• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

The Dark Tower - 7/10 - I had been told to avoid this film but I quite enjoyed it. Decent storyline and easy to follow. It wasn’t a gripping classic but it wasn’t a stinker and it has Idris Elba who was excellent as usual.

Yeah I umm'd and ahh'd about watching it but it's actually quite a good film

Mary Poppins Returns - loved it, 8/10 on account of I didn't like Emily Blunt's accent. Lots of nods to the original film, and some great cameos from Dick Van Dyke, Angela Lansbury and Meryl Streep. Wasn't too sure about Colin Firth being the bad guy though!

Absolutely gutted that my daughter's boyfriend missed out on being one of the stunt bike riders because someone forgot to post him out the required paperwork, he'd done all the qualifying stuff for it, been to the studios and then missed the deadline because the paperwork was late - his mate did it and earned £10k!

Venom - 10/10 - Another Great from Marvel! Tom Hardy is excellent and a great blend of humour and action. Interesting storyline and like where they’re going with it and hope they make many more films with Venom in. Very sad seeing Stan Lee with a cameo since he is no longer with us. Marvel films won’t be the same without him!

A must watch!

I liked it, thought it was more like a sci fi film than a "marvel" film. Looks like it's set up for a sequel, was very much a origin story introducing us to the character, or should I say characters!

Aquaman- 6.5/10

The DC stuff just doesn't seem to have the quality of writing the Marvel stuff does (the Christian Bale Batman movies aside). It was OK and watchable with some very nice visuals. Only have a couple more films to watch this year on my Odeon limitless and I can't see them taking the film of the year crown off of Bohemian Rhapsody for me.

Ralph Breaks The Internet. It was good, not sure if it was better than the original. The Disney princesses are probably the best thing in it. Worth a watch. 6/10

Birdbox. Netflix movie with Sandra Bullock, billed as a horror but I liked it despite my aversion to horror flicks, I saw it as a kind of post-apocalyptic thriller with some interesting ideas. 7/10

Spoiler:  
One thing I didn't like about it however was the idea that people with mental illnesses were made to be villains

Mary Poppins Returns. The original was one of my favorite disney movies as a kid, this was a great follow-up and a big hit of nostalgia. Good performances all round, especially Lin Manuel Miranda & Ben Wishaw and the kids, Emily Blunt did as well as anyone could filling Julie Andrews shoes. The songs were good, there a few that stood out to me but none as good as the ordinal's best songs, but i thought not using any of the original songs was pretty ballsy. 8.5/10

BlackKKlansman. Just superb, and the ending showing the real life footage of Trump and those Nazi motherf**kers made me angry. 10/10

Last edited:
The Girl on the Train (2016)
Utter dog**** - turned it off after 30 minutes. 1/10

and

All the Colors of the Dark (Tutti i colori del buio) (1972)
Italian Giallo slasher set in London. A mix of typical Giallo fair with a bit of Satanism and surrealism thrown in. Very stylish, highly enjoyable, an incredible Bruno Nicolai soundtrack, great period locations, and leading lady Edwige Fenech is utterly beguiling. 7/10

Last edited:
The Old Man and The Gun - If this Robert Redford's last film, he's gone out on a high. Hugely entertaining, no swearing or violence, the cops aren't damaged but family men. Top film 9/10

Almost Human (Milano odia: la polizia non può sparare) (1974)
Italian poliziotteschi film about a demented lowlife criminal who hatches a kidnap plan which will set him up for life but he just can't stop killing people and it all goes wrong. A riot from start to finish, very violent but highly enjoyable and the Shameless Blu-ray transfer looks amazing. 7/10

Seoul Station - animated prequel to the stunning Train to Busan. Twas good and proper nihilistic like all the best zombie flicks.

Back