• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Finally... a Madeleine McCann article worth reading

We Have been down this road before Jon .whilst most of us agree with you over the publicity of this .... some of us have kids and it puts a different prospective on things . Its best to leave a sleeping dog lie now mate.We all hope for the best of course. That does not mean we will forget or not hope for the best.

I know what you are saying and it was my fault that the original debate was ignored in the old thread... It is a sensitive subject but i think this article does a good job at analysing the frenzy that has occured and to also look at how the reaction may have done little to really help the McCanns. The point especially about the BBC sending over a 3rd reporter is particularly well made, seeing as it is our money that is being spent reporting not very much unfortunately. I think this is an important subject to discuss and that is why I made this thread, not so much to focus on the McCanns but about how the media has portrayed it.

A good find that article Jon & as you say this thread should not be about the specific McCann case, but more about how the media whip up such stories into a frenzy.

That article mentions various other occurences of this since the news media became 24/7 but on a personal level as I have friends & relatives in the Ipswich area it doesn't mention the furore that surrounded the prostitute murders before Christmas. This was in my opinion an example of how we've now reached saturation level in terms of news reporting. Seeing parts of a town I know very well with a huge media scrum trying to eek out another snippet of basically non-existant information at some points verged on scandalous and again the UK media are guilty of it with current events in Portugal.

Back