• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

yogi bear up the cagire

Life President⭐
When Luggy spoke about our JPT first-leg at Orient, he talked about the need to stay in the tie. Well, one could well speak of our next five league fixtures in February as games to keep our automatic promotion hopes alive. A series of poor results and we could find ourselves fighting just to be one of the contenders in the play-off lottery. So, what are the minimum requirements and the likely haul of points over the next weeks? I'm not proposing this thread as competion to the 'predictor league', more a compliment to it.
For me the absolute minimum to stay in contention is eight points from the next five and that, strangely is what I would estimate.

A Accrington win 3points
H Cheltenham lose 0
H Northampton draw 1
A Wycombe draw 1
A Barnet win 3

Three wins and two defeats would be a better outcome but all in all I believe that our automatic aspirations will be far clearer come the end of the month. Some will argue, perhaps correctly, that the first two games in March (H Rotherham & A Port Vale) should be added to this mix but I think that the kind of form we go into these two difficult matches with, will be a very important factor in their outcome.

Id hope we would get more than 1 point at home in two games, if we cant achieve more than that we can forget the playoffs let alone the automatics.

Id hope we would get more than 1 point at home in two games, if we cant achieve more than that we can forget the playoffs let alone the automatics.

Given our home from over the last couple of years I wouldn't be surprised especially against teams near the top of the table.

Northampton and Wycombe have been in good form, so agree with that. Cheltenham have been dropping quite a fair few points, so we might be able to nick all 3 points.

Saying that, Northampton's away record is quite poor and are only in their position because of their great home record. Wycombe's form is good, but with 3 games between now and then that can change and their momentum could slow down.

In effect, every game is a little cup-tie for us. This afternoon is extremely important not just for the three points but for the confidence it will (or will not) provide us with, facing our promotion rivals in the next two home games. Tricky or not I feel that Accrington is the kind of game we have to win in order to consider ourselves as serious promotion contenders......Blues, just go and do the business!

(dare i say it!) Northampton's away record has been dreadful so we should be looking for 3 points against them (2-0 win) and also against Barnet (3-1 win). I'd be happy with a point today (0-0) and away to Wycombe(1-1), who seem to be improving and that leaves Cheltenham which i think will be a 1-1 draw too!

I'm going to go with this:-

A Accrington win 3points
H Cheltenham draw 1 point
H Northampton win 3 points
A Wycombe draw 1
A Barnet win 3

Hopeful of 3 points today but I think not signing Benson is going to bite us on the ***, he's an excellent player at this level. I agree with the point about Northampton's away record & Wycombe are a slowly improving side, though it has to be said they were dreadful at RH. Barnet had a little run of form after Davids took sole charge, but they are showing their level again now.

I agree though the two games at the start of March might be quite indicative of where we finish, I'd love to see 4 points from those games..:smile:

I think that as long as we take each game as it comes , give it 110 percent , work our socks off and remember it's a game of two halves , we should be fine.

A Accrington - 3 points
H Cheltenham - 1 point
H Northampton - 3 points
A Wycombe - 1 point
A Barnet - 3 points

Would be okay for me. Would like to beat them all though obviously.

So 'only' a point today - really need at least 3 or 4 pts from our next two home games now!!! If we get these, we would need a further 3/4 from the two away games to remain in the hunt.

3 home games coming up in the next 11 days. Will we win them all?. Doubtful, although a draw against Orient would be enough. Cheltenham had a poor result today, so hopefully we can capitalise on that. Northampton seem to be doing ok at present, and if i were a betting man, i'd wager that big lump Akin whatever will score against us.
Although promotion is our ultimate aim, as Wembley beckons so near, i think deep down many fans if given the choice, would sacrifice league points to achieve that pinnacle.

I think Paul Sturrock made the self evident point that, if you are serious promotion contenders, you win games like this. I reiterate, the real damage today is not the two points lost. If you read a script regarding our injuries and now suspensions you just wouldn't find it believable. I mean, in Christ's name, what is going to happen over the next few games? Clohessy injured? Smith and Hurst sent off? Luggy must be in total despair. I start to have a horrible feeling that a whole erea may be coming towards an end and I honestly fear for what may follow. I'm certainly not one to be over dramatic. :winking:

In an interview recently, Captain Barks said he felt we needed 11 wins from our remaining 17 (?) games to be in the automatic promotion hunt. Now that we appear to have players falling by the wayside through injuries and suspensions, I think, and I hope I am wrong, some of the "weaknesses" in the squad may be our downfall.
Creswells suspension for the next 3 games is as bigger blow as losing Timlin, and losing Timlin as big as losing Tomlin.
The rest of the squad really do need to step up to the plate, and prove why they were signed up, and perform. PS and his backroom staff need to work their magic too, PS keeping on top of strategies/tactics and our physios keeping on top of knocks and niggles.
For me, the games this month, Cheltenham, Northampton, Wycombe and Barnet, will be the deciding factor whether we stay in this league for another year, and Im hoping for 7 out of 12 points.

Edited because I forgot the Wycombe fixture!

The problem is the rest of the squad show no sign of stepping up. Spicer, Benyon, Eastwood and Harris couldnt score against a Ryman team on wednesday, and Straker was hopeless today. Only Eastwood of them has scored this season.

Looking at the fixture list, we have more home games, and if we can sort our squad out with a few loans and get players fit, I would say we have a favourable run in...The season seems to end a week early this year, doesn't even go in to May.

Looking at the fixture list, we have more home games, and if we can sort our squad out with a few loans and get players fit, I would say we have a favourable run in...The season seems to end a week early this year, doesn't even go in to May.

I think it's the Champions League final that is to be played at Wembley which has made them bring everything forward a week, play off finals weekend is 18/19th May.

H Cheltenham draw 1
H Northampton win 3
(H JPT Orient draw)
A Wycombe draw 1
A Barnet win 3

We need 11 wins plus a couple of draws from the remaining 16 matches to reach 82 points, which should be enough for automatic promotion. I can't see us getting anything out of the away matches at Port Vale and Bradford, so that doesn't leave much room for slip-ups. I'm concerned that both the Northampton and Wycombe games may be affected by the JPT match. Last season we were one point short at the end..... let's not have that again!

Back