• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

AndyT

Lord of the Reedy River
Apologies, as I am certain this has been done before, but I couldn't add my own memory to an existing thread, because I couldn't find one using the 'search' options.

The reason I thought about this is that Saturday is the same match that was my very first one. Thinking of this and the great stories of Lou Costello, got me thinking back to those early days.

So, on topic, my first ever match was Southend United 2-0 Bradford City on 22nd November 1968. Went with my dad and stood on the South Bank. Goals came from Eddie Clayton and Phil Chisnall. A good crowd of 11,111 in attendance. Either side of this match we won 9-0 and 10-1 in the FA Cup, so they were halcyon days and I didn't realize at the time that I was watching Billy Best and Gary Moore in partnership that night. Not forgetting Chico Hamilton, as well.

The team that night :-

Roberts
Bentley
Birks
McMillan
Beesley
Kurila
Clayton
Chisnall
Moore
Best
Hamilton

Sub : Chambers

Looking at the end of that season, we played a remarkable 6 games in 17 days (of which 5 were away). Indeed, our last 4 games were all away (Bradford City, Darlington, Rochdale & Scunthorpe) in the space of just 10 days! .. I defy anyone to have seen all of those!

Certainly saw both the 9-0 and 10-1 cup games you mention.Must have seen the Bradford City game too, though I certainly didn't see any of the last 4 away games , though I did make a few that season,especially in the League and FA Cup.

68/9 was probably the best ever season to support Southend.:thumbsup:

I went to see us play Swindon Town at Roots Hall in Dec 1994 with my Junior School Football Team.
We won 2-0, Roger Willis and Andy Edwards were on target.
I remember Steve Mcmahon was sent off in his first game in charge.
I think i sat in the West Stand :smile:

21st April 1973 beat Chesterfield 5 -1 having stuffed Port Vale the previous day (Good Friday) 5 - 0 at home. How would the current crop of players cope with games on consecutive days.:winking: Come to think of it the pitch would struggle this season.

" Indeed, our last 4 games were all away (Bradford City, Darlington, Rochdale & Scunthorpe) in the space of just 10 days! .. I defy anyone to have seen all of those!"

May 10, 1968. My brother and I went to the Rochdale away. Boneshaker coach to Manchester which left London at about midnight. Stiff neck through "sleeping" upright on rock hard seats. Breakfast in a greasy spoon; local bus to Rochdale (we got off the bus at Middleton as the description we had matched!). Lost 3-0, Trevor Roberts split his shorts. We only managed the final part of our journey home because we were given change from a luncheon voucher. Arrived home with 6d (2½p) to our name.
Coach travel has changed somewhat...

..however, my first game was probably home to QPR in November 1965. That is all I remember.

August 1969, home v Crewe Alexandra. Won 2-0. Moore and Baber I think were the scorers.

And so began the longest relationship of my life...

..however, my first game was probably home to QPR in November 1965. That is all I remember.

Looked it up and it must be the 3-1 defeat on 20th November 1965 'Rob'. Our goal came from Eddie Firmani.

A week later we lost 9-1 at Brighton! :omg:

Southend United 2-1 Scunthorpe United, September 14th 1985.

I am fairly certain Richard Cadette was one of the scorers - not sure where I could check that online so the answer may have to wait until I get home.

A bumper crowd of 2,895, and I await a certain comment from a certain Mr Firestorm...

8th March 1958, with my dad, Southend United 5 Coventry City 1. The start of a lifelong romance, consummated but never wholely fulfilled!! 60 big ones next year. COYBB

Do you know, I couldn't tell you my first game. It was in the late 70's and would have been in the Paddock with my Dad and Grandad, if it was cold, we would have paid extra and got a cushion and sat in the seats. Anyone remember being given a cushion to sit on?

Newport County 2 April 1960 won 3-2. 8,632
Threadgold, Williamson, Whale, Costello, Stirling, Dicks, Stenhouse, Corthine, Houghton, Price,Wall .
Scorers Corthine, Stenhouse and Houghton.

My first floodlit game was Sept 3 1962 when we beat Shrewsbury 3-1 on a Monday evening in front of 14,449 - our fifth consecutive win after losing the first game of the season. Two days earlier we had won 4-3 at Coventry. The atmosphere was amazing. I think it was 1-1 with ten minutes left and I can recall Derek Woodley flying 60+ yards to put a cross in that was knocked in. Big Arthur Rowley was playing for Shrewsbury who beat us 6-0, 9 days later on 12th Sept! We went on a run of 7 defeats in 8 games. I was hooked on floodlit football.

Goy, Thame, Anderson, Bentley, Watson, Lee, Woodley, McNeil, Beesley, Jones, Kellard.

Do you know, I couldn't tell you my first game. It was in the late 70's and would have been in the Paddock with my Dad and Grandad, if it was cold, we would have paid extra and got a cushion and sat in the seats. Anyone remember being given a cushion to sit on?

I can remember cushions being hurled onto the pitch after woeful home defeats.

I do remember having to duck a from few cushions in the late 70's when they were hurled onto the pitch at the end of a match.

NO I wasn't playing...Just invading as a young 'erbert' in a blue snorkel with real rabbits fur trim complete with not just blue and white scarf but it had red in it as well.

I do remember having to duck a from few cushions in the late 70's when they were hurled onto the pitch at the end of a match.

NO I wasn't playing...Just invading as a young 'erbert' in a blue snorkel with real rabbits fur trim complete with not just blue and white scarf but it had red in it as well.

The first time I remember the cushions was after a cup game v Colchester which we lost at home and the referee was the aptly named Mr Bent. I think (but may be wrong) that he gave them 2 penalties.

I seem to recall the flying cushions on several occasions after that.

So I didn't dream it then, I thought so. I think we paid an extra 50p and you could go from the Paddock into the seats and you was given a cushion to sit on. Phew, I thought I was going mad :stunned:

I was there and remember Mr Bent very well, he was shocking. I did resist chucking cushions at him though!

Yeah I can remember them the Old Boys in the East Stand showing their dis-pleasure in hurling cushions onto the pitch at full time whistle if we played badly as well.... hahahahaha

Apologies, as I am certain this has been done before, but I couldn't add my own memory to an existing thread, because I couldn't find one using the 'search' options.

The reason I thought about this is that Saturday is the same match that was my very first one. Thinking of this and the great stories of Lou Costello, got me thinking back to those early days.

So, on topic, my first ever match was Southend United 2-0 Bradford City on 22nd November 1968. Went with my dad and stood on the South Bank. Goals came from Eddie Clayton and Phil Chisnall. A good crowd of 11,111 in attendance. Either side of this match we won 9-0 and 10-1 in the FA Cup, so they were halcyon days and I didn't realize at the time that I was watching Billy Best and Gary Moore in partnership that night. Not forgetting Chico Hamilton, as well.

The team that night :-

Roberts
Bentley
Birks
McMillan
Beesley
Kurila
Clayton
Chisnall
Moore
Best
Hamilton

Sub : Chambers

Looking at the end of that season, we played a remarkable 6 games in 17 days (of which 5 were away). Indeed, our last 4 games were all away (Bradford City, Darlington, Rochdale & Scunthorpe) in the space of just 10 days! .. I defy anyone to have seen all of those!
Regarding the above season of 1968-69, I can tell you that I know of at least 2 people that went to every match that season and there could possibly be others which included 46 league games, 4 F.A.Cup + 2 league cup matches a total of 52!!(You could also add on E.P.C.matches as this was often seen as a 1st.Team fixture).
The amazing thing about that season in particular was the amount of matches that were played away on a weekday which were as follows:Tues.Bournemouth(LC);Wed.Lincoln City;Wed.Wolves(LC)Wed.Aldershot;Mon.Port Vale;Fri.Colchester Utd;
Mon.Brentford;Fri.Wrexham;Tues.Bradford Park Avenue(Easter Tuesday afternoon?);Fri.Chesterfield;Fri.Bradford City;
Mon.Darlington;Tues.Scunthorpe(this match was also P/P twice);Sat.Rochdale which was also P/P twice in midweek).
We scored a total of 106 league and cup goals with most of the goals coming from Billy Best 31; Gary Moore 21; Ian"Chico"Hamilton 12; Eddie Clayton 11, & Phil Chisnall 8.(we also conceded 66).
Although we failed again to get promotion that season, we finished in 7th.place. However for many people of a certain age this was and always will be a quite remarkable season to have followed the club.

Back