• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First midfielder to score

Who'll the first central midfielder to score a first team goal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Never known such a barren spell from our midfield, shows how spoilt we've been over the last few seasons with Lenny, Timlin, Woody, Atkinson, Worrall etc.
I’m(genuinely)interested in who comes under “etc.”,and wish to point out that Dave Worrall was essentially a wide-man,winger while I’m shocked to see Atkinson somehow found the net 11 times in his 175 appearances for us,as he usually seemed to hinder rather than help when we tried to go forward ,under Brown.

Never known such a barren spell from our midfield, shows how spoilt we've been over the last few seasons with Lenny, Timlin, Woody, Atkinson, Worrall etc.

I had a look at the four seasons Lenny, Timlin and Atkinson played together and their goalscoring exploits

2016/17 (8 league goals between them)
Will Atkinson's first goal(s) 19th November (2), he also scored 22nd November and his final goal on 26th December. (4)
Michael Timlin's only goal 21st February (his season didn't start until 8th November as he was banged up) (1)
Ryan Leonard's first goal 27th September, he also scored 4th Feb and 14th March. (3)

2015/16 (7 league goals between them)
Will Atkinson's first goal 24th November (his second and final goal that season: 2nd February) (2)
Michael Timlin's first goal 26th September (his second and final goal that season: 12th March) (2)
Ryan Leonard's first goal 31st October (his second was a week later, his third and final goal that season the week after). (3)

2014/15 (8 league goals between them, plus 2 play-offs and 1 League Cup)
Will Atkinson's first goal 3rd April (his second and final goal that season 6th April) (2)
Michael Timlin's first goal 28th February (he also scored 18th April, 25th April and rather memorably 14th May) (4)
Ryan Leonard's first goal 14th August in the League Cup but his first League goal wasn't until 1st November (he also scored 24th January, 14th March and in the play-offs 14th May) (5)

2013/14 (8 league goals between them plus 4 FA Cup and 1 play-offs)
Will Atkinson's first goal 26th November (he also scored 4th Jan and 24th March) (3)
Michael Timlin's first goal 4th January (he also scored 25th February and 18th April) (3)
Ryan Leonard's first goal 9th November (in the FA Cup) but his first League goal wasn't until 1st January (2), he then also scored 4th January in the FA Cup (like Atkinson and Timlin), 18th January, 8th February, 8th March and then in the play-offs (8)

Interesting how often they scored in clumps which suggests that once one goes in Mantom/Yearwood/Dieng could still be on track to match Atkinson/Lenny/Timlin's usual 8 league goals a season.

I’m(genuinely)interested in who comes under “etc.”,and wish to point out that Dave Worrall was essentially a wide-man,winger while I’m shocked to see Atkinson somehow found the net 11 times in his 175 appearances for us,as he usually seemed to hinder rather than help when we tried to go forward ,under Brown.
Atkinson was actually a great finisher when he got into good attacking areas. His two goals against Bradford two seasons were extremely well taken and I think he got a couple against Portsmouth back in League 2 that were also pretty clinical. Probably his best goal was against Millwall in the FA Cup when he was sent clear and very calmly dinked it over the keeper.

Atkinson was actually a great finisher when he got into good attacking areas. His two goals against Bradford two seasons were extremely well taken and I think he got a couple against Portsmouth back in League 2 that were also pretty clinical. Probably his best goal was against Millwall in the FA Cup when he was sent clear and very calmly dinked it over the keeper.

Just to keep you up-to-date with this “great finisher”!!-Will Atkinson!! :
At Mansfield Lg 2 -his level -
2017-18 : grand total of 2 goals from 43 games(17 as sub).
2018-19 :selected for 1 game only(Carabao Cup) + 4 sub appearances—no goals,of course.[/QUOTE]

I'm aware of the stats. My point was that when Will got into those areas he was actually a quite a composed finisher so it's a shame he didn't get into those positions more often.

If Dru does add goal scoring to his repertoire I fear we may not see him for too much longer. He's not fully fit yet has already made a huge impact again this season on his return. He bags 4 or 5 before Christmas and Ron might be handling a few phone calls.

It’s going to be hard to hang on to Dru as it is considering the manner in which he has started his career. If he finds his scoring boots then we are in big trouble! That said we would be receiving serious cash for such a talent.

It’s going to be hard to hang on to Dru as it is considering the manner in which he has started his career. If he finds his scoring boots then we are in big trouble! That said we would be receiving serious cash for such a talent.
When and not if we lose him to a bigger club i hope its one from the bundesliga in Germany,there i think he will really learn more and be worth much more later on , than warming the bench of a premier league club .A club like Dortmund would be great.

Completely agree, love seeing young English players go abroad. Must be quite nerve-wracking at first but when they settle it’s the opportunity of a lifetime!
Unfortunately he will go to a prem team and then most likely be loaned out to championship straight away.... :Scared:

We'll have Dru for the rest of this season. The club will sell him before next campaign unless he suffers injuries, etc.

If we are VERY lucky we might have him until January next season.

Just to think it was a little over a month ago we were doubting a central midfielder would ever score for us again and last night two of them notched their second goals of the season.

Mantom has got 10 on target this season so far so on paper he stands the best chance but the way Dieng is playing it's likely to be him.

Would like to see Hutchy do the business but I have a feeling he isn't going to get the opportunity sadly.

However, the hidden treasure could be Kightly if he carries on making those runs he made on Saturday.

I had a look at the four seasons Lenny, Timlin and Atkinson played together and their goalscoring exploits

2016/17 (8 league goals between them)
Will Atkinson's first goal(s) 19th November (2), he also scored 22nd November and his final goal on 26th December. (4)
Michael Timlin's only goal 21st February (his season didn't start until 8th November as he was banged up) (1)
Ryan Leonard's first goal 27th September, he also scored 4th Feb and 14th March. (3)

2015/16 (7 league goals between them)
Will Atkinson's first goal 24th November (his second and final goal that season: 2nd February) (2)
Michael Timlin's first goal 26th September (his second and final goal that season: 12th March) (2)
Ryan Leonard's first goal 31st October (his second was a week later, his third and final goal that season the week after). (3)

2014/15 (8 league goals between them, plus 2 play-offs and 1 League Cup)
Will Atkinson's first goal 3rd April (his second and final goal that season 6th April) (2)
Michael Timlin's first goal 28th February (he also scored 18th April, 25th April and rather memorably 14th May) (4)
Ryan Leonard's first goal 14th August in the League Cup but his first League goal wasn't until 1st November (he also scored 24th January, 14th March and in the play-offs 14th May) (5)

2013/14 (8 league goals between them plus 4 FA Cup and 1 play-offs)
Will Atkinson's first goal 26th November (he also scored 4th Jan and 24th March) (3)
Michael Timlin's first goal 4th January (he also scored 25th February and 18th April) (3)
Ryan Leonard's first goal 9th November (in the FA Cup) but his first League goal wasn't until 1st January (2), he then also scored 4th January in the FA Cup (like Atkinson and Timlin), 18th January, 8th February, 8th March and then in the play-offs (8)

Interesting how often they scored in clumps which suggests that once one goes in Mantom/Yearwood/Dieng could still be on track to match Atkinson/Lenny/Timlin's usual 8 league goals a season.

Update

Mantom is now on 7 goals (5 League, 2 FA Cup)
Dieng is on 4 goals (3 League, 1 FA Cup)
Hyam is on 1 goal
Dru has yet to break his duck

So they've now matched Lenny, Timlin and Atkinson's league tallies from 2013/14 to 2016/17.

Hopefully they add to it on Saturday!

Last edited:
Back