• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Angel Has Fallen - Liked the other films and this was pretty enjoyable too. Morgan Freeman is actually looking old and I was shocked when I googled it and he is 82! I didn’t think he looked that old. Lots of shooting and ridiculous things going on but enjoyable none the less.

Burnt Offerings (1976)
Ollie Reed, Karen Black and Bette Davis star in this oddity - kind of a supernatural/haunted house film, but it's all a bit vague with very little resolved at the end. It's over-long and a little disjointed, but the small ensemble cast are all excellent and there's some truly chilling sequences and a pretty horrific ending. It's most notable for being the first film shot at Dunsmuir House in Oakland, CA, later seen in Phantasm (one of my absolute favourite films of all time), A View to a Kill, and others. 6.5/10

Das Cabinet des Dr Caligari (1920)
Classic German Expressionist film often cited as the first true horror movie. Despite being a huge fan of the horror genre I've always avoided things like this as I didn't think I'd get on with silent films. As it happens I absolutely loved this - it's a masterpiece and I can't wait to check out more films in the same vein. Visually beautiful and creepy as you like. 10/10

Classic German Expressionist film often cited as the first true horror movie. Despite being a huge fan of the horror genre I've always avoided things like this as I didn't think I'd get on with silent films. As it happens I absolutely loved this - it's a masterpiece and I can't wait to check out more films in the same vein. Visually beautiful and creepy as you like. 10/10

you should check out Haxan and The Golem, How He Came into the World.

It is a fantastic film.

Saw Ken Loach's BBC Wednesday Play version of UP the Junction again last night.Interestingly, although Nell Dunn wrote the screenplay and a lot of the dialogue comes straight from her original novel you could argue that the later film version (which as far as I'm aware ND had nothing to do with) follows the plot of the novel more closely.

Certainly KL's version is faster paced though.

You might want to check out the 1922 Nosferatu .It's an absolute masterpiece of silent cinema and German expressionism.

Yes, seen and love that one - prior to Dr Caligari that's the only silent film I'd ever watched.

You've set the bar pretty high.If you're ever in Berlin you might want to check out the museum there dedicated to the history of early German cinema.Some great stuff to see.

On the subject of German cinema, always liked Leni Riefenstahl 's Triumph of the Will (1935).
Obviously it's Nazi propaganda but nevertheless a brilliant documentary style film.

Last edited:
Back