• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EastStandBlue

Life President
If ever there was any doubt regarding Manny Pacquiao's claim to the pound-for-pound crown, it was swept away with a simply stunning performance last night.

The Phillipino, dubbed Pac Man, stormed to a win over the supremely talented Miguel Cotto and, in doing so, claimed his fifth world title at his fifth weight class. Much had been made of the his recent opponents, with the Cotto camp considering De La Hoya as washed up and Hatton as "vastly overrated" before stating their belief that Cotto was the first real test of Manny's career.

One minute into the fight, and you could've mistaken them for being right. Cotto prodded at Pacquiao with real pace, power and precision, seemingly hurting Freddie Roach's protege. Make no mistake, MIguel Cotto is more than a match for most fighters and, with that start, much of the Las Vegas strip were beginning to wonder what the hype was all about.

Until, of course, Pac Man came out for the second.

Pacquiao is a King in his native Phillipines. When he fights, the country grinds to a halt and, when he's not training in Las Vegas, he exploits his freedom of the country with an entourage that would embarass a small army. With this victory, the whole world will stop to watch this man fight.

Cotto might well have been given extra belief and vigour from the first exchanges, but the disheartening truth for the Puerto Rican was that Pac Man had a fourth, fifth and sixth gear to step in to before dismantling the WBO Welterweight Champ. Cotto tasted canvas in the third and fourth rounds, falling to Pacquiao's supreme speed and accuracy and, in all honesty, the fight could've been stopped then. I would say that, though, as £10 on Pacquiao to win in the 4th at 5-1 would've made staying up till 4am all the more worthwhile.

The next seven rounds was business as usual. Pacquiao danced around his opponent, his money-shot left-hook taking its toll on Cotto. The referee could have, and probably should have, ended the fight in the 11th but nobody could forgive Cotto a chance of being one of the only men to go the distance with the scorching five weight champion.

Kenny Bayless eventually called time 55 seconds into the final round, Cotto looking a bloody, beaten and bruised shadow of his former self. "I didn't know from where the punches were coming," Cotto said before being taken to hospital as a precaution.

Pacquiao remained coy after the fight, admitting that Cotto had hurt him before stating his need of a vacation before his next fight, but the fact remains that there is only one man left to fight, the scalp that would reaffirm Pac Man's status as pound-for-pound king. Money Mayweather made short work of Juan Manuel Marquez after his farcical stint in the WWE and a fight with Pacquiao could prove to be the fight of the decade.

Mayweather remains undefeated, and carries many of the same attributes as Pacquiao... A battle between the two is what the boxing world wants, and it'll finally be what the boxing world gets.

Last edited:
Mayweather remains undefeated, and carries many of the same attributes as Pacquiao... A battle between the two is what the boxing world wants, and it'll finally be what the boxing world gets.

Excellent piece, ESB. As to the above, my query is, simply: will the fight happen, or will the respective camps worry that their man has too much to lose by going into the fight...?

It would be a huge fight if it were to happen - sort of Hagler v. Leonard stratosphere...

Excellent piece, ESB. As to the above, my query is, simply: will the fight happen, or will the respective camps worry that their man has too much to lose by going into the fight...?

It would be a huge fight if it were to happen - sort of Hagler v. Leonard stratosphere...

Mayweather's all about the money, and this fight could easily see him gross $100m. Pacquaio's all about the glory, and a victory over Mayweather would see him dispose of the last obstacle between him and the absolute undisputed pound-for-pound crown.

The fight will appeal to both camps for different reasons, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Mayweather Snr. and Jnr. put aside their differences for him to coach him in the lead-up to this fight... Snr. has something to prove against Roach and this would probably be his last opportunity to do so.

THe only stumbling block I can forsee hitting this fight is the what weight class it'll be fought at. Pacquiao is undispute King at five weights, debatable King at two others and Mayweather fought his last fight at a catchweight... Mayweather won't want to budge from where he comfortably fights at for the same reasons Pacquiao won't cut to meet Mayweather; it's those inches and pounds that'll decide the winner.

The only fight in my life time I remember being anywhere near as big would be Tyson vs Holyfield, I just hope this actually happens.

EDIT: Nice to see Mayweather dangling the carrot this morning, saying he'd "easily" beat Pacquiao if the fight was to go ahead...

Last edited:
Sounds to me like Mayweather is ******** it. He didn't look happy in an interview on SSN.

THe only stumbling block I can forsee hitting this fight is the what weight class it'll be fought at. Pacquiao is undispute King at five weights, debatable King at two others and Mayweather fought his last fight at a catchweight... Mayweather won't want to budge from where he comfortably fights at for the same reasons Pacquiao won't cut to meet Mayweather; it's those inches and pounds that'll decide the winner.

TBH I can't see it being that much of a problem, as both have been fighting around the same weight over their last 3-4 fights, not to mention they are both multiple champions at different weights. Pacman 5 time champ at 5 weights, Mayweather 6 times champ at 5 weights. That's why i'm sure the weight won't matter TOO much. As you said, both have lots to gain from the fight, so i'd have thought negotiations will be quite quick and smooth, without many hitches.

Pacman has looked comfortable at the 140lb and the 147lb marks, the same weight Mayweather has become accustomed to, so i would have thought the bout would be at welterweight but IF the 2 decidied to fight at a catch weight, it'll be somewhere betwen these marks. Maybe the 144lb mark that Mayweather-Marquez was?

TBH I can't see it being that much of a problem, as both have been fighting around the same weight over their last 3-4 fights, not to mention they are both multiple champions at different weights. Pacman 5 time champ at 5 weights, Mayweather 6 times champ at 5 weights. That's why i'm sure the weight won't matter TOO much. As you said, both have lots to gain from the fight, so i'd have thought negotiations will be quite quick and smooth, without many hitches.

Pacman has looked comfortable at the 140lb and the 147lb marks, the same weight Mayweather has become accustomed to, so i would have thought the bout would be at welterweight but IF the 2 decidied to fight at a catch weight, it'll be somewhere betwen these marks. Maybe the 144lb mark that Mayweather-Marquez was?

I'd imagine that'd be the ideal weight for the pair of them, but knowing boxers, especially those with as much to gain/lose from a fight as big as this, they'll be doing everything in their power to be as comfortable as possible going into this fight.

Back