• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First team coach/es

Surprised people are disappointed with this - he's first team coach, not a new manager, and seems to have excellent qualifications (UEFA PRO licence) and experience (1st team coach in the premiership) and will be sharing that with our players and coaching team.

The alternatives seemed to be younger current or recent-ex players, who may have energy and enthusiasm and even love for our club, however they will be looking to try out their skills and learn and develop with us. Therefore I think they're a bit of a risk - they may have turned out to be great, but I'd rather they learned their trade elsewhere and come to us when they've proved themselves.

I don't know Ian Hendon at all, but his CV looks pretty impressive to effectively be no.3 in the coaching team at a National League club.

Surprised people are disappointed with this - he's first team coach, not a new manager, and seems to have excellent qualifications (UEFA PRO licence) and experience (1st team coach in the premiership) and will be sharing that with our players and coaching team.

The alternatives seemed to be younger current or recent-ex players, who may have energy and enthusiasm and even love for our club, however they will be looking to try out their skills and learn and develop with us. Therefore I think they're a bit of a risk - they may have turned out to be great, but I'd rather they learned their trade elsewhere and come to us when they've proved themselves.

I don't know Ian Hendon at all, but his CV looks pretty impressive to effectively be no.3 in the coaching team at a National League club.

I agree with all of that but hope the sharing of the Premiership knowledge and skills doesnt include passing the ball around at the back ? :Winking:

Agreed, as I put many, many posts back, it all is down to the job description,. I imagine he is going to be doing the day to day fitness sessions, monitoring the squad, giving feedback, reporting issues, ensuring drills are done, testing etc and leave tactics and set piece work to session from PB and CF. Overseeing the ketchup too!

Distinctly under-whelmed by this, really hoped it would be someone to fire things up with both players and fans and get that feel good factor back.

What sort of first team coach appointment would have fired you up and got a feel good factor back?

What sort of first team coach appointment would have fired you up and got a feel good factor back?

OBL wanted Michael Timlin. Whilst it would be good to see him back at the club, comparing his coaching experience and qualifications with those of somebody like Hendon is like comparing apples and oranges. Can't be looking a gift horse in the mouth with this one, the good of the team has to come first and this is an appointment which could have a big impact on the training ground.

OBL wanted Michael Timlin. Whilst it would be good to see him back at the club, comparing his coaching experience and qualifications with those of somebody like Hendon is like comparing apples and oranges. Can't be looking a gift horse in the mouth with this one, the good of the team has to come first and this is an appointment which could have a big impact on the training ground.
It must come down to what the club are going to pay in wages to wether you come to Southen United .

Yep. Timlin would have been my 1st choice. I know nothing about this bloke, I'm afraid.
I guess it's all about opinions (and that's what's good about SZ) - to me Timlin has little or no experience as a coach and is not (as far as I am aware) as well qualified as Hendon.

I don't know either of them, but on their CVs alone I'm not sure Timlin would come close to Hendon. Therefore he represents more of a risk.

I'll be very happy that we get the best coaches available for next season to try to get every advantage we can from our parachute payments and try to bounce back.

I don't think it's the season for experiments with former players - however much blood they've shed for the club in the past!

I guess it's all about opinions (and that's what's good about SZ) - to me Timlin has little or no experience as a coach and is not (as far as I am aware) as well qualified as Hendon.

I don't know either of them, but on their CVs alone I'm not sure Timlin would come close to Hendon. Therefore he represents more of a risk.

I'll be very happy that we get the best coaches available for next season to try to get every advantage we can from our parachute payments and try to bounce back.

I don't think it's the season for experiments with former players - however much blood they've shed for the club in the past!
We could still get timlin in to put the cones out and instill some fight.

I do wonder what Tims is on with Dulwich Hamlet. Can't be much.
Might still be able to bring him in- working with the likes of Hendon will be good development and he could continue his badges (has he done UEFA license(s) yet?

Ian Hendon, eh? Known as “Sorry lads” in these here parts for his tendency to hold up an apologetic hand every time he shanked the ball out of play when crossing or clearing whilst under no pressure.

You can essentially ignore his time as Orient manager as it happened during Mad Frank’s era, though it did follow the same tumultuous characteristics of his Barnet reign (albeit in a shorter timescale).

Anyhoo, what I really came here to say was that he is an absolutely miserable c*** of a man with a truly awful wife who does not stand for the slightest criticism (imagined or otherwise) of hubby. So do follow her on social media as she really does enjoy telling anyone and everyone to f*** off.

I was once told by a manager (old first division before Premier League) that the main qualification of your head coach/assistant manager must be that they can never be thought of as a serious rival for your job!
I would have thought the main requirement of a coach would be his relationship with the manager, and, his personality. In reality, it is very difficult for any coach to significantly improve a player.
A coach can help keep training interesting and help create an atmosphere where players enjoy what they are doing, thereby fostering team spirit.
Not all will agree but I would suggest that the personality of the coach might be more important than the badges or qualifications he might possess.

Ian Hendon, eh? Known as “Sorry lads” in these here parts for his tendency to hold up an apologetic hand every time he shanked the ball out of play when crossing or clearing whilst under no pressure.

You can essentially ignore his time as Orient manager as it happened during Mad Frank’s era, though it did follow the same tumultuous characteristics of his Barnet reign (albeit in a shorter timescale).

Anyhoo, what I really came here to say was that he is an absolutely miserable c*** of a man with a truly awful wife who does not stand for the slightest criticism (imagined or otherwise) of hubby. So do follow her on social media as she really does enjoy telling anyone and everyone to f*** off.
I like him already.

whats her handle?

Back