• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

galvatron1983

Schoolboy
Hey ppl,

This is my first post so I thought a great icebreaker would be to see what memories people have of their first shrimpers game? Go easy on me as I not used to this forum posting marlarkey, but I promise to keep my ramblings to a minimum!

My first game was on a glorious Saturday in October (the 3rd!) 1998, against Rochdale no less! As I recall it was a pretty dull game with Rochdale grabbing a goal I believe in the first half and Kevin Maher with an equaliser in the 2nd. A rather epic 3686 including my dad and my 14 year old self turned up for it, and we enjoyed it so much that we came to the next game (Leyton O, 2-2) and the next, and the next....

Itll be great getting to know you all, and merry posting!

i was a ball boy in 1982 at roots hall v brentford when the south stand was proper high and both sets of fans were in their.

Hey ppl,

This is my first post so I thought a great icebreaker would be to see what memories people have of their first shrimpers game? Go easy on me as I not used to this forum posting marlarkey, but I promise to keep my ramblings to a minimum!

My first game was on a glorious Saturday in October (the 3rd!) 1998, against Rochdale no less! As I recall it was a pretty dull game with Rochdale grabbing a goal I believe in the first half and Kevin Maher with an equaliser in the 2nd. A rather epic 3686 including my dad and my 14 year old self turned up for it, and we enjoyed it so much that we came to the next game (Leyton O, 2-2) and the next, and the next....

Itll be great getting to know you all, and merry posting!

Welcome to the board galvatron1983 (great transformer related name there!)

My first proper game was the first game of 91-92 season (our first in then div2), vs Bristol City. Hooked ever since.

I had attended a cup game a season or two before but that was a disaster as I forgot my glasses and couldn't see anything & my uncle took us home at halftime as my cousin was v young and too tired to stay!

Walsall home. nil nil David crowns first home game. In the North Bank 1987 I think

Thanks Drastic Sturgeon, I thought Id try and use something non-footy related, great to see someone catch the reference!

I went to my first SUFC away game that same 98-99 season, at Leyton O. Around 2,600 Southend fans were there including me and my dad, Mel Capleton saved a pen in the first half, then Simon Coleman scored the opener before half time, then Neil Campbell bagged a couple in the second half, 3 nil!

First home game was against Swindon, must have been around 1975. Won 3-0. I think it was in the days of Chris Guthrie? Can't remember if he scored. Stood in the north bank feeling right hard, although in reality would have run a mile from any trouble! Certainly was addictive though.

First away game was either Col U (won 0-1, Colin Morris) or Derby in the cup (lost 3-2) can't remember which came first.

Happy days, could get a return ticket from Billericay to Prittlewell, a program, a ticket & a bag of chips for about £2.50

You youngsters!

Home to Southampton was my first game, 12th Sept 1958. Stood looking over the wall behind the goal in the North Stand and remember our keeper Norman Uprichard(NI International I think), letting one in that went between his legs. Couldnt believe it - didnt think professionals did that! We lost 4-2. I see from the SUFC Database there was a reasonable 10,000+ gate. Soon after that we beat Tranmere 7-1, Accrington Stanley 6-0(just before they folded) and Oswestry town 6-0(FA Cup) all in consecutive games - no wonder I was hooked!! Out of my hundreds of programmes I collected back then I still have the Accrington one.

Home Vs PLYMOUTH 1979 (League) won 4-1. I was 15, went in the north bank.
Joined a few mates on the train from Stanford, they'd been a couple of times, cheeky little buggers we all were.
Like others, completely hooked from that day. 1st away game following season Bournemouth, boxing day I think,
Caught the coach from Basildon Bowl.

Easter Saturday 1973 against Chesterfield. Won 5 - 0. Can't remember exactly but Bill Best and Gary Moore among the scorers. Went on to win 5-1 at Port Vale on Easter Monday IIRC.

Brentford in the league cup 2-2 1968 or 69,mum and dad took me in the main stand,a great memory of mum cheering the Shrimpers on even though Charlton and Arsenal were her teams(woolwich girl)from then on it was only ever going to be the Blues for me.

ps welcome on board galvatron,great thread.

Welcome galvatron!

Home to Scunthorpe, September 14th 1985. We won 2-1, Richard Cadette and Steve Phillips scoring the goals. Scunny's keeper had a nervous tic. "Twitch twitch, twitch twitch, twitch twitch, la la la"

Sometime during 1965/66, I think it was against either Workington or Exeter.

We won I can remember that much, which it quite remarkable really when you take into account this was some 16 odd years before I was born.

:angel:

Southend United 5 - 3 Bournemouth

[video=youtube;i9Uk_i4L4iU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Uk_i4L4iU[/video]

Thought it was going to be like that every week, however I was wrong!

Back