• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

danburyshrimper

Manager
Assuming our Hull match is on the Sunday 26th ( as seems likely ) , we then have a League 2 match at Dagenham on Tuesday 28th quickly followed by a friday night fixture at home to Newport on the 31st. 3 tough matches in this short space of time is league promotion chasing suicide...... We should look at maybe re arranging the friday night fixture back to Sunday 2nd Feb ( im sure Newport fans would prefer this too )

3 games in 6 days is ridiculous + apart from more than likely picking up injuries our players will be knackered. . . and with Newport being one of our main rivals for a promotion place we need to seriously think about rearranging this game. PDQ.

If I were Newport I would put my foot down and refuse to co-operate with a re-arrangement - after all, it was us that requested the Friday night game instead of the Saturday in the first place.

I think we'd be more likely to persuade Daggers to postpone to the following Tuesday night.

Agree, that week looks pretty clogged up with a Sunday FA Cup game.

You make good points and three games in six days is ludicrous with our small squad. I cannot imagine fellow promotion challengers Newport County thinking "I know, we'll help The Shrimpers out so that they won't be knackered and present us with three easy points"..can you???

I don't see a problem with it. You are assuming we will play on the Sunday, assuming the same line-up will start each game , assuming we will be picking up injuries and that they players will be knackered after playing 3 games in a week.

After the Newport game, our next game is on a Saturday with plenty of time to recover. Before the Hull game, we have 2 games with 6 days in between each.

How much difference in terms of recovery there between 3 games in 7 days (as originally scheduled) and 3 games in 6 days? I doubt much.

Don't agree that it is that simple ChapperzUK. Bigger clubs with much bigger and more versatile squads would be complaining at three games in six days...if the cup tie is a Sunday fixture. Actually, I am struggling to remember Southend United ever playing three games in six days? Perhaps very late in a season - if ever? Is a very difficult schedule - but one of our own making.

I think we'd be more likely to persuade Daggers to postpone to the following Tuesday night.

I might be wrong but I think one needs a legitimate reason to rearrange a match ....... and "our players are tired" doesn't seem to be suitable.

Now floodlight failure is a different kettle of fish and so is a pitch that would be better planted with rice ........... or alternatively Brown & Penney & Coughlan in conjunction, liaison and association with Ronald Martin need to plan to have the personnel in place ......... signing Thommo and/or getting Kiernan back would be a good start. :thumbsup:

if we're the 12.45 game on the Saturday, we'll actually be better off than both Daggers and Newport, so might not be a bad thing...

...and it could be worse: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21799015

This from last season " Guernsey FC will play 17 games in April as their fixture pile-up continues after making the FA Vase semi-finals. There are three weekends where they will play consecutively on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday. "

Makes our 3 games in 6 days on a bog of a pitch with a squad of 20 players a walk in the park.

To be fair the pitch normally drains very well. So if it does stop raining then the surface should at least be flat and will hold studs.

And let's not forget the old days when some pitches were quite simply rolled earth from one goal area to the other with some green down either wing. If my memory is correct Roots Hall rarely got to that state but we had to go away and play on these pitches.

Let's thank our lucky stars we're not still involved in the JPT, that would give us another two games to arrange in February. Originally, February only had us playing three games, the re-arranged fixture against Hartlepool has added an extra one. Although that's all rather deceiving as it has been pointed out, we are playing 31st January and also on the 1st of March. Let's hope that Northampton game can be re-arranged for April as we already have six games in March (including the one on the First). God knows what happens if, on the off-chance, we were successful against Hull! :omg:

I don't see what the problem is, the players are professional.

We would have had a game that weekend anyway so it would still be three games in a week. As there is a full league fixture for the midweek following the 4th round a lot of teams will be dreading a Sunday game.

I think it's great we're in the 4th round and I suppose the players are. If we put up a good showing against Hull I think it will carry over for the rest of the season.

I don't see what the problem is, the players are professional.

We would have had a game that weekend anyway so it would still be three games in a week. As there is a full league fixture for the midweek following the 4th round a lot of teams will be dreading a Sunday game.

I think it's great we're in the 4th round and I suppose the players are. If we put up a good showing against Hull I think it will carry over for the rest of the season.

That (above). Well said. :thumbsup:

Actually, I am struggling to remember Southend United ever playing three games in six days? Perhaps very late in a season - if ever?

I don't really like making "When I were a nipper" comments but in the sixties it was not uncommon to have, as part of the original schedule, 3 matches in FOUR days at Easter: Good Friday, then the next day and then the Monday. In April 1965 we played HUll City (!) on the Friday at home, and then Bristol Rovers away the next day and Hull away on the Monday. It goes without saying that we beat Hull City that year {2-1, with goals from Bentley (midfielder) and king (full-back)}.

It's a nice problem to have, better than Saturdays off with no match because we're out of the cup!

Don't agree that it is that simple ChapperzUK. Bigger clubs with much bigger and more versatile squads would be complaining at three games in six days...if the cup tie is a Sunday fixture. Actually, I am struggling to remember Southend United ever playing three games in six days? Perhaps very late in a season - if ever? Is a very difficult schedule - but one of our own making.

It all depends on if we agree to have the game on Sunday though. Also I am sure that whoever plays against Hull will be rested against Dagenham. People say we have a small squad, yet we are moaning about signing "yet another" midfielder and have 2 strikers who have rarely played.

If I were Newport I would put my foot down and refuse to co-operate with a re-arrangement - after all, it was us that requested the Friday night game instead of the Saturday in the first place.

Agree, that week looks pretty clogged up with a Sunday FA Cup game.

I know I'm unduly pessimistic,but"the following Tuesday night" I expect to be spending on the banks of the River Humber!

...and it could be worse: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21799015

This from last season " Guernsey FC will play 17 games in April as their fixture pile-up continues after making the FA Vase semi-finals. There are three weekends where they will play consecutively on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday. "

Makes our 3 games in 6 days on a bog of a pitch with a squad of 20 players a walk in the park.

Dear God!! :stunned:

Back