• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

He didn't single-handedly write any of his songs. He has a few co-writing credits. He was supported by a team of song-writers and producers, just like many pop stars.

This isn't to take away from his impact as an artist and cultural icon, but your whole take about hip-hop is flawed. If you don't like it, fine.
Agreed. Let's face it, by the end he was nothing but a chicken-in-a-basket cabaret entertainer - a very good one I'll give you that, but a true musician? Absolutely not. Can't deny his influence though, even if he did steal all his best chops.

Guys,guys.Remember as John Lennon said:"Before Elvis there was nothing." As far as rock and roll is concerned, JL was quite right.

Last edited:
Halloween. Sort of press ganged into seeing this but it was the wife's birthday treat so what can you do.

Well, it was pretty terrible but Jamie Lee Curtis sort of gave it some life. A couple of my sort of humour lines but other than that, not worth the money.

A very generous 3/10 and that's only because the wife enjoyed her night out.

Guys,guys.Remember as John Lennon said:"Before Elvis there was nothing." As far as rock and roll is concerned, JL was quite right.
Not true
http://content.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,661084,00.html

In 1951, Ike Turner walked into Sam Phillips' studio in Memphis, Tenn. and, along with his band, helped create a sound that still echoes through history like thunder across the sky. The original song they recorded, Rocket 88, may well have been the first rock 'n' roll record, and in the years that followed, innumerable music reference sources, from The New Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll ("frequently cited as the first rock & roll record") to the website of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum ("widely considered the first rock and roll record"), have backed up that title.
But that's not what some folks think in Memphis. This month the city is celebrating what officials bill as the "50th Anniversary of Rock 'n' Roll," pegging it not to Rocket 88 but to one made three years later: Elvis Presley's July 5th, 1954 recording of That's All Right, a cover of a song previously released by its composer, bluesman Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup, in 1946. This is certainly not all right.

Not true
http://content.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,661084,00.html

In 1951, Ike Turner walked into Sam Phillips' studio in Memphis, Tenn. and, along with his band, helped create a sound that still echoes through history like thunder across the sky. The original song they recorded, Rocket 88, may well have been the first rock 'n' roll record, and in the years that followed, innumerable music reference sources, from The New Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll ("frequently cited as the first rock & roll record") to the website of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum ("widely considered the first rock and roll record"), have backed up that title.
But that's not what some folks think in Memphis. This month the city is celebrating what officials bill as the "50th Anniversary of Rock 'n' Roll," pegging it not to Rocket 88 but to one made three years later: Elvis Presley's July 5th, 1954 recording of That's All Right, a cover of a song previously released by its composer, bluesman Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup, in 1946. This is certainly not all right.

Yeah I've got a copy of Jackie Brenston's Rocket 88 in my record collection (and a bit of Ike Turner's solo stuff too before and after he recorded with Tina). Think you'll find that Lennon was making a general point though about listening to rock & roll as a teenager on Radio Luxembourg.In that sense he was quite right :"Before Elvis there was nothing."

Most people (including myself and I was born in 1951 :Smile2:) had never heard of Rocket 88 until much later.

Last edited:
Absolutely love that film. By far the best war film, Mel Gibson said there was certain stories he had to leave out because they were that crazy no one would’ve believed they’re true.
By the same token ( and I know everyone does it) , Gibson didn’t need to distort facts to pump up an already incredible story ( he didn’t miss his wedding, his father didn’t write to his commanding officer, the cliff was a lot smaller). Agreed it’s a great film though, and an even better true story.

Halloween. Sort of press ganged into seeing this but it was the wife's birthday treat so what can you do.

Well, it was pretty terrible but Jamie Lee Curtis sort of gave it some life. A couple of my sort of humour lines but other than that, not worth the money.

A very generous 3/10 and that's only because the wife enjoyed her night out.

Give a little, get a little.

At least your wife won't complain when you take her to see Scum on Valentines day.

Churchill...The one with Brian Cox. As well as his Scottish brogue the film was rubbish

A Star Is Born. Outstanding 10/10

It should, and hopefully willl sweep the Oscars next year.

July 22nd.....Really good, Paul Greengrass dosen't shy away from the story. Which makes the end points all the better

Back