• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

@Benfleet A1 I know this is going way off the film topic but this article is/was a bit of an eye-opener about U.S. volunteers during the early part of WWII - 'specially the bit about being sent to prison if discovered. Seems not everyone agreed with the official American view of being non-interventionist.

https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/2017/01/18/americans-in-the-royal-air-force/

Apologies again for going off topic - delete if necessary :Winking:

A very interesting read. I never knew about the possibility of imprisonment and the rest of it. Thanks for posting that.

If Darkest Hour proved one thing it was showing the Yanks up for the money grabbing profiteering scumbags they were before Pearl Harbour.

The UK is hardly blameless when it comes to profiteering from the arms trade and some of our output goes to some very nasty regimes.

Last edited:
I've got nothing against Churchill as a WW2 leader though other periods of his long career are certainly questionable to say the least.

Another scene which I also found risible in the film was when his pretty young female secretary taught him how to flick a V sign.In my experience most Harrow public schooldboys (and I used to work as an unqualified Social Worker just down the road from the school) know full well how to do this.

Oh dear Tangled your wrong again. Plenty of us WW2 buffs know the story about Churchill and the V sign.....He did used to do it the wrong way and despite many claims from various officers etc it is recognised that a member of his staff informed him of the faux pas.

The reason it happened was because he nicked the idea off of the Belgians in the first place. There are photos of him as late as 1942 in the desert doing the wrong way, to Monty's desert rats. Everyone knew the right way by then and it was just Churchill enjoying the double entendre with the boys......How very British.

P.S i watched it again on Netflix last night and the claim at the end about the small boats being responsible of getting all the troops off the beaches at Dunkirk are not true......Though of course the did make a fantastic contribution and cost the lives of some local Leigh fisherman.

How about a History thread? Films, books or websites could be discussed. Same rules apply if people mention Boris, Brexit or the Labour party then Mods remove the post......Those that cant behave can be removed from the thread.

There is some great local stuff even amongst us. Like the story of Able Seaman John Walden.

The UK is hardly blameless when it comes to profiteering from the arms trade and some of our output goes to some very nasty regimes.

The Lord of War (Nic Cage) a good 7/10. Has a piece near the end on the the ethics or otherwise behind the US selling arms to certain regimes / dictatorships.

How about a History thread? Films, books or websites could be discussed. Same rules apply if people mention Boris, Brexit or the Labour party then Mods remove the post......Those that cant behave can be removed from the thread.

There is some great local stuff even amongst us. Like the story of Able Seaman John Walden.
Happy with that ?

Oh dear Tangled your wrong again. Plenty of us WW2 buffs know the story about Churchill and the V sign.....He did used to do it the wrong way and despite many claims from various officers etc it is recognised that a member of his staff informed him of the faux pas.

The reason it happened was because he nicked the idea off of the Belgians in the first place. There are photos of him as late as 1942 in the desert doing the wrong way, to Monty's desert rats. Everyone knew the right way by then and it was just Churchill enjoying the double entendre with the boys......How very British.

P.S i watched it again on Netflix last night and the claim at the end about the small boats being responsible of getting all the troops off the beaches at Dunkirk are not true......Though of course the did make a fantastic contribution and cost the lives of some local Leigh fisherman.

I'm quite happy to bow to your superior knowledge in this particular area.Personally I'm more interested in Churchill's role in the Gallopi/Dardenelles campaign in WW1,Tonypandy and his editorship of the Daily Gazette,during the General Strike of 1926.

I'm quite happy to bow to your superior knowledge in this particular area.Personally I'm more interested in Churchill's role in the Gallopi/Dardenelles campaign in WW1,Tonypandy and his editorship of the Daily Gazette,during the General Strike of 1926.

You should remove this section of your post as it would then make sense :Cool:

Your not really interested in Gallipoli and I have covered why and where that will lead too in post 7,154.

For those of you who are interested in learning the truth rather than the myth of Gallipoli i would recommend

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCCzwjsQU9w

Last edited:

I did a project on The Tudors at school.

You should remove this section of your post as it would then make sense :Cool:

Your not really interested in Gallipoli and I have covered why and where that will lead too in post 7,154.

For those of you who are interested in learning the truth rather than the myth of Gallipoli i would recommend

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCCzwjsQU9w

It's arrogant of you to assume I'm not interested in Galliopli.Apart from being a pretty good Peter Weir film starring Mel Gibson (already discussed on this thread) the failure of the Dardanelles campaign in WWI, planned by Churchill, shows up his limitations as a war leader.

Films I'm excited to see:

- Parasite
- Bait

And a bit further in to the year, Tenet, and Dune!

Seems like a good time to plug a 1940's British propaganda film called Western Approuches. It's about the sinking of a British merchant ship and how a German U-Boat stalked the suvivers waiting to sink any rescue ship. All the main charactors were serving crew of the Merchant Service and one of them was a certain Able Seaman John Bernard Walden, my dad.

The acting as you can imagine was awful but the story its self is quite good. If any of you do find it and give it a go, watch out for the bit where one of the sailors counts his lines in while holding on to the mast. That's the old man's big bit in the film.

SLNSW_26456_Premiere_of_Western_Approaches_Embassy_Theatre_taken_for_British_Empire_Films.jpg

WEST-2.jpg

MV5BMTIwMTg5NzM4MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTgxMDYxMQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR32,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

43684817344_8b99f1a945_z.jpg

Back