• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First midfielder to score

Who'll the first central midfielder to score a first team goal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Our central midfielders have played 70 matches for the club between them and incredibly have yet to score.

Yearwood - 30 appearances - drives forward from midfield and is surely due a goal
Mantom - 19 appearances - a midfielder who averages a goal every 8 league starts in his career but yet to open his Southend account
Dieng - 11 appearances - a threat at set pieces and likes a long range shot but no goal in a Southend shirt yet
Hyam - 2 appearances - a long shot as currently out of action
Klass - 6 appearances - an attacking midfielder who has already hit the woodwork a couple of times in his Southend career
Gard - 2 appearances - sadly injured
Batolwka - played in the Checkatrade but yet to make his first team debut
Harry Phillips - tipped by Timlin as one to look out for but is he still at the club?

Close between Dieng and Dru for me, however my gut feeling is for Dieng so he got my vote.
Will be great to see Dru finally score though.

I hear Luke has Hy Ambitions to be the first, but I think Sam is the Man to make that one

Dru got into a couple of positions yesterday but chose to pass instead of shoot. Once he gets that confidence to shoot knowing he will score I reckon they’ll start flying in after that.

I would suggest it will be Dru as with his speed and strength to leave defenders, tackling thin air. He will be on the score sheet very soon.

Let's hope it's Dru on Saturday, he got so close last season - will be some great celebrations both on the field and amongst the fans.

Never known such a barren spell from our midfield, shows how spoilt we've been over the last few seasons with Lenny, Timlin, Woody, Atkinson, Worrall etc.

I think we could say the same about the defenders as well. So far the only goal from a defender has come from the penalty spot. Nothing from the centre backs at corners yet.

I think we could say the same about the defenders as well. So far the only goal from a defender has come from the penalty spot. Nothing from the centre backs at corners yet.

That's not so unusual though.

Only yesterday I had a conversation with a fellow Blue on this subject. Unless the current non-scoring form of our midfielders changes it will be very difficult to have a season where a play off position can be achieved and maintained.

If we keep the 3 5 2 formation for the majority of the games then the 3 central midfielders have to start scoring. Otherwise the front 2 will need to score 30+ this season

Dru got into a couple of positions yesterday but chose to pass instead of shoot. Once he gets that confidence to shoot knowing he will score I reckon they’ll start flying in after that.

The thing is I’d actually disagree with this and say the opposite. Since coming into the side Dru’s been involved in lots of moves where he’s been breaking forward at pace with the ball with one or two teammates offering support, often in better goalscoring positions.

I’d argue because he has yet to get that first goal he’s still suffering from tunnel vision a touch and takes on the shot when it’s the wrong option. What was great about Saturday’s performance was he played in Simon Cox and got himself an assist rather than back himself from a more difficult position.

I think that once that first goal comes we may well see his decision making improve tenfold and he’ll add more goals and assists to his game. At that point we’ll really be fending off bids for him.

Only yesterday I had a conversation with a fellow Blue on this subject. Unless the current non-scoring form of our midfielders changes it will be very difficult to have a season where a play off position can be achieved and maintained.

If we keep the 3 5 2 formation for the majority of the games then the 3 central midfielders have to start scoring. Otherwise the front 2 will need to score 30+ this season

Totally agree with this and I think that though Yearwood, Dieng and Mantom are all really good players that collectively they lack the goal-scoring threat that I personally believe is essential to support the front two. From what we have seen so far, there is no real threat there even from dead ball situations.

In my opinion the squad is missing an attack minded central midfielder to supplement the forwards - I guess however that most teams in our Division would also be on the look out for such a player.

Totally agree with this and I think that though Yearwood, Dieng and Mantom are all really good players that collectively they lack the goal-scoring threat that I personally believe is essential to support the front two. From what we have seen so far, there is no real threat there even from dead ball situations.

In my opinion the squad is missing an attack minded central midfielde
r to supplement the forwards - I guess however that most teams in our Division would also be on the look out for such a player.

Only if we play 3-5-2. With 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 then our wingers come into play and they can score goals - McLaughlin got 8 last season, Kightly 6 whilst Bunn had a 9 goal season in the championship.

I think this squad was set up with the idea to play 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 - the trouble was our wingers got injured/suspended/lacked form and we've gone with wing-backs instead which wasn't what we planned for.

Back