pop stars.

This isn't to take away from his impact as an artist and cultural icon, but your whole take about hip-hop is flawed. If you don't like it, fine.

I do love a bit of Elvis, but a true artist? Not sure about that, when most of his songs were originally sung by black American artists who never got the credit. Big Mama Thorton's rendition of Hound Dog is substantially better (IMHO) that Elvis' but she's been virtually airbrushed from history.
Agreed. Let's face it, by the end he was nothing but a chicken-in-a-basket cabaret entertainer - a very good one I'll give you that, but a true musician? Absolutely not. Can't deny his influence though, even if he did steal all his best chops.

Back