• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Watched Tom Hanks' News of the World on Wednesday night after a recommendation.

Thought it was a little boring to begin with but enjoyed it in the end - 7/10.

For Saturday night film club yesterday we watched one for all the family, Farmageddon. A nice gentle comedy, and for the film buffs among us, there are plenty references to other films to look out for.

Next week Tenet!

I LOVE John carpenter films, was never given a decent budget but made some great low budget cult films.
The thing
Big trouble in little China
The fog
Halloween
Escape from NY
Christine
Eyes of Laura Mars

My favourite was “assault on precinct 13”, brilliant film, and worth watching for just the music.

It should also win the award for “ worst title”
It was district 13, precinct 9

Great film, I haven't got round to watching the first adaption of the book the 1982 version is based on yet but I hear it's pretty good.

I LOVE John carpenter films, was never given a decent budget but made some great low budget cult films.
The thing
Big trouble in little China
The fog
Halloween
Escape from NY
Christine
Eyes of Laura Mars

My favourite was “assault on precinct 13”, brilliant film, and worth watching for just the music.

It should also win the award for “ worst title”
It was district 13, precinct 9

I have to say I also love John Carpenter's films. He made one complete dud, The Village of the Damned remake, but overall his films are good and The Thing is a masterpiece.

The Court Jester (1955) - Danny Kaye at his absolute best. Watched this many times before but seeing it again tonight reminded me what a funny, clever film it was, and absolutely no CGI anywhere!

Saw Antonio's (!966) Blow -Up again earlier. Arguably his best English language film and beautifully photographed.The sequence with the Yardbirds featuring Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page is still as great as ever.

Last edited:
Watched the recently released on Netflix Yes Day last night. Perfectly good, light hearted family film, very easy to watch. 7/10.

Yes those were the sort of films that were midweek family entertainment in the 70's. Day of the Triffids comes to mind.
Haha never seen or read it but me and a couple of guys I went to school with will always remember this. We had a supply teacher for English when our regular teacher was ill for a few weeks. He was blatently not qualified to teach English and I think the only book he had ever read was "day of the triffids by john windham" as he compared absolutely everything to it!

I suggest you skip watching other Spanish films which bombed at the Goyas unless you have insomnia then.
And do they have sub titles?

I also saw La Boda del Rosa (Rosa's Wedding) which I really liked back in January.Doubtless both films will be subtitled on their eventual UK release next year?Though I saw Chappaquidick (sp?) a few years back which I noticed (from the Guardian yesterday) has been retitled The Senator in the UK and gone straight to Amazon Prime.Not so great unless you're a Kennedy buff.

Saw White Riot Again last night on DVD.Excellent documentary.I'm proud to say I was on this march back in 1978.My only criticism of the film is that although the RAR movement is well explained I'd have liked to have seen a bit more music in it.We all hated the NF but the reason most of us were there was to see and hear some excellent music.

Watched the film ‘Us’ on Netflix.

Interesting film, from Jordan Peele (same guy who directed Get Out). Personally I thought Get Out was a better film, but still quite thought provoking and very different from other horror genre films I’ve seen. Won’t give anything away, but good twist at the end.

7/10

Back