• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Finding your feet - Amazon Prime. I've seen this 3 times now and still love it. Imelda Staunton, Celia Imrie and Timothy Spall. A gentle comedy that just makes you feel good inside.

Great Gatsby. Youngest read the book for GCSE, and has seen the film so we watched it last night. It’s better than average. The cinematography is great and the casting spot on IMO

Great Gatsby. Youngest read the book for GCSE, and has seen the film so we watched it last night. It’s better than average. The cinematography is great and the casting spot on IMO
Which version? The original with Robert Redford?

(Sounds like O levels have got more contemporary .It was Far from the Maddening Crowd back in my day). :Smile:

Last edited:
The Baz Luhrmann version with Leo.

I'd hardly call it contemporary, it was published in 1925, and GCSEs have been around since 1986....
Nor would I but give me F Scott Fitzgerald over Thomas Hardy any day,(though I should add that I enjoyed the TH and probably wouldn't have read it otherwise,which was perhaps the point of the exercise.Should also add that I much prefer Clayton's Gatsby to Luhrmann's ,which I thought was a mess.(Think you'll find the CPE exam has been around since just before WW1,btw).:Winking:

Last edited:
Just watched the new Thor with my son. Was good fun .. plus, Guns N Roses and Dio on the soundtrack and Natalie Portman. Can’t go wrong really.

I saw the original "Godzilla" (1954) today... A great Sci Fi classic.

Saw The Ladykillers again last night.Imagine everyone has their favourite Ealing comedy. This is mine mainly because of the wonderful ensemble playing.Been wanting to see it again ever since Madness used a few clips from it in their show.

Saw Terence Davies ' Benediction yesterday,a bio -pic of Seigfried Sassoon.the WWI poet.

Vey much enjoyed TD's earlier biographical films and this very much had its moments,particulaly the anti-WW! stuff.

I have been a BFI member for about 14 years.
Be careful! I once had a disagreement with my sister- in- law (not Rob Noxioux's wife) but the other one.When she claimed to be a BFI member I said I imagine you mean associate member to which she readily agreed.Are you a filmaker or have the rules & regulations changed since my day? (quite possible).

Be careful! I once had a disagreement with my sister- in- law (not Rob Noxioux's wife) but the other one.When she claimed to be a BFI member I said I imagine you mean associate member to which she readily agreed.Are you a filmaker or have the rules & regulations changed since my day? (quite possible).

I am just a regular member (a mere film fan!)

I am just a regular member (a mere film fan!)
Back in the time when I was an associate member as a sixth former ,Poly student and working in my twenties, there used to be a distinction between asociate membership (ie film fan) and full membership (ie film maker status etc).It would appear that distincition no longer exists.

Back