• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Five Star

Xàbia Shrimper

Co-founder of ShrimperZone
A new bar has opened on Jávea beach front called "Five Star" and it led us to have a discussion about the Romford band Five Star who were about in the latter part of the 80's and were touted as Britain's 'Jackson 5'.

At the time we couldn't remember any of their songs (figures) but this morning I've taken a look online and I'm amazed that they are still performing together as a group!

I remember seeing one of their first ever PA's at Zero Six back in about 1984/1985; I can't say I was that impressed.

Anyone else recall them?

9724.jpg

WS

I remember seeing on of them walking around Romford years ago and she had a long line of people following her, she was loving the attention.
They were like a qintet of Michael Jackson clones and had a hit, I think, with Sytem addict or something.
Awful Cheesey bubblegum pop.

I seem to remember them building thier own huge recording studio and then going broke.

I used to work in Romford at the time and they used to swan around in a gold rolls royce.

I think one of the blokes had a bit of 'police trouble' a few years back - allegedly

They were the Pearson family & the eldest sister (lead singer) was called Denise. Songs I remember were Rain or Shine & System Addict at already mentioned.

Didn't they all have an addiction to fast cars & big houses hence one of the reasons why they ended up bankrupt?

I seem to think at least one of them has experimented with plastic surgery a la familie Jackson, from the last time they surfaced on TV.

Also, there was also the classic Elliott/Saturday Superstore phone-in incident which myself & MtS have mentioned on here a few times in other topics.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ June 17 2005,09:10)]Also, there was also the classic Elliott/Saturday Superstore phone-in incident which myself & MtS have mentioned on here a few times in other topics.
laugh.gif

What was the question again? It was something along the lines of "why are you so f***ing sh*t?", wasn't it?

rock.gif
laugh.gif

The odd thing was, that particular event didn't deter the Beeb from continuing to do phone-ins... which was either very brave, or very ostrich-like!

oops.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 17 2005,09:14)]What was the question again?  It was something along the lines of "why are you so f***ing sh*t?", wasn't it?
Yep, spot on. Sarah Greene's face was a picture.

The pure genius of it was that he must have had a quality question in the first place to con them into putting him on!
biggrin.gif

As Loaded introduced into the nation's vocabulary.
GOOD WORK FELLA, Elliott we salute you!

The slightest touch was indeed a classic, along with can't wait another minute and strong as steel. This band were absolute pop genius, good pop music sung with passion, i own rain or shine silk & steel on lp and still play it sometimes when in a retro mood.
Thier old house was featured on a ch 5 makeover programme a few months back where they were trying to sell their chandaliers on e-bay, not surprisingly they didn't sell.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 17 2005,10:14)]What was the question again?  It was something along the lines of "why are you so f***ing sh*t?", wasn't it?
That was actually directed to the band Matt Bianco! Or lightning really does strike twice and it happened to two bands on live TV!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ June 17 2005,17:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 17 2005,10:14)]What was the question again?  It was something along the lines of "why are you so f***ing sh*t?", wasn't it?
That was actually directed to the band Matt Bianco! Or lightning really does strike twice and it happened to two bands on live TV!
Lightning must have struck twice.
It was DEFINITELY 5 Star.

It's been on some of those Car Crash Tele Top100 progs that seem to dominate Bank Holiday Schedules on Ch4 & Ch5 these days.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ June 17 2005,18:14)]
[b said:
[b said:

It's been on some of those Car Crash Tele Top100 progs that seem to dominate Bank Holiday Schedules on Ch4 & Ch5 these days.
Cool! I remember that Matt Bianco one very well but I can't recall the Five Star outburst.

WS

Yep, I remember the outburst in question as being directed at 5 Star... and I have visions of a speechless / embarrassed Sarah Green (top telly totty!)

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ June 18 2005,10:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ June 17 2005,18:14)]
[b said:
[b said:

Cool! I remember that Matt Bianco one very well but I can't recall the Five Star outburst.

WS
Deffo twice. The Matt Bianco one was on Saturday Superstore with Mike Read and went along the lines of:

Read: "The next caller is Johnny from Wimbledon, your question to Matt Bianco"

Johnny: "Matt Bianco, why are you are bunch of wan£3rs"

Matt Bianco sat in stunned silence, apart from one who was pi$$ing himself laughing.

There was a happy ending, though, as Mike Read shortly afterwards retired from the prog.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 20 2005,12:44)]Yep, I remember the outburst in question as being directed at 5 Star...  and I have visions of a speechless / embarrassed Sarah Green (top telly totty!)

biggrin.gif
A similar thing happened on the mid-90s post-pub sports show 'Under The Moon'. Used to watch it after a Wednesday night down the Union when I was a student.

Not a bad show, but they were stupid enough to have a live phone-in after midnight.

Anyway, the host was the portly Danny Kelly and one of the guests was Les Ferdinand. Viewer calls in:

Viewer - "Hi, I've a question for Les Ferdinand"
Danny Kelly - "Ok mate, fire away"
Viewer - "I'd just like to ask you Les - what are doing sitting next to that fat c**t?"

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ June 20 2005,14:33)]Anyway, the host was the portly Danny Kelly and one of the guests was Les Ferdinand. Viewer calls in:

Viewer - "Hi, I've a question for Les Ferdinand"
Danny Kelly - "Ok mate, fire away"
Viewer - "I'd just like to ask you Les - what are doing sitting next to that fat c**t?"

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
I really hate that condesceding fat Spurs w*nker!
At least his TV appearances are few & far between these days.

Did he also not have a real dig at us around the time of the Whelan suspension after the "incident" at Maine Rd?

Back