• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Firewalls

Can anybody recommend a freeware firewall for home use?
McAfee came installed on my PC but I've got sick of them trying to squeeze more money out of me so I uninstalled it earlier!

If you have virgin media, then you can get their free pcguard which I have had for a few years and had no probs. Also has anti virus etc

windows firewall

What an oxymoron.

I use Sunbelt Kerio as I like the opportunity to tweak it to how i want the firewall to work, I tend to put Sunbelt on friends and families PCs as I can set up a basic rule base if I like or can just leave them to click generic popups similar to Zonealarm. Zonealarm is ok but I just did not like it as much as Sunbelt as you do not get the granular configuration, so once Sunbelt released a Vista version I switched from Zonealarm to Sunbelt.

So if you want a firewall that is really good at customising to suit your needs get Sunbelt, if you just want a firewall that is easy to use then choose either.

Zonealarm is part of the Checkpoint Company.

Zonealarm Free

Sunbelt Free

Last edited:
Are they, where have you read this?

Every time I login & AVG starts automatically & downloads any security updates, I get a message saying you will soon need to pay £49.99 for AVG 8.0. It's been saying for about 2 months the switchover will happen soon and no free updates will then be available.

Every time I login & AVG starts automatically & downloads any security updates, I get a message saying you will soon need to pay £49.99 for AVG 8.0. It's been saying for about 2 months the switchover will happen soon and no free updates will then be available.

really? I have AVG Free 8.0 and haven't seen any such messages.

Also haven't seen anything on t'Intenet saying such things.

Last edited:

Got exactly the same message from AVG the first time I downloaded it from their official site so I decided to go for a mirror version (Download.com) and once that was installed it to gave me the same message. Needless to say I un-installed it and plumped for the full version of Zone Alarm, which incidentally is not only a damn good firewall (much better than the free version) but also comes with a built in comprehensive Antivirus programme.

But who wants to pay for something when you get something good for free?

I am also guessing the AVG free version has not been downloaded, as I have not seen this message or heard about AVG free disappearing through my industry contacts.

Last edited:
Back