• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bob Cratchitt

Devil's Advocate
Just thought I would put this up to see if anyone can make recommendations.

Just got back from hols and low and behold the boiler has packed in, I spent 2 hours Saturday night trying to get it working . However on Sunday morning 2hours after it was meant to, it suddenly started up and worked all day, but since then nothing, so cold house Monday and again today. :(

It is a Potterton Prima F60 and its current symptoms are it tries to start up but no joy, the fan kicks in but there is no clicking of the Piezo starter, then after a 5-10 secs the fan stops and then 30 secs later it tries again. Repeat process until I turn off the heating.

So I am guessing i need someone to fix this. I have seen the British Gas are offering a one off fixed price of £156 to fix a boiler. Has anyone used this service and is it worth it?

Or does anybody know a name of a Corgi Reg Boiler man who would do the work for around the same price or cheaper, who is reputable and trust worthy?

I have seen too many investigation programmes to see how this area has it's fair share of cowboys. :cool:

I could replace the boiler but as we maybe moving soon this is not something I want to entertain unless really necessary.

Try Dave the Gas mate ...07802266630.

Just as an afterthought. You do have water pressure dont you ?

Pfff... Pottertons are not the best, it has to be said. I had one, fixed it, and then it continued to go t*ts up until I had to replace it.

Is it a Combi boiler? If so, unless it has been annually serviced, it's unlikely to last much beyond 10 years. If it's that sort of age, you may be throwing good money after bad.

:confused:

It is not a combi so water pressure is not so much a problem IIRC.

At the moment with the wife's current plan to move, i am more concerned getting it fixed for the short term, for the least cost. so if a fixed price* call out can solve the problem then that will be the choice.

* according to BG - all parts and labour are covered by this one off cost. You take the gamble that the part is only £5 and the labour is 20mins but I guess the part could end up being £118 and 3 hours of labour and also they claim if it is not fixed then no charge.

So was seeing whether anyone had used this service as it seems to good to be true and i am wondering what is the catch.

At the moment with the wife's current plan to move, i am more concerned getting it fixed for the short term, for the least cost. so if a fixed price* call out can solve the problem then that will be the choice.

* according to BG - all parts and labour are covered by this one off cost. You take the gamble that the part if only £5 and the labour is 20mins but I guess the part could end up being £118 and 3 hours of labour and also they claim if it is not fixed then no charge.

So was seeing whether anyone had used this service as it seems to good to be true and i am wondering what is the catch.

I'm sure the catch is that a lot of jobs are cheap and quick to fix and they basically con the elderly and single mums when their boiler packs in... but other than that it sounds like a good deal

*scratches head* yup............... sounds to me like you've got a problem with your ignition and could to with a injector pipe.

Could be the Flue Fan which is about £120.....and yes Potterton Primas are s**t !

There was a lengthy piece on BBC Watchdog about Potterton Boilers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/reports/homes/homes_20070206.shtml

We recently had our back boiler removed and a new boiler installed in the loft. Got a number of quotes and in the end went with Raymond C. Heating based in Pall Mall, Leigh . Good price (not the cheapest), but excellent customer service and didn't treat you like an idiot (unlike BG).

John

I have seen too many investigation programmes to see how this area has it's fair share of cowboys. :cool:

I could replace the boiler but as we maybe moving soon this is not something I want to entertain unless really necessary.

I too have a Potteron boiler, although I can't remember exactly which, it is a Prima.

We also recently had a similar problem with the thing not firing up when programmed or switching off half way through.

Had too many local 'no job too small' plumbers / engineers round. None of them knew what it was.

Eventually called Potterton and they quoted me something like £250 quid to repair the boiler, plus that included a £1000 parts warranty if anything happened to any other part of the boiler within the next 12 months.

Seems like a lot, but I thought it was well worth it expecially when you think how much I'd already paid out.
How many other local firms would I have to call out to get it fixed and who would give the same guarantees.

Works like a dream now.

My advise: go to the manufacturer direct.

* according to BG - all parts and labour are covered by this one off cost. You take the gamble that the part is only £5 and the labour is 20mins but I guess the part could end up being £118 and 3 hours of labour and also they claim if it is not fixed then no charge.

And there is always the danger that they will instantly condemn and then charge for a new boiler and labour.

I must admit to having heard stories from friends who are corgi registered that this can happen with BG

Thanks everyone. Does seem that BG is not the best way forward. And I have seen a few other boards where people suggest using the Manufacturers. So i will probably see how much the recommended people charge to come and have a look as it could be something straight forward. Although contacting Potterton will be used if the cost is too much.

Back