• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Saw John Landis's (1980) The Blues Brothers again last night.This just gets better and better every time I see it.Always loved the music & the comedy.Even like the car chases now.

Last edited:
Had a three film binge today loved them all

Devils Advocate old but enjoyable film

Joker really thought it was brilliant

Jumanji 2 - What’s not to enjoy

We finally got round to watching The Imitation Game last night with Benedict Cumberbatch playing the part of Alan Turing. Absolutely fascinating and absorbing film with a first class performance from Cumberbatch. 9/10

I watched it last week, as you good film. Completely spoilt for me by changing the true story and having predictable characters such as the one played by Charles Dance.

No need as the story is brilliant anyway....In fact nearly every scene is wrong, in order to give Turing all the credit and the subliminal LGBT message.

I watched it last week, as you good film. Completely spoilt for me by changing the true story and having predictable characters such as the one played by Charles Dance.

No need as the story is brilliant anyway....In fact nearly every scene is wrong, in order to give Turing all the credit and the subliminal LGBT message.

Were the Polish code breakers who did the groundwork recognised?

Were the Polish code breakers who did the groundwork recognised?

No not mentioned at all, apart from the enigma machine being given to them by the Poles.

The Polish Cipher Bureau had even started the bombe machine before the war as they had been breaking German enigma codes for years. They had built a replica of the enigma machine. They gave us all the knowledge in the summer of 1939 and continued to help.

The film also deliberately dumbs down the role played by women. Even after the Bombe machine was up and running there was constant work to stay ahead of the Germans including other codes to be broken. Much of this was manual and was done by women.

In the film Turing is shown to keep quiet about a soviet spy. Otherwise the spy will expose him for being a homosexual. This never happened and nor was Turing ever investigated as a spy. He was trusted, as British as you like and had a sense of humour.....As well as being our best code breaker.

The film is what it is, and, as with all fictional films based on true stories, there will be liberties taken when it suits the director and script writers. That is a given with most mass released films.
I knew what to expect on the truth and nothing but the truth front and still enjoyed the film.

No not mentioned at all, apart from the enigma machine being given to them by the Poles.

The Polish Cipher Bureau had even started the bombe machine before the war as they had been breaking German enigma codes for years. They had built a replica of the enigma machine. They gave us all the knowledge in the summer of 1939 and continued to help.

The film also deliberately dumbs down the role played by women. Even after the Bombe machine was up and running there was constant work to stay ahead of the Germans including other codes to be broken. Much of this was manual and was done by women.

In the film Turing is shown to keep quiet about a soviet spy. Otherwise the spy will expose him for being a homosexual. This never happened and nor was Turing ever investigated as a spy. He was trusted, as British as you like and had a sense of humour.....As well as being our best code breaker.

The Poles provided is with technical info on decryption but not an actual machine.

The film is what it is, and, as with all fictional films based on true stories, there will be liberties taken when it suits the director and script writers. That is a given with most mass released films.
I knew what to expect on the truth and nothing but the truth front and still enjoyed the film.

Yes directors can certainly take liberties when it suits. Like the film U-571 where a brave American sailors board a sinking U-boat and grab an enigma machine and save the world....The truth is the crew were British and that was the first one we had which was actually used by the Germans.

Another decent film about the subject is Enigma with Kate Winslet. More fantasy than fact but still a decent watch.

In answer to Kaymac's post. The Polish made replicas of the enigma and thats what they gave us.

Back