• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Saw the late,great Alan Parker's, RIP, wonderful Mississippi Burning again last night.Great cast.What's got 4 eyes and can't see? Mississippi.

Probably in my top 10. There is another film of the same events that is embarrassingly poor. Alan Parker tackles the issues really well and not afraid to show the truth, using great characters......Even the opening scene is outstanding because you know exactly what your in for. A good twist on the good cop bad cop pairing, best I can think of.

Saw Angel Heart again last night.Another superb Alan Parker film.I've always maintained that the movie mogels saw the wonderful Louisiana scenes in this and immediatedly thought of him when Mississippi Burning came along. Maybe.

Yes directors can certainly take liberties when it suits. Like the film U-571 where a brave American sailors board a sinking U-boat and grab an enigma machine and save the world....The truth is the crew were British and that was the first one we had which was actually used by the Germans.

Another decent film about the subject is Enigma with Kate Winslet. More fantasy than fact but still a decent watch.

In answer to Kaymac's post. The Polish made replicas of the enigma and thats what they gave us.
Sorry off topic, I’m sure you will have been, but a visit ( or two) to Bletchley park is a great day out

Saw Iciar Bollain's La Boda De Rosa (Rosa's Wedding ) earlier.Well worth looking out for when it gets a UK release ( sometime in 2021, I imagine).It's a skillful social comedy,very different from her recent films.For those who don't know,IB's partner is Paul Laverty (Ken Loach's regular scriptwriter).

Body Double (1984)
Stylish crime thriller from Brian De Palma with big nods to Hitchcock; like a cross between Rear Window and Vertigo with a large dose of LA sleaze, all done with BDP's usual maverick flair. The first hour is absolutely fantastic but it tails off a bit after that, still highly enjoyable. 6.5/10

Sorry off topic, I’m sure you will have been, but a visit ( or two) to Bletchley park is a great day out

If there was a films I'm going to watch section then the Operation Mincemeat would be on my list. Based on the excellent book by Ben Macintyre.....Another wonderful bit of history involving the British intelligence agency's......There is a good doc, introduced by Macintyre on Youtube... If you like that sort of thing.

The Border (1982)
Tony Richardson directs Jack Nicholson, Harvey Keitel and Warren Oates in a bleak tale of corruption amongst US border patrol officials in El Paso. I much prefer Nicholson when he plays it understated as he does here, portraying an ultimately decent man who gets drawn into corruption in order to provide for his frivolous wife. In the end he tries to do the right thing as the film hurtles toward a carnage-filled finale. Worth a watch, nice Ry Cooder soundtrack too. 6.5/10

The Border (1982)
Tony Richardson directs Jack Nicholson, Harvey Keitel and Warren Oates in a bleak tale of corruption amongst US border patrol officials in El Paso. I much prefer Nicholson when he plays it understated as he does here, portraying an ultimately decent man who gets drawn into corruption in order to provide for his frivolous wife. In the end he tries to do the right thing as the film hurtles toward a carnage-filled finale. Worth a watch, nice Ry Cooder soundtrack too. 6.5/10

Check out his 1995 The Crossing Guard,directed by Sean Penn too, if you haven't seen it aleady.

If there was a films I'm going to watch section then the Operation Mincemeat would be on my list. Based on the excellent book by Ben Macintyre.....Another wonderful bit of history involving the British intelligence agency's......There is a good doc, introduced by Macintyre on Youtube... If you like that sort of thing.
Agreed Yes, I’ve seen the film and at least one documentary, but haven’t read the book.
The attention to detail In the plot is outstanding

Back