• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

and Uncut Gems.

Tenet looks bonkers.

other films I want to watch:

The Lighthouse, The Invisible Man, Candyman (reboot),
oh yeah I think Uncut Gems is out next weekend on Netflix. Definitely on the list too.

Seems like a good time to plug a 1940's British propaganda film called Western Approuches. It's about the sinking of a British merchant ship and how a German U-Boat stalked the suvivers waiting to sink any rescue ship. All the main charactors were serving crew of the Merchant Service and one of them was a certain Able Seaman John Bernard Walden, my dad.

The acting as you can imagine was awful but the story its self is quite good. If any of you do find it and give it a go, watch out for the bit where one of the sailors counts his lines in while holding on to the mast. That's the old man's big bit in the film.

I remember for years none of us believed him - remember HMS Bulla**** and the evil Japanese torturers?
For me, the most amazing thing about this film is that it was filmed with active U-boats still known to be in the area. Everyone was taking quite a risk but suppose it beat the Russian convoy!

Fishermens Friends - A fast-living, cynical London music executive (Danny Mays) heads to a remote Cornish village on a stag weekend where he's pranked by his boss (Noel Clarke) into trying to sign a group of shanty singing fishermen (led by James Purefoy). He becomes the ultimate 'fish out of water' as he struggles to gain the respect or enthusiasm of the unlikely boy band and their families (including Tuppence Middleton) who value friendship and community over fame and fortune. As he's drawn deeper into the traditional way of life he's forced to re-evaluate his own integrity and ultimately question what success really means. The storyline is based on true events and is a big time feel good film which had me smiling nearly all the way through. Really worth a watch. 9/10

Rambo: Last Blood, typical Rambo gore fest. Good storyline and a really enjoyable watch. A great way to end the Rambo franchise.

'Hidden Figures' on Channel 4 last night - what an eye-opener...... Concerned the influence and effect of female African American mathematicians involved in the space race. If I'd not watched it I'd never have known their story - fascinating and superbly acted.

Last edited:
Seen Pain and Glory (Dolor y Gloria) and While the war Lasts (meintras Durante La Guerra) again on DVD over the last couple of nights.

The former is easily Almodovar's best film since Mujeres... It cleanesd up at the Goyas (Spanish oscars) here last weekend and ?'ll be interested to see if it gets the bafta/Oscar recognition it deserves. The latter is an excellent account of Unamuno's role in the early stages of the Spanish civil war.

Last edited:
Saw M*A*S* H again last night for the first time since the noughties.It's not a mysogonistic film as Pete Bradshaw maintains in the Graundiad.What is it is, is ironic,subversive and one of the best anti-war films ever made.

Back