• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First home game Dec 1967 v Brentford 1-0..Phil Chisnall
First away game may 68 v Notts County,coach broke down going to the game
Got both progs framed ,hanging on my wall here

In the 90's I was very young, Southend 4-4 York. That is all I remember and being more interested in the balloon I had rather than the game. How disgraced I would be if I had a son that showed that much interest at the time!

That was a good game (unusual for the time). Near Christmas too I think. Adrian Clarke scored a couple? I remember getting very drunk that night down Saks.

Southend 3-2 Wigan

April 1st 1988

Went with a couple of mates as it was Friday night and we didn't have much else to do. Stood on the North Bank.

We were near the bottom of the table, and Wigan were near the top IIRC.

Wigan were 2 up at half time and cruising. About 10 mins into the 2nd half Roy McDonough came on as sub for Martin Robinson, and within 5 mins had got himself booked and scored a pen to get it back to 2-1. Martin Ling then volleyed in with his left foot from outside the box with about 15 mins to go. That goal would have been goal of the season in most years, but wasn't even the best goal in that game :smile: That came about 5 mins later, David Crown picked up the ball on the touchline just in front of the dug-outs, cut inside, advanced about 15-20 yards, and then smashed it into the top corner from about 35 yards. The ground went absolutely mental (apart from the 50 or so that had made the trip from Wigan), and a love affair was born that's lasted for the next 29 and a bit years :thumbsup:

Southend 3-2 Wigan

April 1st 1988

Went with a couple of mates as it was Friday night and we didn't have much else to do. Stood on the North Bank.

Wigan were 2 up at half time and cruising. About 10 mins into the 2nd half Roy McDonough came on as sub for Martin Robinson, and within 5 mins had got himself booked and scored a pen to get it back to 2-1. Martin Ling then volleyed in with his left foot from outside the box with about 15 mins to go. That goal would have been goal of the season in most years, but wasn't even the best goal in that game :smile: That came about 5 mins later, David Crown picked up the ball on the touchline just in front of the dug-outs, cut inside, advanced about 15-20 yards, and then smashed it into the top corner from about 35 yards. The ground went absolutely mental (apart from the 50 or so that had made the trip from Wigan), and a love affair was born that's lasted for the next 29 and a bit years :thumbsup:

That was also my sons (DTS) first match at Roots Hall.

Southend 3-2 Wigan

April 1st 1988

One of favourite games ever, Martin Ling was a sub as well.

We needed those three points as we stayed up with a 4-0 win against Blackpool on the last day of the season.

This was the Dick Bate fiasco season when our record after 19 games was won 2 drawn 5 lost 12 GF 22 GA 50 ! Around that time Glenn Pennyfather had just been sold to Palace and David Crown signed from Cambridge. Crown scored 17 goals in 28 games to keep us up - the best being that one against Wigan.

One of favourite games ever, Martin Ling was a sub as well.

We needed those three points as we stayed up with a 4-0 win against Blackpool on the last day of the season.

This was the Dick Bate fiasco season when our record after 19 games was won 2 drawn 5 lost 12 GF 22 GA 50 ! Around that time Glenn Pennyfather had just been sold to Palace and David Crown signed from Cambridge. Crown scored 17 goals in 28 games to keep us up - the best being that one against Wigan.
Iirc At the end of the season Cambridge’s top scorers were Crown and Butler, both of who were playing for us by then..

Southend v Man City 4th round F Cup, lost 1 0. If you think the pitch is bad now, you should have seen the mudbath that day. Only denied by the brilliance off Cities keeper Trautman.
Coincidence! No,I don’t remember seeing you there,but my first game(1955) was the first round victory over QPR 2-0(Hollis and Barker).We won at Weymouth and Lincoln in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Coincidence! No,I don’t remember seeing you there,but my first game(1955) was the first round victory over QPR 2-0(Hollis and Barker).We won at Weymouth and Lincoln in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Ah, Gordon Barker ! Saw a lot of him even though his last game was a year before my first !

Over a 1,000 runs a season for thirteen consecutive years !

I was a gobby little 12/13 year old when an uncle took me to roots hall on a couple of ocassions. Can't remember anything about the games but we stood in the right side of the paddock facing the pitch and our fans were in the north bank. But he had planted the seed. first game I remember was taking my two boys to see was v Rotherham Jan 2000 with Prudoe in goal. Entering the ground was like coming home. oh and we lost but would never support anyone else.

Me too. Even matches I remember well, I still have to check who played/scored.

People like Si, Dave (BBLegend) and others absolutely amaze me with their vivid memory of games that long ago. Extraordinary, really! :thumbsup:
I am very Southen League when it comes to BB The Legend and Mick .

Barker and Bear - if I recall.

Latterly,yes.But for a long time,it was Barker and the dasher Dickie Dodds.When Bear was selected,it was at 5 or 6 and owed much to his sensational boundary fielding.

Yep that was his last game for us - he signed for them a couple days later and came on as sub for them against West Ham on 9th September. He is 70 tomorrow -Happy Birthday Bill!

Great to see him on the pitch at HT at that Chelsea Cup game at the Bridge, a few years ago, now.He rightly got a huge cheer from our fans behind the goal. :thumbsup: Chelsea's modern day Prem. "fans" didn't seem to have a clue who he was.

Great to see him on the pitch at HT at that Chelsea Cup game at the Bridge, a few years ago, now.He rightly got a huge cheer from our fans behind the goal. :thumbsup: Chelsea's modern day Prem. "fans" didn't seem to have a clue who he was.
I always thought that he should of gone to West Ham .

3-1 win over Gillingham. Can't remember which season; possibly 1984-1985. I'm pretty sure Steve Phillips got at least one and weirdly I can remember the scorer of the third: John Gymer, who was sub that game. Think he lobbed the keeper.

3-1 win over Gillingham. Can't remember which season; possibly 1984-1985. I'm pretty sure Steve Phillips got at least one and weirdly I can remember the scorer of the third: John Gymer, who was sub that game. Think he lobbed the keeper.

Think it might be the 3-1 win on 20th April 1984 'Kris'. Scorers were Trevor Whymark, Greig Shepherd and John Gymer. Steve Phillips was playing. John Gymer came on as a sub for Whymark. 3,218 crowd.

It was in the middle of a run of 5 games in 9 days at the end of that season, which ended in relegation, of course.

Think it might be the 3-1 win on 20th April 1984 'Kris'. Scorers were Trevor Whymark, Greig Shepherd and John Gymer. Steve Phillips was playing. John Gymer came on as a sub for Whymark. 3,218 crowd.

It was in the middle of a run of 5 games in 9 days at the end of that season, which ended in relegation, of course.

Whymark and scorer, two words rarely seen in the same sentence

Back