• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Back in the time when I was an associate member as a sixth former ,Poly student and working in my twenties, there used to be a distinction between asociate membership (ie film fan) and full membership (ie film maker status etc).It would appear that distincition no longer exists.
Just had a quick look at the BFI membership page - they offer member, champion, and patron grades - based on what you pay - it appears that as you say there is no distinction between film fans and film makers - just give them more dosh.

Watched the latest minions film with my 5 year old. Quite easy to watch and funny in places. 6/10

Just had a quick look at the BFI membership page - they offer member, champion, and patron grades - based on what you pay - it appears that as you say there is no distinction between film fans and film makers - just give them more dosh.
I was talking about ( the now presumably archaic distinction) between associate and full membership,which certainly existed the last time I was an (associate ) member) back in the day.You douldn't claim to be a full member of the BFI back then unless you were a film maker,screen writer etc.as per my disagreement with G.Thankfully that time seems to have passed,as you say.Why anyone would want to be a champion or patron member frankly I've no idea! Though the NT have similar fancy descriptions for their various levels of membership. :Angry:

Last edited:
Rise of the footsoldier origins. Got as far as thd hooligan stuff all filmed at roots hall. Anyone on here take part as an extra? I would have loved to do that!

Operation Mincemeat - Based on a true story of deceiving the Germans over the invasion of Sicily. Well crafted film and Colin Firth is his usual great actor self. 8/10

Operation Mincemeat - Based on a true story of deceiving the Germans over the invasion of Sicily. Well crafted film and Colin Firth is his usual great actor self. 8/10
Haven’t seen it yet , but know the general story from “the man who never was” which is a great film.

On a vaguely similar theme (ww2 espionage) I always thought that a film about the beach code words (Juno, sword, gold,Utah,Omaha), overall operation (overlord)and navy part (sea lion) appearing in the telegraph crossword and the panIc they caused would make a great film

John Carpenter's excellent Sci-fi/Adventure/Romance - Starman (1984)

Starring Jeff Bridges (nominated for a Best Actor Academy Award due to his performance) and Karen Allen who is also brilliant and was deserving of more recognition for her portayal of the young widow.

John Carpenter's excellent Sci-fi/Adventure/Romance - Starman (1984)

Starring Jeff Bridges (nominated for a Best Actor Academy Award due to his performance) and Karen Allen who is also brilliant and was deserving of more recognition for her portayal of the young widow.
I love John carpenter films, vastly underrated imo. Especially as he had smaller budgets and you seen gave actors/actresses their big break.

Personal favourite - assault on prescient 13
( even though the total is wrong😀)

Also watched the King’s Man. After the original was launched I was convinced this franchise had the potential to rival Fast and the Furious for its ability to stretch into infinite films. The sequel was, frankly, embarrassing apart from the death scene of Merlin. The prequel had an opportunity to redeem itself but, in my opinion, failed spectacularly

Dune, the new version , and I thought it was very good!
It explained the main storyline very well and simplified iit to a reasonable level.
When the next instalment comes out I will try to see it at the cinema.

It must be 40 years since I read the books but they were, and must still be, classics of the sci fi genre.

Ford v Ferrari Le Mans starring Matt Damon and Christian Bale.
Story of the GT40 and Ford doing a 1,2,3 over Ferrari.
Bale plays brummie Ken Miles as the No1 driver for Damon's Carroll Shelby Ford team.
Very very good and a must watch for anyone interested in car racing.
It was on either C4 or C5 last night so ought to be available.

Watched The Green Knight on the way back to HK. I can’t make my mind up on this one. I watched until the ending but I wouldn’t say I was engrossed by the film. Maybe the plane screen didn’t do it justice but I’m in no hurry to rewatch on a big screen.

Prey - Disney Plus.

The origin story of the Predator in the world of the Comanche Nation 300 years ago. Naru, a skilled female warrior, fights to protect her tribe against one of the first highly-evolved Predators to land on Earth.

Very different and very watchable. 8/10

Prey - Disney Plus.

The origin story of the Predator in the world of the Comanche Nation 300 years ago. Naru, a skilled female warrior, fights to protect her tribe against one of the first highly-evolved Predators to land on Earth.

Very different and very watchable. 8/10
Interesting, I will take look.
For sure it will hold my attention longer that the "Dog" western with Cumberbatch did, I gave up on it I side 15 minutes.

Back