• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Hogg

President
As there is currently comments buried deep in another thread - I thought I would ask the question.
Was Micky Welch the first black player to play for Southend United ...in a competitive match?

I saw his debut at Blackpool and cannot remember another black player before him.

As there is currently comments buried deep in another thread - I thought I would ask the question.
Was Micky Welch the first black player to play for Southend United ...in a competitive match?

I saw his debut at Blackpool and cannot remember another black player before him.

was Welch before Richard Young ?

edit ..yes.....

Welch 85 Cadette 85

To the best of my knowledge, Harry "Bud" Houghton was the first mixed race player to wear a Blues shirt.
"Bud" was an Anglo-Indian and made his debut in 1958. He was a big fearless centre forward who scored 32 goals in his 68 appearances before moving on to Oxford United in 1961, where he continued to score goals at a high ratio, 69 in just 106 appearances. He was a great crowd favourite here and most fans like me were dumbfounded when he was sold because he was only 25 years old!

Bud was great. If there were players blocking his path to the ball he would wade through them like a JCB to reach it. Loved him to bits - so did the Roots Hall regulars.

To the best of my knowledge, Harry "Bud" Houghton was the first mixed race player to wear a Blues shirt.
"Bud" was an Anglo-Indian and made his debut in 1958. He was a big fearless centre forward who scored 32 goals in his 68 appearances before moving on to Oxford United in 1961, where he continued to score goals at a high ratio, 69 in just 106 appearances. He was a great crowd favourite here and most fans like me were dumbfounded when he was sold because he was only 25 years old!

Bud was great. If there were players blocking his path to the ball he would wade through them like a JCB to reach it. Loved him to bits - so did the Roots Hall regulars.

According to the records in his first season he scored 20 goals in 27 games. Second season only 7 goals from 27 games (Price scored 29 from 42 games). In his third season 6 goals from 19 games. What happened injury? or just lost his place to Jim Fryatt (16 goals 31 games). Of course in those days no substitutes so no chance to even come on and score.

I see most of his goals for Oxford were in the Southern league. The Oxford manager at the time was his old Birmingham manager so I suppose the offer of £2,000 from Oxford was too much to refuse at the time.

According to the records in his first season he scored 20 goals in 27 games. Second season only 7 goals from 27 games (Price scored 29 from 42 games). In his third season 6 goals from 19 games. What happened injury? or just lost his place to Jim Fryatt (16 goals 31 games). Of course in those days no substitutes so no chance to even come on and score.

I see most of his goals for Oxford were in the Southern league. The Oxford manager at the time was his old Birmingham manager so I suppose the offer of £2,000 from Oxford was too much to refuse at the time.

yes ,I submitted him (along with Ray Whale and Malcolm Partridge ) when the question was raised on the Campbell/ Dumaka thread - he was a bit of a hero for me .He replaced another well-known goal scorer at centre- forward and was everything Roy Hollis wasn't. Fryatt had no pace(he ended up at right-back)but even though not that tall was an incredible header of the ball.

First player I remember is Richard Cadette
I almost got clobbered by a racist fan for running onto the pitch after a local friendly and patting Cadette on the back for an amazing performance.

Back